Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

ScionShade

Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:31 pm   Reply with quote         

SU

PotHed

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:29 pm   Reply with quote         

WOW! How did I miss out on this conversation!?

Well, here's my input.

Canuck's questions were totally off base because they ask for an answer we may not have, but it does not give any rational justification to insert "God" into the gap of knowledge. Classic "God of the gaps".

Ultimately, there is and never has been any physical evidence or logical proof of any supernatural being or event. That is not up for dispute. Nor should it be. After all, it's called faith for a reason.

ScionShade

Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:51 pm   Reply with quote         

You have utterly taken for granted that your assumptions are facts. There certainly is, always has been, and your denial is
the act of faith.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:46 am   Reply with quote         

Oh, boy, here we go again Very Happy
PotHed wrote:
Canuck's questions were totally off base because they ask for an answer we may not have, but it does not give any rational justification to insert "God" into the gap of knowledge. Classic "God of the gaps".

Calling my answer "God of the gaps," is on par with calling the answer to what is 2 +2, "4 of the gaps." You beg the question by assuming that God is not the right answer.
PotHed wrote:
Ultimately, there is and never has been any physical evidence or logical proof of any supernatural being or event.

Problem is, the very concept of 'logical proof' exposes a precommittment to the essential elements of proof, logic, knowledge, and truth, none of which can be accounted for outside of God.
PotHed wrote:
After all, it's called faith for a reason.

We both begin with faith. I have faith in God for the reliability of my reasoning, whereas you have blind faith in your ability to reason. The difference in our faiths is that mine provides the preconditions for rationality whereas your does not.
I better start posting again, before Splodge locks this thread too Very Happy

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:47 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
You have utterly taken for granted that your assumptions are facts. There certainly is, always has been, and your denial is
the act of faith.
Cheers Bro. Very Happy

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:02 am   Reply with quote         

Where is BroChris ? he was Christian too . I after reading 3:16 changed my life.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:05 am   Reply with quote         

Logic wrote:
Where is BroChris ? he was Christian too . I after reading 3:16 changed my life.
I've seen him pop by here once in a while, but haven't seen him for a bit. He is the fellow that redesigned my site.

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:58 am   Reply with quote         

Wasn't the resurrection supposed to take place after three days, not three years? Raising Brow

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:23 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Logic wrote:
I've seen him pop by here once in a while, but haven't seen him for a bit. He is the fellow that redesigned my site.

I love your site dude, jk I don't but no offense... as a web designer the first thing I tell people is to put less text on their site. Too much text would drive people off, it is extremely boring to sit there and read multiple pages of text. I know that there is no easy way to lay a site like yours in a more simple way but you should think about having a longer single page, also consider the use of " popup windows " .

/troll about web desig Very Happy

PotHed

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:12 am   Reply with quote         

Canuck <º)))>< wrote:
Oh, boy, here we go again Very Happy
PotHed wrote:

Calling my answer "God of the gaps," is on par with calling the answer to what is 2 +2, "4 of the gaps." You beg the question by assuming that God is not the right answer.

That doesn't even make sense. "4 of the Gaps"?

Anyway, no one is assuming that god is not the right answer. I'm simply asserting that until we have an answer, it's okay to say "I don't know" and intellectually dishonest to say otherwise.

Quote:
PotHed wrote:
Ultimately, there is and never has been any physical evidence or logical proof of any supernatural being or event.

Problem is, the very concept of 'logical proof' exposes a precommittment to the essential elements of proof, logic, knowledge, and truth, none of which can be accounted for outside of God.

Says so who? You? You say "logic requires god" based on what reasoning?

Quote:
PotHed wrote:
After all, it's called faith for a reason.

We both begin with faith. I have faith in God for the reliability of my reasoning, whereas you have blind faith in your ability to reason. The difference in our faiths is that mine provides the preconditions for rationality whereas your does not.
I better start posting again, before Splodge locks this thread too Very Happy

You really don't know what faith is. You claim you have it because it sounds good to all your theist buddies who all also belief faith is a good thing. Yet you all undermine faith by seeking a rationale for your beliefs. Hell, that's what the Bible is for. Why else would Jesus perform miracles except to PROVE himself to others. Even he undermined faith in the stories about him. THEN, you try to turn faith around against us as an insult because you know that we think faith is simply illogical.

So which is it? Is faith a virtue or an insult? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Canuck <º)))><

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:39 am   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
Anyway, no one is assuming that god is not the right answer. I'm simply asserting that until we have an answer...

That's EXACTLY what you are saying. Basically: "I'm not assuming that 4 is not the right answer (to 2+2). I'm simply asserting that until we have an answer..."
PotHed wrote:
Says so who? You? You say "logic requires god" based on what reasoning?

Actually I said that logical proof requires God, and I gave the reasoning, but I will be glad to elaborate.
Logic - The laws of logic are universal(apply to all people at all times), abstract (not made of matter), and invariant (they do not change). None of those elements can be made sense of in a worldview of constant change and only matter.
Knowledge – In order to know anything, one would need to know everything, or have revealtion from someone (God) who does, else you end up in an infinite regress of “and how do you know THAT?”
Truth – Same deal, apart from universal knowledge, or revelation from same, you could not know anything to be true.
Sure, you may doubt all of these, but I simply ask you to tell me, how you account for universal, abstract, unchanging laws according to your worldview, and how you can know anything to be true?
PotHed wrote:
You really don't know what faith is.

Sure I do, watch: PotHed, how do you know that your ability to reason is reliable?
PotHed wrote:
Yet you all undermine faith by seeking a rationale for your beliefs.

No, I don’t need any rationale for my beliefs as it is my claim that my beliefs are foundational to make anything rational, I am simply exposing the fallacy of yours.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:20 am   Reply with quote         

Abstract thinking, logic and the knowledge of good and evil does not come from God.(please read the bible again!)

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:42 am   Reply with quote         

I've accepted the fact that your idea of "proof" differs substantially from its actual meaning...

But even using your definition, the site still falls apart.

What you've created is a strawman argument generator.
If I disagree that "absolute moral laws" exist, it takes me to a page that gives me 2 options;
Is child molestation right or wrong?
To disagree with you, I actually have to press a button that puts me in support of child molestation.
Makes sense.

And while we're on absolute unchanging moral laws... you know that law in Deuteronomy 25:11-12 where, if your wife comes to your aid in a fight and seizes your assailant by his genitals, you must "cut off her hand" and "show her no pity"?
That's a fun one.
I have a list of a few hundred absolute moral laws from the bible in case you want to know how to properly stone your child to death for being disrespectful etc.

splodge

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:46 am   Reply with quote         

i'm not alowed, locked myself out

Hallcross Toots

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:28 am   Reply with quote         

Did no one read this thread before reviving it?

Raising Brow Wink How are ya, Canuck? Long time, no see. Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Canuck Fish's website is finally up - This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.