Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - THERE IS SO MUCH FAVORITISM IN THIS JOINT!!! - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

My suggestion:

Why do we have to have just one contest per day, anyway?! Why not have one Anon, one Non-Anon, one Theme, etc. Then you can enter whichever one you want to enter for the day.

It may make the number of entries go down per contest, but overall I think the participation would go up....

Discuss.
Cool

Maliciously Delicious

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Although anoy contests would be great, I bet there will still be people who go as far as PM other members to tell them which entry was yours, or have people guessing is that one yours. Seems like a dead-end either way Confused

- Alexander Graham Bell

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:21 pm   Reply with quote         

well again how about anon voting. You won't see who voted for you till after the contest. That won't discourage the pmming but it would make it lots more interesting.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

janetdog wrote:
God forbid the three year olds take over, This f-ing place would be wall to wall elmo.

splodge

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:37 pm   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
well again how about anon voting. You won't see who voted for you till after the contest. That won't discourage the pmming but it would make it lots more interesting.

been there tried that and went back to the way it is, i cant remember all the pro's and con's but a huge majority wanted open contests again, amazingly newbies were still being overlooked, (shows how much cheating was going on)

Hallcross Toots
monkeytwig

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 pm   Reply with quote         

How 'bout we just cut the voting all together Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:24 pm   Reply with quote         

well who knows it would not work a second time around. Why did it not work?
And it's hard to know exactly what has gone down before and what did or did not work.
I am fairly happy with the site I just get nauseaous when these discussions come up and it's because I like harmony and want to please people so maybe you guys just aren't ever happy and I think I am doing what Oscar's avi is doing . So why try then.

plus here's the deal with the new users.... I am so suspicious of alias that I don't always vote for the new users because of that very reason.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:43 pm   Reply with quote         

manic_d wrote:
...plus here's the deal with the new users.... I am so suspicious of alias that I don't always vote for the new users because of that very reason.
'Not voting for new users because I think they may be aliases' doesn't really help anything. One will create an alias and make 10 'whatever' entries, not for the votes, but to get the power to cast extra votes.

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:52 pm   Reply with quote         

One idea to stop aliases would be to log the IP that an image is uploaded from, and not allow anyone with that IP to vote on that image. Although, when you have two different users using the same computer, it might pose a problem.

As far as anonymous contests, I don't think anon all the time is the way to go.

What about an option in your profile that lets YOU view contests in anonymous mode? Maybe in your profile there could be like: "Anonymous voter: YES!" lol

We could even have avatars for "Voters Anonymous" group. lol

Laughing Laughing

kinetic_be

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Hah, it's been like what, 5 days ago when I strived for the same things? (sort of)
Well, I'll tell you how I felt when things were blurry and I wanted to get out of here.

Went to PSTalent, tried to find my way trough their maze, managed to get a pic to download, Chopped it, put it back online, skipping the sources, step-by-step guide and the other 50 steps, to then see my work online together with 10 others on 1 page (for which I had to scroll non-stop) to then come to realise that I have no personal binding with PSTalent whatsoever... And the pic I made, it just didn't have meaning anymore.
Then, few hours later, got about 3 mails from moderators complaining about step-by-step guides, externals, etc...
BYEEEEE I thought.

My point is, it's great here, and that's something you come to realise when you have tried it elsewhere. It just ain't the same and for that reason, I'm going to leave things as they are and not try to strive for anonymous contests.
If contests get anonymous, great, excellent, good change, but if not, I'll just have as much fun here because (and ppl were right about this when they told me) PSC is just the best place on the net.

Also, the works I make here on PSC are mostly for myself and exposing them to the others and getting reactions is really nice, but if it doesn't get enough votes as it should be, because of favorism or any other reason, then that just means that the picture was missing elements or wasn't technically good enough or the idea was flaw.
Result: it'll make you work harder next time. Or that's how it works for me. I appreciate the votes, it's a good lesson along with the comments, but I learn more from the votes I didn't get.

Anyway, I just realised I'm typing too much again, lol Laughing

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

while we're now on this topic....will someone please band the idiot/idiots who are keeping this shite up?
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/136264/votes.html

did someone mention 12-year-olds? Laughing

TutorMe
Site Moderator

Location: Sitting in this room playing Russian roulette, finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:55 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
while we're now on this topic....will someone please band the idiot/idiots who are keeping this shite up?
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/136264/votes.html

did someone mention 12-year-olds? Laughing

Uh oh... You brought up an active contest!!!!

Laughing Laughing

Seriously though, that user should be banned. I thought we were done being mad a Julie anyway. lol Laughing

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I have been here for 3 years in a week or so, and I wish I had a quid for everytime this or similar topic has poped up, I would have at least £60 woo hoo Laughing

Seriously though, I think anon voting will be fine in practice for all established and quality choppers, but this will screw over newbies and choppers learning the craft. Less feedback will be given and help, and people may leave the site soon after joining in my opinion.

This site above all else is about welcoming all and helping to teach our craft we love so much.

Like Sean says this site is not perfect, and the structure is not either, but compared to many others and similar sites around the web, there is no substitute for me, and quite a few others too.

Lately there has been too much pointless bitching and weird arguements from nothing. And it is getting worse.

Where has the PSC love gone people Confused

Oh and burn the aliases ( but in a loving way Wink ), they are the rash on PSC's skin.

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:57 pm   Reply with quote         

ummmmm....some ppl helped to get Julie banded already. Her works appear because they were in the queue before she was "deleted."

kinetic_be

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:
ummmmm....some ppl helped to get Julie banded already. Her works appear because they were in the queue before she was "deleted."

Is she banned?
Wow.. when did this happen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - THERE IS SO MUCH FAVORITISM IN THIS JOINT!!! - Reply to topic