Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Internet Explorer Updates - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

jad3

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 pm   Reply with quote         

Using internet explorer just got worse! Sad . Anyone else recently run windows update? I have, and now users have to "click to activate" flash content. Sites made in 100% Flash are completely ruined. It also messes up other things like active X and shockwave.

There is a way of stopping it in Javascript but as a web designer myself this has made life a lot more difficult. And as a web surfer myself this has made life a lot more annoying. I think i'll make the move over to Firefox a perminant one!

At least its easy enough to chop. All you need is Photoshop and err... Photoshop really Very Happy

Micose

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Internet explorer just stinks for me too. Cool
TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:03 pm   Reply with quote         

jad3 wrote:
Using internet explorer just got worse! Sad . Anyone else recently run windows update? I have, and now users have to "click to activate" flash content. Sites made in 100% Flash are completely ruined. It also messes up other things like active X and shockwave.

There is a way of stopping it in Javascript but as a web designer myself this has made life a lot more difficult. And as a web surfer myself this has made life a lot more annoying. I think i'll make the move over to Firefox a perminant one!

At least its easy enough to chop. All you need is Photoshop and err... Photoshop really Very Happy

Do you know the specifc KBB number of the update? Splodge was talking about it in chat. Now our network admin wants to know which one it is so that he can head it off as long as possible.

jad3

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:32 pm   Reply with quote         

according to this site: http://capitalhead.com/articles/click-to-activate-and-use-this-control---kb912812.aspx the update is KB912812.

Blame it all on KB912812 Confused . I lost in the H2H tournament: that's KB912812's fault. Laughing

FootFungas

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:46 pm   Reply with quote         

USE FIREFOX!, I COMMAND YOU!

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:17 pm   Reply with quote         

all i can sugest for now is to delete the last 5 ms security updates, dated aprox, april 13th, until the web builders get around to fixing the sites, there is a fix but it's a huge project, and i run 5 sites Crying or Very sad
some sites will never be fixed, i dont like firefox, but,,,,,, it's the only way to go apart from deleting the updates Confused

open control panel > add/remove > make sure you have 'show updates' selected,

Hallcross Toots
jasper

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Now if have to re-code about 160 websites that use flash Shocked

the javascript workaround from adobe does the trick, but it still takes a while to get 'er done.

splodge

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Here jasper, the nice man at cartoonsmart.com has tested the various fixes and shows you in video form, the best way to fix multple flash objects, still a lot of work naming every object, but he realy knows his stuff,
download the video here,

http://www.cartoonsmart.com/change_code.html

THIS TEXT FILE SHOULD ACCOMPANY A FREE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO FROM CARTOONSMART.COM

----------------------------------------
So what exactly will appear at the bottom of your Flash files if you DON'T switch the way you embed your swfs? Take a look...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/graphics/activating_activex_fig01.gif

Crazy right? Here's more about ActiveX controls... (hiss!)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp

...Despite your first thought, Microsoft isn't doing this to be a pain. They got sued. Here's the full scoop...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/15/microsoft_loses_521m_eolas_patent/

One workaround is the FlashObject method of embedding Flash (Created By: Geoff Stearns)

http://blog.deconcept.com/flashobject/

(I'll describe this method in a free video with this text file)

Other pages you might want to check out...

Macromedia / Adobe's method of fixing the problem

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html

Hallcross Toots
splodge

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:34 pm   Reply with quote         

an even briefer explanation can be found here Laughing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BzbOoJNC_TU&search=retarded%20browsers

Hallcross Toots
wendysmurfie

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:38 am   Reply with quote         

uhm.. i had installed that updat to. I had to log in every time i visit this site. And our baby site did not work good anymore. Now i deleted the update but i still have to press login everytime. It does remember name and pass, but it doesn't log me in automaticly anymore. How can i fix that?

edit: it does login if i enter something on this site Confused So if i look at the contest or a forum topic it does.. just not when loading the homepage first time.

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:09 am   Reply with quote         

wendysmurfie wrote:
uhm.. i had installed that updat to. I had to log in every time i visit this site. And our baby site did not work good anymore. Now i deleted the update but i still have to press login everytime. It does remember name and pass, but it doesn't log me in automaticly anymore. How can i fix that?

edit: it does login if i enter something on this site Confused So if i look at the contest or a forum topic it does.. just not when loading the homepage first time.

I have that login problem as well. Another annoying thing Evil or Very Mad about that update. No good has come from that update just more key presses and mouse clicks.

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:30 am   Reply with quote         

ahhhhhhhhhhh the way to go is to befriend the fox that is on fire...... he has the answers you do seek...ahhhhhhh Bow Bow Bow Hmmm Hmmm

splodge

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:37 am   Reply with quote         

i deleted the updates, but i'm having the same log in prob's

Hallcross Toots
jad3

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:50 am   Reply with quote         

i think the login problem must be to do with the site itself because i just tested it on my works computer that hasn't got the windows update and the login still disappears. the plot thickens Laughing

FootFungas

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:34 am   Reply with quote         

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Internet Explorer Updates - Reply to topic