Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - H2H Rules - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

arcaico

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:56 pm   Reply with quote         

--
edit:
I've PMed every player in the tourney about this (except the ones that have previously expressed their opinions in here). I'll post the list of the players in favour or against releasing the source on friday here.

in favor so far (61 out of 104) 58.6%:
annajon
mattbach
Tawiskaro
jerico
anfa
txpinky
candron
seelcraft
Napalm32
Micose
deliandave
gotmeamuse
zoli22
pakimo
sirenka
Tommeken
twaggoner
TofuTheGreat
glennhanna
supak0ma
Cherree
jazgraphic
pearlie
nat_g31
Janfet
nyxxie
rockyjob
CarlC
jerryhami
photolicious
Oscar
ReyRey
Tesore
A.G.L
Dechene
rockfsch
marcoballistic
rose-wood71
Krank
nifft
clonestamp trooper
huub666
cherylm329
Pearcinator
dewdew
abraham
splodge
Dead Man
mason4300
Govan
gsenthil
woodie
dragoche
DaVinci
UntExp
Salvezza
raisszadeh
fritzvondefranz
jonjon
thbeghin
edovan

against so far (11 out of 104) 10.6%:
dannyboyuk09
bneises (!) (not sure I got this one right... if I'm wrong, just let me know)
jccrowder
blackfox
deshone
dbbowling
Netwel
Claf
blue_lurker
Draco
mrchili

abstained (8 out of 104) 7.6%:
YerPalAl
dewking
FootFungas
:-@dolly
cafn8ed
chrispvan
monkeytwig
Prince Laurent

not pronnounced so far (24 out of 104) 23%

--

I decide to create a new topic to discuss the rules of the H2H, so it doesn't mix with the original H2H topic. As everyone knows, I sugested the source would be released on friday, right after the release of the results of the round, so we don't have to wait till monday to start working on our entries. It wouldn't affect the tourney in any way, and would give us 3 extra days to work on our entries. I'll explain it better in a while.

Point is I was informed the mods aprove the change, but won't do it because the tourney is already in progress, and it wouldn't be fair to the other player in the tourney to change the rules in the midway.

So let's take a look at the rules:

http://photoshopcontest.com/tournamentdetails/about.html

Photoshop Contest Head to Head Tournament 2009

We are no longer accepting registrations, enjoy the tournament!

When

The tournament will start as soon as enough site members have registered and we queue up the matches. There is no fee. This is a free event to enter and vote in. It will be single elimination and have multiple rounds. The number of rounds will be determined by the amount of contestants registered. Registration is on a first come / first serve basis. You must have had posted at least 10 regular contest entries in order to sign up. Please do not register if you do not have time to work on one entry every few days over the next few weeks.

Prizes

as you can see, there are no prizes in the rules... of course we know Proc will announce the prizes midway, but I don't think anyone would care changing THIS rule midway, right??? After all, this change would be good for some players.

Rules and Info

* PSCore based seeding.

After the brackets were made, meaning the tourney had started, a player was removed and a player was added. But the brackets remained the same way, even though the replacement had a different PSCore than the former player. For this rule not to be broken, the brackets would need to be remade, not only filled, once with a different PSCore, the bracket would be different.

original player: L@rue - PSCore: 35.60
replacement: gotmeamuse - PSCore: 26.80

* One image per round for all participants.
* Each round will begin on a Monday @ 8AM EDT.
* Each round will be four days long. Two days for entries to be submitted and two days for voting.

This is the point where my change would imply a problem, according to the mod staff.

The way it is, the round ends on Friday. Then you have to wait till Monday, when the round starts, the image is released, and then you have 2 days to submit (Monday and Tuesday) and 2 days to vote (Wednesday and Thursday).

What I requested to the mods was simply to release the source on Friday, instead of waiting till Monday to release the source. It wouldn't change the former format AT ALL. As you can see, the rules say clearly "two days for entries to be submitted" (submitting would still be open on monday), "and two days for voting" (voting would still be open on Wednesday). The only difference would be the day the source would be released (there's no indication about when the source would be released in the rules... it only states the submitting and voting status).

* Image must be up to 250KB and less than 700x700 pixels.
* .gif images are not allowed.
* Do not sign up if you will not have time to compete over the next few weeks.
* Competitors must post an image or will be black listed from future tournaments.

Even though a lot of us don't agree with these size specs, it's in the rules... ya gotta play by the book... and I don't have a problem with that.

* All prizes are final, no refunds or exchanges.

WHAT PRIZES???

* Good luck!

Thanks.

Well, back to topic... I know I'm well known for being a trouble-maker in here, but I'm not trying to create a fuss. I'm just trying to improve the H2H so it can be even better than the past tourneys. I talked to a few mods (I won't say names... this is NOT a personal attack on anyone...) and what they told me was as follows.

It wouldn't be fair to the players that started the tourney and had only two days to chop on round one.

I believe ALL players had two days to chop for round one. How come this wouldn't be fair to all players? I mean... anyone can play the round two, as long as they win their match. I had the same time to chop for round one as anyone else.

The tourney has already started. We can't make changes midway.

Excuse me. I believe there was a replacement in the bracket midway, without remaking the brackets. And if changes midway really can't be made, then we won't have prizes for this tourney, once they're not specified in the rules. I wonder what will be the motivation to chop for two months, if there are no prizes.

You agreed with the rules when you signed up.

I did. And I really don't see any indication about the releasing of the source in the rules.

You played it last year. Don't act like you didn't know it was this way.

Right... and the year before that, the final players had a lifetime advantage as a prize. But Proc changed that last year, when he announced different prizes midway. So it's not justifiable the premise that last year was this way, this year we won't change it midway.

You know that any change we make midway would cause confusion to the players.

Come on... you gotta be joking. Releasing the source right after the end of the round would cause confusion?????

Anyway, I'll be sending this to every player in the tourney, and ask them if they approve this change midway, so this could be implemented in the ongoing tourney, and not only next year.

If you are participating in the tourney, and reading this thread, either PM me with approval or denying, or post it in here.

Thanks.
arc

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

glennhanna

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 pm   Reply with quote         

I second this

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:07 pm   Reply with quote         

"releasing" the source on Friday does not require any coding changes on the H2H pages - it can be posted by a mod in a forum thread

supak0ma

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:10 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
"releasing" the source on Friday does not require any coding changes on the H2H pages - it can be posted by a mod in a forum thread

its not a problem, for the millionth time this is already possible. Now what would be fair is that once the round closes, if ALL the losers agree on this change, it could be done, otherwise its material for the next competition.

dewking

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Im probably in the minority, but I prefer getting the source monday morning... but its mainly because it reminds me of the old way that the site used to run when everyone got the source at 8am, and it was a mad rush to come up with a good idea and post it fast while keeping quality up.

Plus I'm not usually around on weekends to work on it, but thats just me.

But I'm not against changing it. I just know that it won't change the fact that I still won't start the image until Monday.

So basically... my opinion is mute.

Smile

zebob 06/09 @ 11:14 am
im more of an alethic computer geek that doesnt play sports but is still strong.
Tawiskaro

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:45 pm   Reply with quote         

I I'm with you on this one. I work Monday and Tuesday. That leaves little chopping time. My first round entry is evidence of this. I agree that the rules don't prohibit your suggested change. The only fairness issue I can see is that all survivors are notified, otherwise you'll hear the valid complaint: "I didn't know I had two extra days to chop!"

Cherree

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:03 pm   Reply with quote         

I would like to see the weekend included also. As for changing it midway, it really doesnt seem to change much. Everyone had the inital 2 days, so if it is changed, then everyone would have the 4 days.

If not this tournament, maybe the next one.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm leaving today to Vegas until Monday - So I'll only have Monday/Tuesday to work on it Sad

dannyboyuk09

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:34 pm   Reply with quote         

OK, I have to be completely honest. I don't have any problems with the rules etc. This is my first H2H and I thought the time frame was fine. I understand people have different working hours and family ties but one site can't cater for EVERYONE. I think to change the rules is pointless, and I'm not attacking anyone, I was asked to give my opinion so here it is, lol.

Some people don't have time to chop in the the allocated space.
Don't enter, you know the rules when you sign up.

I didn't know I had to get it in by today.
Ask someone who's been around a while like I did... people here are amazing... dont bite (hard)

Come on boys and girls, if you can't follow the rules... do the rules have to change OR do you just not enter.

Should have a poll; Should the rules change or should we pay attention??

I've rambled on enough now.
Much love
Dan

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm for it. Working the hours I do, an extra couple of days would be of great help.

dannyboyuk09

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:39 pm   Reply with quote         

I normally don't get involved in too much banter here as I still consider myself to be a newbie but, it sounds to me like some things being said come down to.

"My personal life is preventing me from being included in the H2H and I am going skiing so change the rules for me"

I never have a bad word to say about anyone but come on peeps, if you have work to do or family commitments KNOWING the chopping times etc... well I personally think you shouldn't have entered...

AGAIN this is just my opinion. No offence intended.

Much love.
Very Happy

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:42 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree.............

Cool

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Sounds good to me! Wink Allthough I don't know if I've more time to chop during this Easter weekend. Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm   Reply with quote         

just to clarify... there's no rule saying when the source would be released. Only rules specifying the submitting and voting periods. And by releasing the source earlier, these rules would not be broken. Submitting would still start on mondays and voting would still start on wednesday. The only difference is you'd know the next source by friday instead of monday.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

FootFungas

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm   Reply with quote         

I agree with Dewking.
This wouldn't really make that much of a difference to me.
I don't think putting the source out early would radically change anything or disadvantage anyone; but, I do like how the Monday source release hearkens back to the glory days and frantic chopping (which I did a lot of for the 1st round)
I don't see an urgent need for a change, but either way is fine by me.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - H2H Rules - Reply to topic