Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Fotographers critique - Reply to topic

gsaenz

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:24 am   Reply with quote         

After "thinking about it" for 5 years, I finaly decided to update to digital. Last night I went and took some pictures with the tripod to make some panoramics.

These are the setting that I used:
Focal Length 46/1
Exposure time 3/10
Aperture f/4.0
ISO 400 (should have used 200 or 100)
U/V filter. (I dont think I needed this, I forgot it was on there)

The only photoshop work that has been done is photomerge, resize down to 1600 width and save jpg. The raw was huge file.

This one is only two pictures, it has some lens flare, which I'm still getting used to.

This one is a combination of 5 pictures. I set the camara a tad to low and it cut a lot of the sky. regardless i like it. Plus it creates for a much larger image in case i wish to print.

tips, tricks, suggestions?

clantoncs

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:05 am   Reply with quote         

looks good!
Your lucky to have a digital camera where you can change the settings manually. My digital camera I got as a gift can't do that. It's a nice camera and all that, but presets f*ing SUCk!
The tripod is definitely necessity for any picture without a flash (unless it's a bright day). Your night pics look really good!

The best thing about having a digital camera is that you can make your own high-res stock image photos! I'd say I use something from my own photos in over 75% of my chops that aren't all source!

Can't wait to see what else you do with it!

-Chris

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am   Reply with quote         

Sweet pics! I like the first one the best but you did great work stitching the second one together.

supak0ma

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:52 am   Reply with quote         

you can leave the UV filter on to protect the lense, what camera did you get? as i know of lens flare can't be corrected and its a flaw of the lense, you would have to move to a different position where the light rays don't go in such a direction to make your lens "flare". Please some pro correct me on this if i'm wrong.

couldb5150

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:05 am   Reply with quote         

lOOKS VERY COOL...TRIPODS ARE A MUST FOR THIS TYPE OF WORK..IVE DONE QUITE A FEW LIKE THIS ...ALSO ITS REALLY COOL TO USE A 360 DEGREE PROGAM THAT EMBEDDES AN EXECUTABLE FILE ALONG WITH THE (STICH,MERGE ETC) OF PICS ..SO WHEN SOMEONE OPENS IT UP IT MOVES EITHER L-R OR R-L IN A 360 DEGREE VIEW...SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU SEE ON REALESTATE SITES WITH VIRTUAL WALKTHROUHS...I HAVE A REALLY COOL ONE (PROGRAM) THATS EASY AND FAST TO USE ...IF INTERESTED LET ME KNOW AND i'LL SEND YA A COPY ...OTHER THAN THAT NICE WORK ...AND GOOD LUCK W THE NEW CAM !!!
....OH YEAH LASTLY ....NEXT PANARAMIC IMAGE YA DO I WANT TO SEE HOOTER GIRLS LINED UP WITH PITCHERS OF BEER IN HAND OK ???BA HAHAHAHAAHHAAH

IM OUT

CB

gsaenz

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Chris- I'm working on setting up a photoblog with me brother. If you want i can send link when done, for right now I'm going to use flickr I'll post the link when I do. I dont have the originals with me here, but if i remember correctly for the second panoramic it was around 42 megs and over 15k pixels wide. the first one is around 7k pixels wide. That should make for a nice print. I dont know how many pixels is an inch...
Tofu- thanks ,THe stitching was very easy, the tripod helps a lot.
supak0ma- I think your right about the lens flare theory. Not sure. Yes i leave the filter on just to protect the lens. I got a Canon 350d otherwise known as digital rebel xt. I had some lenses so I bought the kit only I've also been dreaming on a canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens which i also purchased, though this picture was taken with a Tamron 28-300.
CB- I will get my girlfriend and all her sirority sisters to line up for the next panoramic just for you. I will make sure to only have guiness or octoberfest as it is my beer of choice. Maybe I can get them to wash my car? hmm interesting. might just take the video camera instead....

supak0ma

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:12 pm   Reply with quote         

gsaenz wrote:

CB- I will get my girlfriend and all her sirority sisters to line up for the next panoramic just for you. I will make sure to only have guiness or octoberfest as it is my beer of choice. Maybe I can get them to wash my car? hmm interesting. might just take the video camera instead....

i look forward to thAT Razz

gsaenz

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:57 pm   Reply with quote         

you can look at more pictures of last night here

tobster

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:15 am   Reply with quote         

Nice , i shoot alot of night imagery for clients, if the image is still try al the lowest iso and go the long exposure like f22 at 4-5secs, your images will be less noisy more contrasty / depth with good colour gradation, also do a white balance, you will remove the red orange shades and have a true to colour image, also make sure u cover the eye piece as back light will enter through there, this also fogs the shot and looses crispness. this is a comon one people forget about. Keep up the good work

Paul Von Stetina

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Right on the money Tobster,
And great job gsaenz, have fun now that you made the switch, and just think, no more film or developing, but instead; ink cartridges, and photopaper, and memory chips, you may have to take that second job now anyway Laughing I shoot with a Nikon D100, it's nice being able to use all my lens's from my old 8008, as for the hooters girls, Shocked these were the only ones that showed up for the shot Wink

what should we do with these hooligans? Rolling Eyes

bx3800

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul that is a magnifrigginicent Photograph:.
My hats off to you kind sir:. Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Surprised Cool Laughing

nubie

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Nice lighting Paul!!! I love the way you got the face and the tummys without giving away the shadows of the legs!! Awsome awsome awsome!!! I will look foward to your advive in the future as I am a beginner and always look for tips. I have the D70. My daughter inspired me to buy a decent camera I just have to get a clue about photography,the more I learn the more I realise I dont know shit about it!!
qsaenz.....nice shots I hope to do some of the same soon.

ReinMan

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:07 am   Reply with quote         

Paul,

Can you post a small contact sheet for that shoot? I'd love to see it.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:03 am   Reply with quote         

Shocked I didn't shoot that! That picture is famous, I do have a PPS file for that, with a whole bunch more of those same girls doing some...things we can't talk about, if your over 21, IM me, and I'll send it to you Shocked
ReinMan, I'll need proof of ID Cool Laughing

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:22 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:
Shocked I didn't shoot that! That picture is famous,
lol, indeed it is, it's from playboy magazine (have you noticed the bunnies :p)
oh btw I only read the articles...

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Fotographers critique - Reply to topic