Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Image based search - Reply to topic

JW

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:31 am   Reply with quote         

This was in the e newsletter that I just got from Pop Photo:
http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/5364/tineyecom-image-based-search-for-image-searches-lets-look-at-some-scenarios-page1.html this article explains about a new image based search engine. I went onto the web site Tineye.com but I couldn't log on, I could only request an invitation.

It looks interesting and I thought a few of you here might be interested.

JW

JW

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

I didn't go to the 2nd page of the popphoto article before but there is a link there that let me register onto 'tineye'.

Tawiskaro

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks, JW. Put myself on the waiting list.

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:11 am   Reply with quote         

Nifty. From the article:

Quote:
Tineye is a different sort of search engine. Instead of using captions, filenames, and surrounding text to search for images using words as the criteria, Tineye employs actual images as its search input criteria. Either upload a file to Tineye or point Tineye to the URL of the image online, and it instantly creates a digital "fingerpint" via a number of proprietary algorithms -- and searches this on-the-fly fingerprint against its database of crawled and indexed image fingerprints. Their database of images is currently around 487,000,000 -- still just a fraction of the tens of billions of online images and the four billion-plus images Boujnane estimates Google has indexed via syntax to date. Boujnane expects to pass the billion-image mark "very soon."

Boujnane stresses that first and foremost, Tineye is a search engine. The purpose of Tineye is to facilitate image-based search -- plain and simple. In other words, Tineye is not policing the web for copyright infringements: it is simply crawling the web for identical and very similar images. Tineye will point out the URL of identical and similar photographs, but the onus of copyright protection lies with the asset's owner. To put it another way, Tineye is not Idée PixID system -- which is a high-end intellectual property protection solution and service based on similar identification algorithms. If you discover unauthorized usages of images through a Tineye search, and are so inclined to pursue a course of legal action, it is up to you -- Idée does not get involved.

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Signed up.
Logged in.
Tried it.
Didn't work for any of the images I tried it with.

Summary: Right now, it sucks.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:18 pm   Reply with quote         

I used to play around with retrievr

http://labs.systemone.at/retrievr/

retrievr is an experimental service which lets you search and explore in a selection of Flickr images by drawing a rough sketch. You can search by uploading images as well.

Tawiskaro

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:10 pm   Reply with quote         

digitalpharaoh wrote:
Signed up.
Logged in.
Tried it.
Didn't work for any of the images I tried it with.

Summary: Right now, it sucks.

Not much of a waiting list, I guess. I tried it, too, with mixed results. I first searched on my feeble attempt at political humor:

and got thirteen hits. It took only a few seconds. This is a representative find:

I also searched Anfa's S.S. Fat Guy and got a handful of hits.

I searched on six or seven other images with no hits.

I was impressed that it found hits on my first search. When I have time later, I'll warp and blur the image to varying degrees to see how it does then.

Also, the links to the images aren't necessarily fresh. I couldn't find several once at the target URL's.

JW

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Hey Tawiskaro, thanks for 'testing' the site and giving feedback; seems like it worked better for you than digitalpharaoh. What Tofu posted says that the site is still growing its image base and has a ways to go - if they get there it could be a useful site.

Tawiskaro

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:57 pm   Reply with quote         

JW wrote:
Hey Tawiskaro, thanks for 'testing' the site and giving feedback; seems like it worked better for you than digitalpharaoh. What Tofu posted says that the site is still growing its image base and has a ways to go - if they get there it could be a useful site.

Could be useful, but probably not for what I would want to use it for. I went back a moment ago and searched on this warped variation of my original image:

No hits.

I also tried the original image with the face modified with Gaussian blurs at a radius of 2 and 4 pixels. No hits.

I was hoping for a product that searches by more general shapes rather than pixel patterns, as appears to be the case. This appears to be very good for research uses, though.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Image based search - Reply to topic