Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Voting / Commenting - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Were the comments helpfull?

Yes

79%

79%

[ 23 ]

no

10%

10%

[ 3 ]

Get out you hypacrit!

10%

10%

[ 3 ]

Total Votes: 29

shanomoo

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:03 am   Reply with quote         

constructive criticism is good. if you see something i can improve on please do tell me!

ReinMan

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:58 am   Reply with quote         

shanomoo wrote:
constructive criticism is good. if you see something i can improve on please do tell me!

The eyes on your cow are a bit small.

And the daisy should be yellow, not pink.

Hope this helps. Very Happy

Tesore

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
shanomoo wrote:

The eyes on your cow are a bit small.

And the daisy should be yellow, not pink.

Hope this helps. Very Happy

flower Daisys are blue...

Your right about the eyes... cows have big, sweet eyes...

Laughing

arcaico

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:43 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok... let's give this thread a new perspective... how NOT to make a comment...

I'll use my good friend Mr Marco "I'm So Popular It Hurts" Ballistic (from now on mentioned as Mr M only for reading purposes) and TeaMan, who created this thread. Please, understand I have no intent to depict TeaMan's entries... I just picked him cause he started the thread. Could be anyone. In the other hand, Mr M's comments is just another thing on this poor brit soul that pisses me off.

Introduction:
Mr M has been an example to this community, as a person and MAINLY as a Chopper. For such a great chopper, his comments MUST be valueable in some way. I mean, a comment coming from such a great chopper MUST be taken seriously, don't ya all agree with me? Well... I wasn't the one who spotted him as the BEST chopper in PSC... you guys did it, and honestly, I have NO IDEA why... Anyway, let's take a look at some Mr M's comments on some of TeaMan's entries... please, again, this is no personal attack on TeaMan, just an explanation on how comments should NOT be made.

Example #1:

Mr M: should be competing for the win, amazed it is not

Wow!! Mr M, the greatest chopper of all times think this should be competing for the win. This HAS TO BE PERFECT!!! Am I missing something????? Am I???

Well... no I'm not. This should NOT be competing for the win... it's a good chop indeed, but far from deserving the win. Why? I'll tell you why. If you REALLY want to teach or learn something, you have to learn first to recognize yer flaws. In this case... the arm looks flat. It looks flat cause there are no shadows nor highlights in the arm (and bracelet, which has metal parts that should have bright highlits, like in the sword... light doesn't affect just certain parts of yer chop...) to give depth to it. It is plain. Solution? Look at the general lightening in the entry, and tweak it with dodge and burn until it looks like the arm is actually an arm of a soldier laid in the ground. What else is Mr M missing to think it should be competing for the win? Let's see... the blood... but wait... Mr M is the MASTER of blood??? How come he didn't notice the blood in the grass looks like thrown mud???? I dunno. Solution? Making blood in a grass field is not so easy as it looks... the blood should be on the grass, not on the field, in the shape of several mounts of mud. It should also not be blurred at all. Ok, the color might be correct for dry blood, yet the consistence looks like mud. I could go on and comment on how the shield has no highlights, how the shadow is not casted right, and so on... but I think this is enough to say it should NOT be competing for the win... YET, Mr M is AMAZED this is not competing for the win... HOW SO???? He's a Grandmaster!!!! HE CAN'T BE WRONG!!!! The answer for these questions, I'll never know...

Bottomline... if the chop has a good effort, a good idea, but it's filled with flaws, don't say it should be a winner... say "nice effort", "good idea", make some remarks on what could be done to make it better, but don't call us retards saying it should win the contest... sucking people's balls won't help them to improve...

But let's go on... i have a few more examples on how NOT to do a comment...

Example #2:

Mr M: superb creativity T, this is very good

Ooooook... I just miss the part where transforming a leaf into a snake is SUPERB CREATIVE!!! Heck... even I already transformed a sidewalk into a snake... but let's focus on the comment. Superb... wow!!! That's a nice word isn't it?? But seriously... is it superb creative??? No... it's not... and it's also not very good... seriously... if the entry was called slug in the brush, maybe could be more creative... again the same mistakes... no shadows or highlights that give depth to the sneak... the glows in the eyes are disturbing. Specially cause it practically burns the brush in the background, yet there's no sign of the red light that should be coming out from the eyes in the snake body. The tongue looks like someone put a stick in the snake mouth. Solution? Sure... first, dodge and burn are your friends. Possibly two of the most importants tools at PS (Reysquared did a tornado out of these two tools, for instance). And they're great to give volume to stuff... try to look at the snake and picture where the light comes from... apparently, it's hitting all the scene from the front, yet, the snake head is lifted... light doesn't go through snake heads... snake heads are not translucid. Keep that in mind. Second, glows are usually light sources... and if it's glowing THAT much, it should really affect the environment. Again... this is NO personal attack on TeaMan. I really didn't want to do this, but I felt in the need of showing people that sometimes, people just say you did a FABULOUS work, even knowing it's badly done. But hey... don't ya like having yer balls rubbed??? Huh, huh?

Bottomline: if an entry is not creative nor nicely done, don't say it's SUPERB CREATIVE or VERY GOOD... just say it's a good entry and point the flaws... unless you want people to like you instead of learning something...

Let's go to a 3rd and last example....

Example #3:

Mr M: liking this idea, good shadow all sits right, nice work T

GOOD LORD!!! ARE YOU RETARD OR ARE YOU BLIND???? Good shadow???? All sits right????? This is another attempt to make the choppers balls feel good. Unless Mr M is a complete retard, he does know the shadows are all wrong, and that the chest looks flat, not close of sitting right... Yet... he seems to love to make people love him... I mean, who wouldn't love a guy that simply "understands" the greatness of your chop... even when even you know it IS NOT good? the chest does not look integrated to the ground... the ground is viewed from the top... the chest is viewed from the front... the shadow hints it's supposed to be viewed from the front. It just doesn't fit!! Solution? Get a background in the same viewport as your chop. The only way it would sit right, would be if it was buried with the front of the chest up, and still, the shadows wouldn't match. So it's kinda silly to make the chopper believe they did everything right, cause he did not... far from that. I still wonder WHY Mr M, who is a powerful chopper, very skilled, who won WOW so many contests, thinks the shadows are great and all sits together. But if I didn't have a clue about what was wrong, I would believe there was nothing wrong... cause the eyes of AN EXPERT said it was PERFECTLY shadowed!!!

Bottomline: WE ARE NOT RETARDS!!! Keep that in mind.

Conclusion: Constructive criticism is based on pointing the flaws and how you should fix it. People tend not to like when someone points their flaws. In real life, try always to look at the positive aspects of a person and point it out, instead of just pointing out their flaws. But in chopping, it's essentials to know what you're doing wrong to be able not to do it again. You don't have to say something is beautiful or perfect, when you know it's not... that will captivate the chopper, but won't help him improve AT ALL. If you're in here to learn, just ignore comments like these when you see them in your entries. Instead, try to focus on comments that actually will help you improve. Remember kids... you don't use your balls to chop, so there's no need to have them rubbed, kissed or sucked to become a better chopper.

Cheers.
arc

ps TeaMan... sorry if this offended you in any way. It wasn't the real intent. But hey... even science needs lab rats... Wink

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Tea Man

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:05 am   Reply with quote         

np, i suck at shadows and giving things the illusion of "3d" Laughing

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:34 am   Reply with quote         

Tea Man wrote:
np, i suck at shadows and giving things the illusion of "3d" Laughing

at least now you know where to focus to improve your entries mate...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

TheShaman

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:42 am   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:

at least now you know where to focus to improve your entries mate...

See now arc, the actual teaching part of your rant there was awesome and informative! Bravo for taking your valuable time to do that. And any time you wanna do that with me in my current entries, not past entries, I'm totally ok with that now. If you see something glaringly wrong, or you think if I can tweak something to make it better, please let me know. Also any tips on how to do it would be nice, as I am trying to learn. (thats why I like going to Billtv & ReySquared) Just don't kick my balls too hard along with it as I do like them rubbed now and then. Laughing

But saying what you said here to me (minus the Mr M stuff or commenting on what he puts in the comment section) is acceptable, and actually welcomed.

Can we let the past be the past and bygones be bygones? We're both adults right? We're supposed to learn from our mistakes. I'm sorry I was a little bitch to you before, I've since grown as a person.
Would you accept my apology?

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:54 am   Reply with quote         

Maybe some folk are trying to just be encouraging rather than brown nose? Enjoyed the (non inflammatory!) comments...

kinetic_be

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Well Arc, from reading your harsh words last week about Mr. M and everything, I'm starting to understand bit by bit where the bitterness comes from.
Your comments are... how should I say... essential here?
This kind of critisism is EXACTLY what we need on our works to improve.
I mean, I've made quite a lot of chops between januari and april this year and I'm quite sure that every chop had at least 10-15 flaws but very rarely I got pointed out to it.
The only one who throws in an occasional remark on regular basis here is Granulated, which I'm starting to appreciate more and more.
At start, I agree that I felt getting heated when I put a lot of hard work into something and I got comments on it, but if nobody ever give critisism, I'll make the same mistakes for the rest of my time here.

So if there's any way we could convince you and other PS-Masters to start giving critics, please do... It would not only improve the Chopper, but also the Quality of PSC.

Tea Man

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 pm   Reply with quote         

if you do not want the criticism and just want to do chops for fun could you put your name down somewhere so we know who to not say anything to when looking through chops?

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Iīm AMAZED Mr M didnīt show up in here to leave a SUPERB comment yet...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:48 pm   Reply with quote         

me too, anyone seen him

ReyRey

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:09 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
Iīm AMAZED Mr M didnīt show up in here to leave a SUPERB comment yet...

I made some honest comments on someone's entry and I believe I was nice about it. They took it all personal and lost their F%$@%ng mind. There should be a button that blocks comments so the sensitive weenies can avoid reality and continue thinking they are genius and give each other stroke jobs all day. Your terrific...no you are...no you're terrific. They would never survive in the real art world. Everybody and their brother tells you what they think about your art. You better have a stronger backbone than that. Take advise. Learn from it. Teach others. Quit being a bunch of pussies.
Peace. Wink

bigbuck

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:50 pm   Reply with quote         

Now this thread is actually going somewhere!

pakimo

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't (or at least very seldom) give any critique on images. Kinda afraid people will take it the wrong way. Confused Raising Brow
Maybe I should.....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Voting / Commenting - Reply to topic