Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Flat panel LCD TV help - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Ok, so I need some help trying to decide on a new TV since I got some cash and a bunch of BestBuy gift cards for Christmas (and my birthday back in August...).

I thought that surely someone in our fine community here might have had to made this decision before me and might have some general advice.

Just so you know...I've researched HDTV some and checked out CNET's excellent advice on their site, so I've got the basics down.

I'm mostly curious if anyone here has bought one and now might have some advice that they gained either in hindsight or in advance for me.

I know that I want a 32" screen. I also have DirectTV, a DVD (no BluRay yet but soon), a VCR, and a Wii. I watch a lot of movies and the rare sporting event. I'm not too worried about an excellent sound system. I'm mostly considering units below the $1,000 range.

Ok...thanks in advance!

Smile

malnsk

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:46 pm   Reply with quote         

two words

life's good

Maliciously Delicious

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:56 pm   Reply with quote         

I really love my Sharp Aquos. Great picture and quality good priced and the best part of all a VGA/PC IN! With a click of a button im back watching TV or i'm back on the PSC! Very Happy

- Alexander Graham Bell
rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:01 pm   Reply with quote         

malnsk wrote:
two words

life's good

Yep, an LG is at the top of the list right now. Smile

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Maliciously Delicious wrote:
I really love my Sharp Aquos. Great picture and quality good priced and the best part of all a VGA/PC IN! With a click of a button im back watching TV or i'm back on the PSC! Very Happy

Cool. I'll check that out.
I'm looking forward to the VGA-in port.

blue_lurker

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Mate I just 3 weeks ago got a Samsung lcd 32", love the picture and it has hdsettop box built in and they gave us the 20gig hard drive thingy with it, the best bit is I can connect the laptop to it via usb and watch all my movies that I have...cough cough... acquired direct from the formate they were downloaded and the image quality is freakin great.

I got the LCD because we have lots a sunlight here on my island, and I hate locking myself in a dark room just to watch a movie or other stuff, and the LCD offers better image quality in lighter areas...only real problem I have with it is that I dont have the time to spend real quality time with my TV, damn real life and kids and stuff always wanting to do other stuff, but its good quality for money and I will find the bloody link to the one I gots so ya know what Im talking about....honest I will. Smile
[url]
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LA32A450C1DXXY[/url]

nat_g31

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Rash,

I got an olevia 32 inch as a secondary tv for my room. The picture is stellar and it to can connect to a PC although I haven't tried it yet Sad

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West
Magic Matt

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:26 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Mate I just 3 weeks ago got a Samsung lcd 32", love the picture and it has hdsettop box built in and they gave us the 20gig hard drive thingy with it, the best bit is I can connect the laptop to it via usb and watch all my movies that I have...cough cough... acquired direct from the formate they were downloaded and the image quality is freakin great.

I got the LCD because we have lots a sunlight here on my island, and I hate locking myself in a dark room just to watch a movie or other stuff, and the LCD offers better image quality in lighter areas...only real problem I have with it is that I dont have the time to spend real quality time with my TV, damn real life and kids and stuff always wanting to do other stuff, but its good quality for money and I will find the bloody link to the one I gots so ya know what Im talking about....honest I will. Smile
[url]
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LA32A450C1DXXY[/url]

Samsung LCDs rock my world

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:42 pm   Reply with quote         

go vizio for the brand you buy really fair prices and wonderfull picture

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:07 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks all.
Some good stuff here.
LG and Samsung were at the top of my list so far. My in-laws have a Vizio that seems nice too.

I do like the setup you've got going on blue...was that under $1,000?

cafn8d

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:23 am   Reply with quote         

Hi, Rashdog,

I bought Mr. Caf a Samsung LCD flat panel TV for his birthday earlier this month. I don't know about after-Christmas prices, but Amazon.com beat Best Buy by a mile for price... I researched the LCD flat panel TVs, as many reviews as I could find (including Consumer Reports), and Samsung is consistently THE top rated brand. I would recommend springing for the 650 over the 550; the 120 MhZ technology really does make a difference in refresh rate. For further fun, I'd even recommend the 750 over the 650 for the dlna (Digital Living Network Alliance). The price point difference between the 650 and 750 shouldn't be very much. (It wasn't a month ago.) The 850 is ultra-slim and ultra-sweet. The 300 and 400 series are considerably less expensive but should still be quite excellent. I know you have a Best Buy gift card, but do shop around and compare. Then talk to the manager or someone with authority at your Best Buy and see if they can match other prices you find. (Shouldn't hurt to ask!) Smile

Oh... not all series are available in all sizes... I don't know which series are available in the 32" size. I do think you'll probably be very happy with any Samsung model, though!

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:13 am   Reply with quote         

The plasma tv I got for xmas is nice but you can see a lot of the pixels if you look closely, the smalled LCD i got last xmas looks much better on comcast hd channels than the plasma.

Maliciously Delicious

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:25 am   Reply with quote         

Logic wrote:
The plasma tv I got for xmas is nice but you can see a lot of the pixels if you look closely, the smalled LCD i got last xmas looks much better on comcast hd channels than the plasma.

LOL niice avatar Logic! what games you play? Im on Call Of Duty World At War right now

- Alexander Graham Bell

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:35 am   Reply with quote         

LOL niice avatar Logic! what games you play? Im on Call Of Duty World At War right now

mostly halo 3 now... I got tired of playing forza. My gamertag is AdrianSoCal add meh.

Maliciously Delicious

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:00 am   Reply with quote         

Logic wrote:

mostly halo 3 now... I got tired of playing forza. My gamertag is AdrianSoCal add meh.

cool I still play halo 3 on occasion, my gamertag is "gamer not found" Laughing

- Alexander Graham Bell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Flat panel LCD TV help - Reply to topic