Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

supak0ma

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:08 am   Reply with quote         

i still agree with myself, now thats something.

CoZ

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:42 am   Reply with quote         

How about having 2 contests running parallel ? eg, A Higher level one where the entries have to be of a high quality & skill level, and a second 'free for all' where it's the ideas not the skill that count.

For the higher level version, in the event of a sub standard pic been put forward, the comment form could be used to advise the poster how to improve the image & get it upto standard (in a sensitive manor).

I personally think most of the images be they perfectly executed or mashed together in minutes are great. It's people using their imaginations & putting them forth visually for other people to enjoy/hate. Either way it gets people thinking & reacting and thats cool in my book Smile

just thought i'd post my thoughts/ideas

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:51 am   Reply with quote         

You will only improve the best of you play with the big boys ...

clantoncs

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:20 am   Reply with quote         

Dear God! This is one of the longest running posts I've ever seen! It's more than ONE YEAR LONG!!!

So, to further beat a dead horse. I've only ever known the 25 votes system, and I think it's great. My entries almost always get less than 10 votes, and most would probably get 0 on the old system. Sometimes, I think I'm a little undervoted because I can't afford the Advantage and have to post late, but usually I feel that the votes are about right. In any case, I'm not going to go all Unlimted Horizen and complain in the forum about why my post isn't number one. I get my 10 votes and the bad ass posters like Rey Rey et. al. still get their 50 plus votes. This is pretty fair (with a little bit of OVER-voting on some posts, maybe-- but pretty fair, nonetheless)

In short, I agree with what Blurker said about a year ago that it's about positive reinforcement. If I spent a few hours working really hard on a post and then it got no votes, I wouldn't say, "wow! I can improve! Let me put in 6 hours tomorrow, so I can move from 0 votes to 3!" . I'd just say, "screw this. Why even bother trying to figure it out?" The first time I ever posted, it was admittedly a piece of sh*t, (though it did have a reflection!). I got a few votes for it, though, and that's what made me want to keep trying. A vote doesn't necessarily mean (for me anyway), that a post is a beautiful work of art-- it just means, I took the time to look at the work you did, and I recognize the effort you put into it.

I still don't get many votes, but I do feel like I've improved a lot not just in skill but in creativity. The votes I get just further encourage me. I've been ghosting around worth 1000 for a few days, and just really can't get into the anonymous, elitist attitude they have there. This site is great because it allows badasses to show what they can do as well as encourage newbies (or bad-chops-ies like myself) to compete with the badasses and still feel a bit accomplished.

OK. I have thoroughly beaten this corpse of a horse topic.

--Chris

mikey

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:03 pm   Reply with quote         

It's all in the eye of the beholder" as the saying goes, different tastes in art, different tastes in music ect.. you just dont know what will do well! do the best you can always trying to improve your photoshop skills, there's all kinds of skill levels at PSC, some people are so good that they are going to do well no matter what they submit!
this is a contest, but it is'nt kill or be killed! Laughing You want to learn something? ask questions" most people are willing to teach what they know" bottom line is have fun, encourage eachother, and learn and grow together. Very Happy

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:18 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with mikey....just have fun and chop...the rest is just details

blue_lurker

Post Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 am   Reply with quote         

This thread need to be aried once again, take the time and read what has been said it may just make you change a few things about how you vote.

rockyjob

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:

supa,

I wasn't really talking about friends voting for friends,

I was talking about people voting for underserving entries because they
are trying to be nice. They are being friendly.

What I'm saying is, because I doubt this site will go back to 10 or 15 votes any time soon,
people should be discretionary with their votes.

If you keep voting for simple cut an paste jobs, you are encouraging poor work.

It's ok to leave encouraging comments without voting.

EXACTLY!! I see a lot of people voting for chops that SUCK a lot, have no shadows, or use a lot of layer effects (bevel) and drop shadow. Being friendly by voting for the person is really FUCKED UP. It doesn't help the chopper, he thinks he's good if that happens. I've seen some winning entries that In my opinion were embarassing to see on the front page, because of the shitty voters that say " Nice idea", "FANTASTIC, Epic win", " I like what you did with the source", "diferent " to a crappy, horrible entry...(I won't put up names but you know who you are)

ReinMan

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:16 am   Reply with quote         

rockyjob wrote:
badcop wrote:

supa,

What I'm saying is, because I doubt this site will go back to 10 or 15 votes any time soon,

EXACTLY!! I see a lot of people voting for chops that SUCK a lot, have no shadows, or use a lot of layer effects (bevel) and drop shadow. Being friendly by voting for the person is really FUCKED UP. It doesn't help the chopper, he thinks he's good if that happens. I've seen some winning entries that In my opinion were embarassing to see on the front page, because of the shitty voters that say " Nice idea", "FANTASTIC, Epic win", " I like what you did with the source", "diferent " to a crappy, horrible entry...(I won't put up names but you know who you are)

You leave me OUT of this! Evil or Very Mad

: P

supak0ma

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:21 am   Reply with quote         

rockyjob wrote:
badcop wrote:

supa,

AMEN

rockyjob

Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:21 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
rockyjob wrote:
badcop wrote:

supa,

You leave me OUT of this! Evil or Very Mad

: P

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Granulated

Post Wed May 06, 2009 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
This thread need to be aried once again, take the time and read what has been said it may just make you change a few things about how you vote.

YAH!!

I can't believe how so many people never seem to improve, even after 200+ entries. I can only think they can't be bothered because they've gradually built up a 'following' that guarantees them at least 30 votes for anything they submit..and dont get me started on the bizarre voting in the dog nose macro contest...

Post Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 am   Reply with quote         

dewking wrote:
I agree with blue...

somehow there has been an extreme change lately. A few month back it was all unreal posts that deserved 80+ votes... now, its like fark around here. Bad copy/paste jobs, no proportion, blurred images because they were scaled up from tiny images...

Seems some things haven't changed.

Post Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 am   Reply with quote         

still think you should earn votes

A vote you get is a vote you (can) give. (possibly with a default LOW amount of standard votes per contest)

arcaico

Post Wed May 06, 2009 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Granulated wrote:

YAH!!

I can't believe how so many people never seem to improve, even after 200+ entries.

Hi Sean!

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - 25 votes, downfall of quality!? - Reply to topic