Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I'd like a REAL answer - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Marx-Man

Post Wed May 16, 2007 1:37 pm   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
.. you can't take advantage of your own source pic. Would you allow me to submit a source pic of my hand... then take a second one of it with the same angle, finger crossed (do some minors color changes just to say I chopped it) and enter that one in a contest?

No.

Hmm...

It's an interesting argument...

It all boils down to using externals...

Imean take the hand example...

The source could be his hand but then i take a picture of my hand and make it look like the source...

"No use of source but you can see the source"

It's one of those recreation jobs which is worth a simalar merit as a clean up but is treated with negative penalty.

My personal oppinion...

The source is the only thing that should be used in photoshop. the rest is skill and imagination... Limiting I know but at least it's fair... (Of course the contests would be a damn site more interesting and yeild more interesting results if say... there were three images and you had to use your imagination to chop them together.)

So instead of one source. you have 3 pics and you can either use 1, 2 or all 3. To make your entry and obviously the best intergration and idea and theme wins...

Assuming there isn't the ahem backstage fixing going on...

cafn8d

Post Wed May 16, 2007 1:38 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
Alex wrote:
.. you can't take advantage of your own source pic. Would you allow me to submit a source pic of my hand... then take a second one of it with the same angle, finger crossed (do some minors color changes just to say I chopped it) and enter that one in a contest?

No.

Your example is like the Anna Maria Jail example that Sean and Caffy brought up. No work done and just a different angle of the shot submitted as a chop. This is not what DP did. DP did use chop the original. In my opinion it was obvious what he did and therefore not a problem to me.

I recognize the argument that having alternative angles of the original source can be considered an unfair advantage. I don't think it is but I can understand how others do. I also agree that trying to pass off a different angle of the shot as a chop is bad. But again that's not what DP did.

If this had been a written "rule" that appeared in the FAQ, the site's TOU and/or image submission page then I'd be okay with yanking DP's entry. If DP had submitted the alternate angle as a stand alone chop I'd be okay with pulling it as well.

I did suggest that the Anna Maria jail doesn't really fit since no manipulation was done to the original start image (or the substituted image, for that matter). I also still think that this issue is like most any other where a good-fitting outside source is used, whether it's your own photo or not. A blanket rule that there should be a disclaimer of some kind about it in the author's notes would cover it, I think. my 2¢

Post Wed May 16, 2007 1:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I rarely look to see who submitted the source. Even rarer is looking to see who submitted the source and whether that person entered the contest.

Despite being the one who submitted the source DP should have included an author's note, especially so that all the new people can make the connection between what is photoshopped and his access to additional source angles. When I first looked at his image I thought he'd done something to the source.

Despite the low number of votes I don't think the entry should be brought back. What if it was the other way around and the entry had run up the votes because everyone thought it was an amazing job of choppin' vs. blending in additional source angles? Comparing this work to those who grab uncredited images is not the same.

IMO the person who submits the image doesn't need to disclose this fact when entering a contest unless they use additional angles. The reward for submitting royalty-free images to PSC and having them accepted is a time advantage when creating an entry. One could essentially take a month to create an image and then in the next month submit the source in hopes that it is accepted at some point. It's a fair advantage for giving the PSC community something to chop.

MindGraph

Post Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:
If this had been a written "rule" that appeared in the FAQ, the site's TOU and/or image submission page then I'd be okay with yanking DP's entry. If DP had submitted the alternate angle as a stand alone chop I'd be okay with pulling it as well.

agree..... Wink and if he got big votes but his sources were posted at least it's on the table for ppl to make their own decision on whether to give the vote or not.

ScionShade

Post Wed May 16, 2007 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

WARNING I INTEND TO HIJACK THIS THREAD
As far as the issue of this thread..all points of view are somewhat reasonable. A standard has been set for this situation, let's stick to it and move on.
Moving on (this is the hijack part).....................
If anyone is upset or unhappy with the circumstances of this case, then I would like to rant and see some stinking action taken on a similar situation that is recurring repeatedly lately and that chufs my budgie.
People are using AS outside source...MANIPULATIONS..obvious manipulations, and taking FULL CREDIT for other people's work found on the internet.
IMHO this is a far more egregious infringement of what is fair and honest and needs to be acted upon.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Wed May 16, 2007 2:45 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm ready for Round 2

TheShaman

Post Wed May 16, 2007 2:52 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with Scion!

but heres the example for anna maria

our starting source:
http://photoshopcontest.com/images/queue/fullsize/175227f6a2e0ee162c6c1c4eeefc6731752ea812633056.jpg

(bogus google entry)
Wow what a lot of work I did (I think was the authors notes)
http://anna-maria-florida.com/album/anna_maria_jail.jpg

this IS wrong.

what DP did was nothing even close to that. all he did was have a great outside source, that was chopped into what was provided as source here at PSC.
I don't see a problem there.

back to what Scion said. I agree 100% I think this happened to anfa at that W1K place.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 3:22 pm   Reply with quote         

I blame ALEX for all this !!

Alex

Post Wed May 16, 2007 3:44 pm   Reply with quote         

deshone wrote:
I blame ALEX for all this !!

ME TOO!!! Damn moron...

Post Wed May 16, 2007 3:51 pm   Reply with quote         

and this Alex turned me into a newt!

a newt!?

I got better

BURN HIM!

Post Wed May 16, 2007 3:56 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
BURN HIM!

Yeah... let's burn digitalpharaoh kids too!
They've started all this!

Post Wed May 16, 2007 4:02 pm   Reply with quote         

i have no idea what this is about, but I'm in for a barbecue!

Post Wed May 16, 2007 4:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Here is my two cents.

aliased

Post Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Come on people, don't let this go off topic. Scion has a good point. Many voters are unable to see if something was chopped or just another source. So people often get votes for things they didn't do, either intentionally or not. It happens all the time and it's a problem IMO.

ReyRey

Post Wed May 16, 2007 4:50 pm   Reply with quote         

aliased wrote:
Come on people, don't let this go off topic. Scion has a good point. Many voters are unable to see if something was chopped or just another source. So people often get votes for things they didn't do, either intentionally or not. It happens all the time and it's a problem IMO.

Sorry. Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - I'd like a REAL answer - Reply to topic