Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Art Thievery - Hall of Shame II a.k.a Not What It Seems II - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Micose

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Ive been "robbed" by choppers which i wont say the names...it was bout the overall look and idea, i have never said anything...maybe im too cool...but we are in a school and i myself unconsciously stole maybe some ideas.... we are not talking about ideas..;we should keep talking about only a pasted artwork...
Wiz

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:36 pm   Reply with quote         

WhimSea wrote:
I'm not a f*cking idiot, Wiz

I care about being honest to my fellow artists!

you may think it's funny to use 99% someone else's work and slap your "by Wiz" on it and not correct anyone that says they really like how you did this or that, and you know for a fact that you didn't do that, it's just not the right thing to do.

We have some really, really great artists here that take the time to do their own work, using the source in great detail, link to their externals so you can see how they did their work... I don't think it's fair or just for someone to rip off an image, or rip it off and make such small changes to it claim it as their own, and not be upfront about it to people who are giving votes out for the chops.

if you were just doing this for making a new desktop for yourself and not posting it on a site like this, not vying for votes, not vying for prizes, then I wouldn't give a rats ass... but the fact that it's being done here and you and others are trying to fool us, all I can say is shame on you!

didn't someone teach you that fibbing and not being upfront about the truth isn't far from lying and cheating?

I guess you have decide whether you want to be in the artist line or the con-artist line.

"WhimSea you've just proved my claim, you must be Fwukin iIdjut to let me get under your self righteous skin!" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 pm   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
Did you ask mightybeet (I think that is who it is) grefix, and Marco to use there faces in those chops you did??

Apparently not, coz I was unaware of that chop untill now Laughing

Whimsea I hereby grant you a belated permission to use my face in that chop Wink

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Chops and robbers!
*runs off to get water-pistol*

WhimSea

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:04 pm   Reply with quote         

cherylm329 wrote:
All I have to say is that if a person chooses to use ideas and/or other peoples images to create a chop it is there own business and done at their own risk. It is up to the voter if she or he chooses to vote for it . As far as I see it too, you used some externals in your chops, were they yours?? Did you ask mightybeet (I think that is who it is) grefix, and Marco to use there faces in those chops you did?? And I also see a magazine that you used to put Marco's head on?? I am not trying to start an argument or trouble, just making a point. Very Happy

let me see if I can answer all your questions...

it's your own risk on your own website, but this is a commercial site.

it is up to you whether you vote for something or not, but some base their vote on how the work was done, by whom and the use of source pic.... and some just base the vote on the whole pic not caring how or where it came from or if the source is present or not.

yes, i use externals in my chops. A lot are my own, some from membership sites, some from sites that are feel free to use, and some images from various places I found thru google - BUT when I use a source I find thru google, I never just use it as is. I never use blatantly obvious copyrighted/trademarked items - like Disney, Simpson, Warner Bros. characters, no trademark logo - make my own. I always find generic photos and alter them or only use bits of various photos to create what I want and I create a lot of my items in illustrator and photoshop.

I did not use a magazine for the volleyballistic entry. flattering that you thought it was one. I'd be glad to show my work and tell you about my 29 layer file. first link is all text detailing the idea/work process and telling you what each layer was.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z200/Whimsea/MARCO/volleyballistic-instruction.jpg

WhimSea

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Wiz wrote:
"WhimSea you've just proved my claim, you must be Fwukin iIdjut to let me get under your self righteous skin!" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

oh, so that was you being funny? sorry I didn't get that.

We libras are a bit touchy when someone calls us a 'fwukin ildjut'. We like everyone to be polite and nice to everyone, be humourous, be fair and just, be honest with each other... everything nice and peaceful. Everyone happy.... happy, happy, happy. Very Happy

cherylm329

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:12 pm   Reply with quote         

armogeden wrote:
OK so I've been here for a while, I know the rules on copyrighting and I in no way condone it. But I'm a little hazy on the finer points. Say I searched "at the park" into google.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=at+the+park&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial

Obviously taking this image would be plaguerism because the artist has worked on the image and your exploiting his/her skill.

http://www.pendle.gov.uk/images/Walverden%20Park%20Bulb%20Planting.JPG

But take this picture for example. Clearly some kind of everyday photo, there is no artist or professional photographer involved. Is this still copyrighted? Are the rules slightly more lax for this type of thing or are they the same as usual?

Not sure about other countries, but In the USA, it is known that every image is copyrighted whether it has a copyright notice or not. Unless of course you get it from a royalty free site.

Marx-Man

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:36 pm   Reply with quote         

TLDR about copyright... i think psc's found a replacment for me...

Lol

Hmm copyright...

You have to register an object as copyrighted...

The origional owner holds the intellectual copyright... but if they fail to register it as copyright then that's tough s**t

You can register it or if sombody else registers it contest it, on the grounds that you are infact the real creator... With proof of course...

Things you cannot use if you are going to use images...

Logo's or identifyable trademarks...
Images with a Copyright logo
Brands or sponsors that arn't your own...
Watermarked images...

Images you can use...

Anything else but be prepared to hear about how unethical you are if you fail to apply for permssion...

dewdew

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:33 am   Reply with quote         

finally a magazine cover making tutorial, thank god i've looked everywhere for one of these. i knew coming to this site would pay off. ty whimsea. marco trust me you never looked better. not even simpsonized. grefix you big giver of rights, you make me wanna press your little penquin tummy like the pillsbury doughboy. Smile Smile this place sure does have a lot of sun shine in it. why just now as i was typing a little blue bird fluttered down and.....i smashed his blue feather butt right into the key board......but precious likes the blue bird.....shut up you....dewdew haaaaaatessss the blue bird. ughhhh i have a question....does sun shine stick to the bottom of your shoe? oh well

And I also see a magazine that you used to put Marco's head on??

I did not use a magazine for the volleyballistic entry. flattering that you thought it was one. I'd be glad to show my work and tell you about my 29 layer file.

Shocked would have given my right nut to see the face that produced Laughing

this is better than cable,and down right educational. dont know how many votes it (vollymark)got but would love to know how many did'nt vote because they thought it was only a simple head chop. just goes to show "things are'nt always what they seem." round III

WhimSea

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:42 am   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
TLDR about copyright... i think psc's found a replacment for me...

Lol

Hmm copyright...

You have to register an object as copyrighted...

The origional owner holds the intellectual copyright... but if they fail to register it as copyright then that's tough s**t

You can register it or if sombody else registers it contest it, on the grounds that you are infact the real creator... With proof of course...

Things you cannot use if you are going to use images...
Logo's or identifyable trademarks...
Images with a Copyright logo
Brands or sponsors that arn't your own...
Watermarked images...

Images you can use...
Anything else but be prepared to hear about how unethical you are if you fail to apply for permssion...

not all of that is correct. You do not have to register for a copyright, you can, but you don't have to. A lot of people think you do, but you don't. As soon as an author has created a tangible medium of expression it has copyright. And no, work does not have to have the © symbol on it. It has the copyright as soon as it was created.

"A copyright is provided to the authors of "original works of authorship," regardless of whether the work has been published and regardless of whether the work has been registered. Unlike patents, copyrights come into being at the moment an original work is fixed in a tangible medium of expression. While there are significant advantages to a federal registration of a copyright, no registration is required in order for a copyright to exist. Likewise, no registration is required for an author to begin using the familiar copyright symbol --- ©"

WhimSea

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:02 am   Reply with quote         

there is basically no international unity in world art protection laws.
Also, art thievery is the number #1 criminal activity in the world with drug smuggling, from religious art theft to modern artwork use without rights to do it.

Our pictures at psc are absolutely not copyrighted, which means if someone gets one of our jpegs and uses it commercially there's nothing we can do.

But come on, how can someone possibly use a jpeg commercially, other than from a small banner on the internet.I dont see any pic that has sufficient definition and quality to be used for press.

It is every artist's responsability to protect his work, as well as the photos he shoots and uses in his entries.

Despite the fact that there's no unity...meaning that if I make a pic from Paris, France, and someone uses it in the USA, I have no way of claiming my rights at all.

annajon

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:45 am   Reply with quote         

I have been working on chops and have entered my creations - as they become available. Nothing wrong with that. But, to my big surprise, some of my entries are suddenly in a prize contest.
I am not saying that I didn't want to enter a prize contest, I am not saying that I would have done a different thing had I known there was a prize contest, but very often my life is a chaos, my bedroom where I work from is a mess and my chop files are all over the place. I get an idea as soon as I see an image and then I either start working on it right away or I put it aside in a folder for future use.

And when I browse the Internet, and find an image with a colour that would be perfect for my chop, that I would never be able to reproduce (you only have to look at my socks to know what I mean) but that is clearly recognizable, and I put that into the folder with the image from this site, for future use, then I don't always remember where I put it to begin with. I sometimes end up with several start-up files, because my ideas keep working in my head. Chaos all over again.

And then, after all that, and I finally have my work done; I put it up for comments. Because I want to learn from all the others who put up their work. And I want to see how they do it. It took me years of hardship to finally start doing something creative again - I used to paint and sculpt until my marriage ended and I couldn't ever work again. So now, with this new medium at my fingertips, I am over the moon.
It works for me and perhaps I will get very good at it some day, so that I can make digital art all from scratch, and even put them up online for sale to support myself for a change. I have been unemployed for over 2.5 years now, so that would be time.

But I need the experience to become better at this. And all the advice I can get. So I put my entries up on the calendar, being Advantaged let's you do that. And what do I see - I have entered into three competitions already - that are prize competitions. And then I follow DewDew's trail and end up in this thread/forum on the subject of law and recognition.

I use outside photo's - parts of photo's or colours from photo's to create my stuff, and I know for a fact I have emailed many people to get permission, and in one case (only one) have I received an answer - positive and very happy!! - about the use of a picture. And that one was the only time to my best recollection that I used an entire image to create a new one. (The penguins) with a link to that mans website where I found the image.

Now - After this - I have some things to say.

First: When you Google for an image, 90 times out of 100 you will discover that your preferred image has been used multiple times already - so good luck finding the owner of the copyright there. There would be no point to give reference, just say you found it online should be sufficient.

Second: When you do find a unique image, and think making a link or reference to the site you find it on, use discretion as well.
Not everybody has a fair use broadband server as a base for their image. Linking to a website could ultimately cause lots of traffic to that site, costing the owner more money then expected for the traffic.

Third: To avoid all these humps and bumps, there is a way. At least in my mind there is a way. PSC should make it possible for each entry to be accompanied by a notice sheet, not the little comment space underneath the entry, but a good space that shows up when you click on the entry to see the bigger picture. Then, when you look at the entry in full size, you will know right away who can't be bothered to care about other peoples work, or where to go for the originals. It allows for more space to enter the information and does not distract at first glance from the image. All the PSC site has to do is put up a mark or sign under the image, that a definition of the outside source is available with the enlarged entry.

Or would this cause too much tinkering with the programme?

Having said that, I come to my complaint.

Why have I entered into competitions? It is very nice of PSC to allow me to look weeks ahead and work on a subject, but why have I entered in three competitions without knowing this? Did I want to enter my images into competitions? Not bloody likely, I enter to get responses from people who can do this work better then I.

I know it is just a matter of finding a sponsor to go with one of the images, I read all the small print on that subject ages ago, but this entering images week’s in advance thing becomes very tricky baring in mind all the things that have been said in this tread/forum to begin with. Because - all the entries without proper information on sources or proper recitation to the originals used should be either excluded from the prize contest -or just enter for entering sake, and we are not given a choice.

I am just very glad that the prize contest is not on the Monday entry, because I would be slapped with using a very obvious and well known logo, in a PARODY that I made ... And parodies have not been covered yet.

So how deep is the shit I have to crawl through now??

Anna

WhimSea

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:55 am   Reply with quote         

as long as you can prove it's your work

Copyright laws are international with limitations. you have to check your copyright laws in your country

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:28 am   Reply with quote         

Maybe we could just have a list of image sites that are safe for us to use in a link here at the top. So instead of googling up something we actually go to these copyright free sites that allow us to use the images free of controversy and by having the link up nobody has to hunt down the list in an obscure forum it's just there and handy. It might solve some of the issues in source hunting. Very Happy

WhimSea

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:43 am   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
Maybe we could just have a list of image sites that are safe for us to use in a link here at the top. So instead of googling up something we actually go to these copyright free sites that allow us to use the images free of controversy and by having the link up nobody has to hunt down the list in an obscure forum it's just there and handy. It might solve some of the issues in source hunting. Very Happy

that would be an excellent idea!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Art Thievery - Hall of Shame II a.k.a Not What It Seems II - Reply to topic