Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Contest Divisions by Rank, Change Needed Somehow - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ranked contests?

Yea

5%

5%

[ 1 ]

Nay

50%

50%

[ 10 ]

This is a stupid idea

25%

25%

[ 5 ]

What was the question again?

20%

20%

[ 4 ]

Total Votes: 20

Dragon

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:03 pm   Reply with quote         

Here's an idea that may help with attrition rates on the site.

As a novice chopper that uses photoshop for fun, it can be discouraging to 'compete' with master choppers who spend hours on a contest entry that is drastically superior to anything I could produce, even if I had the time.

It is also quite discouraging for new people when the same five or six people win the competitions time and time again. And those with less skill get no votes and/or useless comments. It isn't about winning, but at the same time, newer people should be recognized so they don't just up and leave after the first entry.

What should happen is that once people attain a certain PSC score, say 30-40, they must participate against people of their own rank level.

This way the competitions would make more sense, new people would have a chance to compete against individuals of their own skill level with real helpful comments given by those on higher ranks.

Maybe the ranking system wouldn't be all the time, there could be an "all level" day or something of the like.

Just my two cents.

ScionShade

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm   Reply with quote         

There's been a lot of suggestion threads lately. This is just my humble opinion, or observation.
Despite the good intentions of these kinds of discussions, they usually result in quite the opposite. Don't ask me why that happens,it just does.
Anyway, back to my observation. Good ideas get better scrutiny, more attention, and more serious consideration if they are just sent along to a mod w/ a request for them to run it by other mods, and Proc.
Just my humble observation!
Now go get on your helmet.
INCOMING!

splodge

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:09 pm   Reply with quote         

before anyone jumps down your throat, this must be the dozen'th time this has been suggested, not realy workable on such a small site

Hallcross Toots
Dragon

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Maybe some people will get get uppity, but that isn't the point is it?

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Been brought up multiple times in the past Smile

Here's the idea a bit (in my own words) why it is done this way.

First: this is not Worse1000 (which applies that system)

Second: we regard every one as a equal. We don't want people to be put in boxes, saying he's better, she's worser

Third: This is a learning site in first place, being put in boxes will let you strive to get a the top of the box but not elevate your levels/goal enough to compete with better people.

Fourth: Most of the ones scoring high now, started somewhere below in the first place. This just shows that even when your a total novice, you too can someday end up at the top (and sometimes faster then you think)

Post Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
Been brought up multiple times in the past Smile

Here's the idea a bit (in my own words) why it is done this way.

First: this is not Worse1000 (which applies that system)

Second: we regard every one as a equal. We don't want people to be put in boxes, saying he's better, she's worser

Third: This is a learning site in first place, being put in boxes will let you strive to get a the top of the box but not elevate your levels/goal enough to compete with better people.

Fourth: Most of the ones scoring high now, started somewhere below in the first place. This just shows that even when your a total novice, you too can someday end up at the top (and sometimes faster then you think)

I agree with one, three, and four, but two needs help.

Equal as an idealism is a great goal to aim for, but being either an Advantage/Non-Advantage member shoots that all to hell. Other divisors are the competitions themselves and the skewed voting that plagues it.

All the comps by their very nature are social divisors, and our non-blind voting system runs in patterns of favoritisms and other friend for friend cliques.

So I think trying to treat everyone as equal is a great endeavor. But I also think the idea has its limits in practice.

Dragon

Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:32 pm   Reply with quote         

There's also been quite a bit of discussion about the number of entries and active users.
A simple nub contest or two may improve that. Worth1000 may do a ranking
Thing but PSC doesn't have to copy it - psc is a much cleaner site and it could
Be done better.

Cliques or not, there are always a lot more votes than entries even when multiplied by 25

deshone

Post Tue May 19, 2009 4:38 am   Reply with quote         

To be honest ... for me it was a great drive as a novice newbie to see great choppers and their work and trying to beat them ... that's how i grew my skills ... just by playing here and trying to beat the top ...

Just don't feel bad if you are a novice ... it's not about winning here but about having fun with photoshop and the members here ... and by having fun you will develop your skills faster then anywhere else ...

blue_lurker

Post Tue May 19, 2009 4:55 am   Reply with quote         

deshone wrote:
To be honest ... for me it was a great drive as a novice newbie to see great choppers and their work and trying to beat them ... that's how i grew my skills ... just by playing here and trying to beat the top ...

Just don't feel bad if you are a novice ... it's not about winning here but about having fun with photoshop and the members here ... and by having fun you will develop your skills faster then anywhere else ...

TRUE WORDS OF WISDOM

supak0ma

Post Tue May 19, 2009 5:54 am   Reply with quote         

deshone wrote:

STFUAC!!!! Cool

YerPalAl

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:46 am   Reply with quote         

Many great choppers have been forged in the crucible of competition. After I left here for a while I played on another site that had the contests broken down into levels, I did not see where that held so much of an advantage. Just chop and ask questions, that is the way to learn.

Just my 2¢

jerryhami

Post Tue May 19, 2009 11:40 am   Reply with quote         

ok first off you have come along nicely

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/154195/display.html

did you read your comments on this one? Someone thinks you are advanced already.

Second look at my portfolio most of my stuff sucks but the good news is that my newer stuff sucks less.

Now I am up against one of the best choppers on here in the last round of H2H contest.

O by the way did you notice in my portfolio I haven't won shit.

There is a formula to winning it took my awhile but I think I figured it out.
I will let you in on it as soon as H2H is over I don't want Rey Rey to hear

YerPalAl

Post Tue May 19, 2009 11:52 am   Reply with quote         

Jerry has made a cogent point.

0-wins, and he is head to head with one of the best for the big chalupa in the H2H.

You don't improve if you don't need to stretch.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Somebody famous said that I think. Rolling Eyes

kinetic_be

Post Tue May 19, 2009 12:22 pm   Reply with quote         

I wrote this a couple of days ago and it can be applied to this subject aswell I believe.

Quote:
In real life, I play competition in a board-game (live and online)
I go to tournaments such as European Grand Prix and I participated in the World Championships in 2004.
Before I got there, I played every time with average players until I was at their level. I didn't improve, nore did they, because we reached the peek of our capabilities.
After a while, I moved on to another website and met people who played live in tournaments so they invited me to start practicing with them. So I did.. and after some weeks, I became better then the average group I used to play with.
And so on and so on until I reached a level in where I can compete with the best players out there.
My point is, and this used to be my golden rule when practicing the game: "Play with the best and become better then the rest".

Why am I saying this? Well, I see a lot of similarity and I do believe that when you compete with very good choppers every day, your skills will vastly improve because you want to 'compete' with them on an equal level and not being too much disadvantaged.

By putting people in categories, they won't be able to compete with the better ones yet. I don't think that will be encouraging enough, but it will hold you from using your full potential.

ReyRey

Post Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm   Reply with quote         

deshone wrote:

Competition pushes people to levels they did not know they could reach. Competition is a good thing. Those people that are at the top are the same people that were struggling at the bottom not too long ago. Wink

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Contest Divisions by Rank, Change Needed Somehow - Reply to topic