Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Simulate a drawing on a napkin? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 am   Reply with quote         

I haven't searched for a tutorial yet as you lot are much more reliable sources. Wink

I need a good tut on creating an image that looks like a drawing of a house floor plan on a scrap paper (i.e. cocktail napkin, notebook paper, etc).

I'll hunt for a tut when I get to work (might as well get paid for it) but I thought of asking around here and wanted to post before I forgot. Laughing

Thanks for any help! Cool

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:02 am   Reply with quote         

I should clarify that I KNOW I can draw one on a napkin and scan it. But that wouldn't teach me anything now would it. Cool Laughing

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 am   Reply with quote         

Do you mean something like this?

(Rough example but you get the idea...)

annajon

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:05 am   Reply with quote         

Have you thought of throwing it in the group of the experts, there is a forum on asking experts - forgot where it is... sorry.

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:12 am   Reply with quote         

The navigation tree at the top says: "Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Simulate a drawing on a napkin?"
I think he already put it there annajon. Lol. Laughing

ScionShade

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:32 am   Reply with quote         

aside from the basic draw and setting the line layer to whatever..color or colorburn. I will still open the line layer's properties and use bevel and emboss gently to simulate variant line pressure, and of course a slight outer glow or drop shadow dependin' what works best and set that color to white...which then afterward I will merge that layer down to a blank layer and then in properties again seperate the arrow in blend and lighten the white till it looks natural (creating swail in napkin here). I then would take any random image there is on a layer on top of that, ctrl-alt point between layers, then set that layer to lamination probly, or whichever looks best and fade opacity,
and then merge down again.

ReyRey

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:42 am   Reply with quote         

Did you want to create the napkin too? I created some of this with the writing on it. I can tell you how to create a napkin from scratch if you like. I can write you a quick tut on it, but not till later. Confused I'm really busy at work.
http://photoshopcontest.com/images/large/l2seydzotr2x1q742mixgcdufx1k8ky0jsno.jpg
Maybe the layered file would help more?.
http://www.box.net/shared/z99xd5i5c7

ScionShade

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:45 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:46 am   Reply with quote         

I WILL NOT BE SHOWN UP BY THAT NO GOOD UPSTART REYHEY!

ReyRey

Post Thu May 22, 2008 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

Scion Shade wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Laughing The ink should soak into the napkin and be fuzzy and skip spaces. I created a tool preset brush for you that does this. Here is the link. Razz
http://www.box.net/shared/pkthlp544k
Just load it into your tool presets and use it. You can also add a slight outside bevel and emboss to the ink layer to make it look like it pressed into the paper. Wink
Adjust the size of the brush until you like it and blur the ink slightly until it looks natural. Also use the burn tool to darken up small areas like the pen paused a while and the ink soaked in more in that area.Wink

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
aside from the basic draw and setting the line layer to whatever..color or colorburn. I will still open the line layer's properties and use bevel and emboss gently to simulate variant line pressure, and of course a slight outer glow or drop shadow dependin' what works best and set that color to white...which then afterward I will merge that layer down to a blank layer and then in properties again seperate the arrow in blend and lighten the white till it looks natural (creating swail in napkin here). I then would take any random image there is on a layer on top of that, ctrl-alt point between layers, then set that layer to lamination probly, or whichever looks best and fade opacity,
and then merge down again.
ReyRey wrote:
Did you want to create the napkin too? I created some of this with the writing on it. I can tell you how to create a napkin from scratch if you like. I can write you a quick tut on it, but not till later. Confused I'm really busy at work.
http://photoshopcontest.com/images/large/l2seydzotr2x1q742mixgcdufx1k8ky0jsno.jpg
Maybe the layered file would help more?.
http://www.box.net/shared/z99xd5i5c7

Sorry for the delay guys. Had to scout out a path to run fiber optical cable from one building to another. Been out of the office all freaking morning.

Maybe it would help if I described the graphic I'm making? Where I work we create custom log homes from start to finish. We have a full time engineering and final selections staff. The final selections staff help design the kitchens, bath, windows, doors, etc. So you can literally come in with a drawing on a napkin and we can turn that into a house.

I'm going to make a graphic that will reflect that process. I'm going to take one of our floor plans and trace it out so that it looks like it was done with a pen. I want to put that onto the napkin texture. From there I'll fade it into the actual CAD graphic of the floor plan and from there fade into the image of the finished home. Cool

I'll try the steps that Joe mentioned and also look at Rey's PSD. If anyone can think of other techniques let me know. Very Happy

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu May 22, 2008 2:58 pm   Reply with quote         

You can import the CAD drawing into Google SketchUp to create the look you're looking for

Before:

After:

Martrex

Post Thu May 22, 2008 4:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Can probably use these same techniques on TP! Laughing Laughing Laughing

ScionShade

Post Thu May 22, 2008 4:50 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Scion Shade wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Laughing The ink should soak into the napkin and be fuzzy and skip spaces. I created a tool preset brush for you that does this. Here is the link. Razz
Just load it into your tool presets and use it. You can also add a slight outside bevel and emboss to the ink layer to make it look like it pressed into the paper. Wink
Adjust the size of the brush until you like it and blur the ink slightly until it looks natural. Also use the burn tool to darken up small areas like the pen paused a while and the ink soaked in more in that area.Wink

I suggest we h2h a napkin writing image after the big h2h and settle this once and for all.
In fact I invite everybody , h2h2h2h2h2h2h,
There can be only one!

ReyRey

Post Thu May 22, 2008 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
ReyRey wrote:
Scion Shade wrote:
Quote:

I suggest we h2h a napkin writing image after the big h2h and settle this once and for all.
In fact I invite everybody , h2h2h2h2h2h2h,
There can be only one!
rambo

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Simulate a drawing on a napkin? - Reply to topic