Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Learnin' About Layers in CS2 (f.k.a. Holy CRAP!) - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey Tofu...you want me to set up up a "learning psd"...

Showcase

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:14 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey, if Tofu doesnt, I would...and possibly others DP. If you found the time or already have one, I'd like to see it.

...just get it approved by Jerry717 first ok? Razz WHAT? Im kidding.
a learning psd sounds like just the thing to help...me.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Cool...give me a little bit to come up with one...

Tofu...have you no experience whatsoever with Photoshop?

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:22 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
Hey Tofu...you want me to set up up a "learning psd"...

YES!

digitalpharaoh wrote:
Cool...give me a little bit to come up with one...

Tofu...have you no experience whatsoever with Photoshop?

Nope DP. Yesterday was my very first hands-on exposure to PS. So I'm a virgin!

I've been playing around with the interface and new tool (healing brush, liquify, etc.) last night and this morning (hope the boss doesn't read this). I feel a bit more comfortable. What Marx-Man said is even comprehendible for me now! Laughing

There's quite a culture-shock effect when compared to what I've used before.

Marx-Man

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:52 pm   Reply with quote         

was going to post this earlier... it is a pretty basic button. i left onething down to you. the inversion mask that covers the whole area If you can set it to just the button area then you get a sticky star. Razz

Link deleted please use the link further down as the psd has been updated to hold some filter options.

no animation to it (that is imageready not ready for that yet r ya so it is just the up state)

i didnt add notes but i will do a walk through one day

FootFungas

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Just in case you need a never ending list of tutorials
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2127

FootFungas

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Hmmmm....If it wasn't jerry who was it? Maybe it was Serious.
Nope! it was krank.
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4052&highlight=gray+grey+burn

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, tofu...I PM'd you a link...It's nothing fancy, just some basics!

jerry717

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:40 pm   Reply with quote         

I'd be happy to make a basic layer example file when I get the time...along with a short version of interface basics that will speed up the learning process.

Jerry

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked

Thanks to everyone whose responded so far! I knew about the multiple tutorial threads but I got overwhelmed by the "I wanna try EVERYTHING AT ONCE" feeling when looking at the tuts out there. Then all the interface tuts were friggin boring as I already knew what each tool was (other than Healing and History Brush but those aren't tough to figure out).

So that's why I picked layers (or I guess specifically layer pallete) as a specific topic for the thread. It was the one area that I knew was very important and yet quite different from what I was used to in the layers for GIMP and FIreworks.

The .psds from DP and Marx have been quite helpful (but by all means if you want to post one please do! Wink. It's interesting to see how each is organized (and yes Marx's is organized and labeled this time around and appears to go along with what Reinman's Clipping Masks tut covers only way more complex).

Things I've already learned directly from this thread:

1. Sets are like "layers within a layer". Seems like this is similar to linking layers together but it gives you the added benefit of applying a layer style/effect to all the layers in the set at one time? Correct or no?

1.5 I learned how to create a layer set (and a set within a set)!

2. You can have multiples of layers linked to other layers. This is wicked helpful. In GIMP you could only have one set of linked layers (unless I didn't figure out how to link multiples). In Fireworks layers are like folders that you can have layers inside of (effectively the same thing as PSCS2 but different way of displaying it in the workspace).

2.5 I learned how to link and unlink layers! May seem like a simple thing but I thought it was cool.

3. Annotation Notes! I FRIGGIN LOVE THAT FEATURE! This is such a cool idea for when you want to share the .psd! How come nobody's mentioned those before? Hmmmm? I'm waiting for an explaination people! Laughing

4. You can color code layers! Wicked nifty for organizing related layers "at-a-glance"!

5. The layer icon thumbnails appear to reflect the purpose of that layer (i.e. curves adjustment, color, etc.)? That'll take some getting used to but if that's the case then I likey.

Keep 'em coming! Very Happy

Marx-Man

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

The colour swatched layer can have thier colour changed double click the colour in the layer pallette (i do it because it give extra options that just normal raster colours dont offer)also adjustment layers can be edited if you double click the thumbnail.

Note some are just a square covering the canvas in the vector area but they are set to a mask for more flexable shaping. plus if you have a selection on, then press add mask it will do it to the selection... there is some more candy for you sir Razz.

also you can... merge visible > set to selection > copy >history undo before merge. > paste and you will have a layer that matches the folder (comes in pretty handy for tweaking.

mikey

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:35 am   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Shocked

Thanks to everyone whose responded so far! I knew about the multiple tutorial threads but I got overwhelmed by the "I wanna try EVERYTHING AT ONCE" feeling when looking at the tuts out there. Then all the interface tuts were friggin boring as I already knew what each tool was (other than Healing and History Brush but those aren't tough to figure out). Very Happy

way to go, Tofu! I haven't tried CS2 yet, but the jump to Photoshop is well worth it!

Next on your list, you gotta get familiar with Quick mask and Layer masks....

Anyone that could give a tut on channels, I could benefit from that (as I'm sure others could also)! This is what this site is all about! Well, that and funny pictures in chat...

Oh, well since there are no pictures in chat, I guess this IS all this site is about.. Twisted Evil

jad3

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:43 am   Reply with quote         

Just a quick note Tofu, though, i think you would've figured it out anyway. At the start of the this thread people were explaining to you about "Layer Sets". However, there is nothing called a layer set in CS2. They have been renamed to, simply, "groups" just like illustrator i suppose. and thats my contribution... Shocked

Micose

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:01 am   Reply with quote         

and if u want to try a micose one just pm me,; ui would be proud to give u few tricks Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Learnin' About Layers in CS2 (f.k.a. Holy CRAP!) - Reply to topic