Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - what you name your entry - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

YerPalAl

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:15 am   Reply with quote         

Now this is truly interesting to me that at least TWO people admit to their voting being oft times influenced by the title given to a chop.

But it does bring up the question that if this IS a visual contest and the image is the thing, aren't you, yourselves, assigning far too much importance to the name by letting it sway your decision to vote or not to vote? Seems to me if a chop is good a more appropriate response to a title that offends you would be to go ahead and vote for it and leave a negative comment about the title. That way a chop would get the vote it (still) deserves and you can actually get your point across about how the title negatively affects you.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

Ah the fickled thing that is the PSC vote monster, as I said once before, votes are like carbon emission certificates don't mean a thing in the long run.

blue_lurker

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

oops double posty thingy sorry

buglover

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:38 am   Reply with quote         

Don't think that this will get further until you name some examples.

I usually don't look on the names, but I know from my self that it's important, cause naming the pic is like having a review on your own work. Most pics that you can give a good name are good pics. So at least this threat reminds me to look on the names – after I have looked on the pics of course.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:04 am   Reply with quote         

buglover wrote:
...Don't think that this will get further until you name some examples...

Zero to 200 in 3 seconds (0 to 100kg in metric)

I'm pretty sure a good number of votes came from the lame joke in the title.

YerPalAl

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:13 am   Reply with quote         

I've got to say that in my case, a good name, (or even a bad pun), might influence me to vote for a mediocre chop, (not that the above example is mediocre by any stretch), when I might not otherwise. Names might add to the draw of a chop, but they never take away in my book.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
I've got to say that in my case, a good name, (or even a bad pun), might influence me to vote for a mediocre chop, (not that the above example is mediocre by any stretch), when I might not otherwise. Names might add to the draw of a chop, but they never take away in my book.

I have to clarify...

A title has never affected my vote.
In fact, I view entries as if they were untitled.
If an image is meaningless and does nothing for me, then I won't vote.
If the title is what brings everything together, it usually doesn't make a difference to me.

You say that a good name or bad pun would influence you to vote for a mediocre chop, and you're not alone.

But if I had a good chop that came in second to a mediocre chop with a great title, it would drive me crazy.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:

I'm pretty sure a good number of votes came from the lame joke in the title.
It was a great title but this is an image that stands on its own.

YerPalAl

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
YerPalAl wrote:

I have to clarify...

A title has never affected my vote.
In fact, I view entries as if they were untitled.
If an image is meaningless and does nothing for me, then I won't vote.
If the title is what brings everything together, it usually doesn't make a difference to me.

You say that a good name or bad pun would influence you to vote for a mediocre chop, and you're not alone.

But if I had a good chop that came in second to a mediocre chop with a great title, it would drive me crazy.

Wait, now you have confused me.

If I may quote from your first post in this thread:

"I won't vote for an entry where the title serves as the punchline to a joke, or any instance where the title is essential in helping people understand what's going on."

Seems like a contradiction to me.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:53 pm   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:

"I won't vote for an entry where the title serves as the punchline to a joke, or any instance where the title is essential in helping people understand what's going on."

I guess that could have been phrased better.
It's not that I wouldn't vote for it, it's that the title wouldn't be the decider.

Ok I've found an example of what I mean...
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/144592/votes.html

I think it's the best of the lot but would it get as many votes without the title explaining it?

Screw it. I'm still bitter that this masterpiece didn't win just based on the caption alone!
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/70971/display.html

YerPalAl

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:56 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, that makes a lot more sense, thanks.

TheShaman

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:01 pm   Reply with quote         

I love naming my entries, sometimes I even have the name before I start the chop.

I treat all my entries like pets and I try to name each according to the emotions and narrative involved.

JORDAN792

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:13 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
I love naming my entries, sometimes I even have the name before I start the chop.

I treat all my entries like pets and I try to name each according to the emotions and narrative involved.

I have the same methods Shaman, I have named about half of my entries after movies or songs and the name was what I designed the chop around.

I think it is bogus that people wouldn't vote strictly because of a bad title, But I personally dont like untitled entries so I see where they are coming from. I just have fun with my titles for example http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/148175/eggsecutioner.html or http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/145269/dr-aculas.html I think if you cant come up with a title you should look around the room you are in and just name a random object Laughing It would make for an interesting entry

Tesore

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:17 pm   Reply with quote         

badcop wrote:
YerPalAl wrote:

I guess that could have been phrased better.
It's not that I wouldn't vote for it, it's that the title wouldn't be the decider.

Ok I've found an example of what I mean...
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/144592/votes.html

I think it's the best of the lot but would it get as many votes without the title explaining it?

Screw it. I'm still bitter that this masterpiece didn't win just based on the caption alone!
http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/70971/display.html

Thnx Confused
I have no influence on the voters. The title is minimum and the image is clearly enough, i think.

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:33 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:

Thnx Confused
I have no influence on the voters. The title is minimum and the image is clearly enough, i think.

First of all, you're not supposed to be in here

And I did say that it was the best of the bunch.

It's just an example of a meaning that might have
been lost on some people had it not been for the title.

Did I mention you look great today?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Voting - what you name your entry - Reply to topic