Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Shouldn't we consider this? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

blue_lurker

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:20 pm   Reply with quote         

abraham wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:
I disagree abraham, we cant blame the sources because we cant think of any thing to chop, that's our fault, and even if some of the source images are not that great in resolution we should be able to correct some things to a degree.

I think we want it all to easy now days, lets get back to 7 days advantage, with 1 day a week speed chopping. No voting for the source they come as they come and we the "artists" should be able to apply our skills to the best of our ability.

To much weight is placed on vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning. I think we have forgot that this is a fun site and chopping should be fun, lets remember that. This place cycles back and forth with posts and chopping always has and always will. We just need to make it the best we can when we can.

No Blue, to say that too much weight is placed on vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plain winning is totally pointless, I mean it has nothing to do with the dwindling of entries and votes. It's actually much easier to win now regardless of quality or idea you have in your entry because of few entries submitted and seasoned choppers are not around. What I am pointing is the fun and joy of chopping. To come up with a good idea and good execution, to have a good end result, satisfaction. What I am suggesting is that the sources should have the 'it' factor. Just looking at the sources for this week, july 5-11, already frustrate me. We must put considerations on sources we put here, good source produces good entries. Challenging is not enough, it must be choppable to the max, lol.

See the sources, entries, number of entries and votes the same time from the past years. http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=255385#255385

then see and compare the sources now

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/queue/fullsize/40279cbad50236f115feee63dfd677c8a56f38403187.jpg

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/queue/fullsize/21992f3c900ecd77b33caa8e85613f541e9ad83447285.jpg

So how do you account for the H2H, yes it is a special event and lets be honest the sources were not the greatest yet some of the best images ever were produced. We all had the same source to work with. Every one just put in more effort and thats what is missing. We cant keep blaming the source all the time we are meant to be able to come up with ideas to make that source rock. How many times have you looked at a source and gone I got nothing only to see the contest open and say, shit I wish I had though of that. We are just not giving it our best efforts.

Take the recent chicken contest, buck won that with a 20 minute chop on a dare from me in chat, after the contest had been running for half a day. Shit my image came in 4th and it was crap, yet I still worked with what was there as a source. If we get to pick and choose all the time we become lazy, and our mental creativity in my opinion becomes dull.

I dont get to pick and choose what images I have to repair fro work I have to use what I am supplied, thats where skill and methods come into it. I would hate to see some of the people here chop back when you got the source at 8am and that was it, no 30 days to take your time and research and google and tweak. Even I would have trouble going back to those rules.

A bad workman should never blame the tools he has to use...if he is a true crafts man he should be able to produce the best he can with that he is supplied. Our tools are PS and the source image, I still say its our fault that contest numbers are down and they will only increase when this cycle in the PSC cyberlife comes full circle.

BTW I was not blaming vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning, if you notice that was a seperate paragraph and a general statement.

Man I need my soapbox back huh Wink

ScionShade

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:25 pm   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
give all the votes to the newbies, the old timers are to idle to bother voting anymore Smile

Oh comon now. A vote here and there is all I'm good for anymore.

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:52 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
abraham wrote:
blue_lurker wrote:
I disagree abraham, we cant blame the sources because we cant think of any thing to chop, that's our fault, and even if some of the source images are not that great in resolution we should be able to correct some things to a degree.

I think we want it all to easy now days, lets get back to 7 days advantage, with 1 day a week speed chopping. No voting for the source they come as they come and we the "artists" should be able to apply our skills to the best of our ability.

To much weight is placed on vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning. I think we have forgot that this is a fun site and chopping should be fun, lets remember that. This place cycles back and forth with posts and chopping always has and always will. We just need to make it the best we can when we can.

No Blue, to say that too much weight is placed on vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plain winning is totally pointless, I mean it has nothing to do with the dwindling of entries and votes. It's actually much easier to win now regardless of quality or idea you have in your entry because of few entries submitted and seasoned choppers are not around. What I am pointing is the fun and joy of chopping. To come up with a good idea and good execution, to have a good end result, satisfaction. What I am suggesting is that the sources should have the 'it' factor. Just looking at the sources for this week, july 5-11, already frustrate me. We must put considerations on sources we put here, good source produces good entries. Challenging is not enough, it must be choppable to the max, lol.

See the sources, entries, number of entries and votes the same time from the past years. http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=255385#255385

then see and compare the sources now

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/queue/fullsize/40279cbad50236f115feee63dfd677c8a56f38403187.jpg

http://photoshopcontest.com/images/queue/fullsize/21992f3c900ecd77b33caa8e85613f541e9ad83447285.jpg

So how do you account for the H2H, yes it is a special event and lets be honest the sources were not the greatest yet some of the best images ever were produced. We all had the same source to work with. Every one just put in more effort and thats what is missing. We cant keep blaming the source all the time we are meant to be able to come up with ideas to make that source rock. How many times have you looked at a source and gone I got nothing only to see the contest open and say, shit I wish I had though of that. We are just not giving it our best efforts.

Take the recent chicken contest, buck won that with a 20 minute chop on a dare from me in chat, after the contest had been running for half a day. Shit my image came in 4th and it was crap, yet I still worked with what was there as a source. If we get to pick and choose all the time we become lazy, and our mental creativity in my opinion becomes dull.

I dont get to pick and choose what images I have to repair fro work I have to use what I am supplied, thats where skill and methods come into it. I would hate to see some of the people here chop back when you got the source at 8am and that was it, no 30 days to take your time and research and google and tweak. Even I would have trouble going back to those rules.

A bad workman should never blame the tools he has to use...if he is a true crafts man he should be able to produce the best he can with that he is supplied. Our tools are PS and the source image, I still say its our fault that contest numbers are down and they will only increase when this cycle in the PSC cyberlife comes full circle.

BTW I was not blaming vpp or how many votes or the stats or just plan winning, if you notice that was a seperate paragraph and a general statement.

Man I need my soapbox back huh Wink

agreed

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 am   Reply with quote         

Just a note:
checking the stats pages it's noticeable that the decline (of votes, entries,etc...) started somewhere around november 2008

The global effects of the crisis really started to show too around that period.

Not saying this is the only factor, but I'm pretty sure it is a contributing factor

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:45 am   Reply with quote         

Interesting.

Maybe its just a less funny world out there now.

Heinlein

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 am   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
Just a note:
checking the stats pages it's noticeable that the decline (of votes, entries,etc...) started somewhere around november 2008

The global effects of the crisis really started to show too around that period.

Not saying this is the only factor, but I'm pretty sure it is a contributing factor

Interesting.

I wonder how the other photoshop competition sites are doing?

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:26 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
SCWIDVICIOUS, sorry you feel number 2 is a problem, but it's not. What else is to keep someone from joining, posting a piece of carp, then calling everyone he/she knows and asking them to come to the site and vote for the garbage or setting up a dozen aliases so they can vote for themselves.

So, yeah, you have to earn your right to vote, that's why we keep saying STFUAC. It ain't no big thing, you should be here to chop anyway.

no pal, you mis-understood me.. i was simply saying that i cant vote at the moment, and number 2 is why..lol (hey look at it like this, at least i read and understood why i cant vote, im sure many others don't)

Iv been admin on sites for over 9 years, and own a hair curling 63 sites, its how i make my living, so i know about having to earn your way in.. I wont post any of my sites info here because im not a spammer, i have plenty of traffic, and cant spend every waking moment chopping, but i do when i can..

im not far from having the 10 i need... Laughing

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Just wonder anybody Suggest this,

in anon contests, 3 vote on the entries that u think will be the top 3, and if u your vote is one of the top 3, u get something.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Shouldn't we consider this? - Reply to topic