Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Copyrights? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

xademart

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 am   Reply with quote         

I have no idea how does it work here on PSC - but is using copyrighted content (screens from games/movies, photos of celebrities etc.) allowed?

I think that's not fair if an entry that uses only copyrighted photo/graphic gets lot of votes. I remember that there was a huge fight about your entries published on Polyvore. Isn't using someone else's works in your entries any different?

(Yes, I am a copyright freak and it's nothing personal)

yello_piggy

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:45 am   Reply with quote         

as long as nobody is paying for my psc-chops, I feel free to use material without explicit permission. member since 2005, about 450 entries, never had trouble.

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:28 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Q: Can I use copyrighted material in my entries?
A: Not unless you contact the proper owners of the image and obtain permission. Contact them first, you may be surprised at how many will give you the OK.

Q: An image of mine has been placed on your site without my permission!
A: We try out best to keep the site free other people's hard work. Sometimes, however, our users sneak one past us. We will promptly remove any offending image and warn the author. If they have been warned before for the same reason, we will delete their account and ban them from using our site. In short, we will do everything possible to clear the site of any unwanted presence of your copyrighted material in a timely manner.

http://photoshopcontest.com/faq/help.html

cafn8d

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:35 am   Reply with quote         

What Rashdog said. Smile

Are there plenty of examples of copyrighted images (some more famous than others) used in chops without any "problems?" Sure. But that doesn't mean it's "okay" or that you're "safe" to do so.

Definitely do NOT go by the standard of whether or not you make money off of your PSC chops. You cannot control where they spread or who might take it upon themselves to sell your image. Look at Anfa's
S.S. Fat Guy
, for example.

And never, but NEVER use someone else's chop without express permission and credit. You'll get lynched. Mad

arcaico

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm   Reply with quote         

rashdog wrote:
Quote:
Q: Can I use copyrighted material in my entries?
A: Not unless you contact the proper owners of the image and obtain permission. Contact them first, you may be surprised at how many will give you the OK.

Q: An image of mine has been placed on your site without my permission!
A: We try out best to keep the site free other people's hard work. Sometimes, however, our users sneak one past us. We will promptly remove any offending image and warn the author. If they have been warned before for the same reason, we will delete their account and ban them from using our site. In short, we will do everything possible to clear the site of any unwanted presence of your copyrighted material in a timely manner.

http://photoshopcontest.com/faq/help.html

bullshit... so... are you guys saying that the Josh Holloway source from a contest back then was NOT copyrighted and actually taken by some member and then uploaded... BULLSHIT!!

Use anything girl... copyrighted or not... the most will happen is to have it removed in case someone claims the copyright.

sorry rash, I know you can´t say that officially... but you know that´s the way things work in here... not even the contest sources respect copyright sometimes...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:

bullshit... so... are you guys saying that the Josh Holloway source from a contest back then was NOT copyrighted and actually taken by some member and then uploaded... BULLSHIT!!

actually jmh himhself

and fair use policy could be used here (not going into a legal debate though, as US laws are too unfamiliar to me, and I stress COULD)

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Well... it wasn't a question if I can use copyrighted images or not because I NEVER use or even think about using copyrighted images without asking for author's permission.

My question was more if it's allowed here and no one gives a damn about someone else's rights or the entries that violate copyrights are going to be removed by the administrators.

If you want your copyrights to be respected, respect other people's rights.....

arcaico

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:48 pm   Reply with quote         

xademart wrote:
Well... it wasn't a question if I can use copyrighted images or not because I NEVER use or even think about using copyrighted images without asking for author's permission.

My question was more if it's allowed here and no one gives a damn about someone else's rights or the entries that violate copyrights are going to be removed by the administrators.

so... technically, you´re just starting a fuss...

no wonder you were associated with that scumbag anfa!! I should have known...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

A.G.L

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:37 pm   Reply with quote         

If U are angry about my entry...well there is no help for that.
I know that a screen shot has never been copyrighted. I mean U can't say: " Oh look I went into the game and made a few screen shots, that >>I<< made so that belongs to me". I don't think that U can claim that it's yours neither can the company, however they can say that the product is from them.

I saw so many pictures of so many games that were made within the gameplay and nobody said anything about it. If it was true that the screen shots were copyrighted why isn't there any watermark on them or at least a CC signature in the corner.

About the celebrities.... hmmmm .. I remember that some of us abused Obama so many times on PSC but in a good way... ok except that one time that somebody made a gif. how Obama is spitting an egg out of his mouth( I think it was an ester gif).
In my opinion U can use what ever U want except the nudity ( because of the kids Very Happy ) and the pictures that have a CC sign on them.

A.G.L

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:04 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
xademart wrote:

Picking on young girls again, you big puff!! And you call Me a scumbag!!! Pffft!!

arcaico

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:43 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
arcaico wrote:
xademart wrote:

Picking on young girls again, you big puff!! And you call Me a scumbag!!! Pffft!!

equal rights mate... wasn´t that the reason they burnt all those bras back then?

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

xademart

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:45 pm   Reply with quote         

No, I am not trying to start a fuss.... but as I can see fighting for copyrights is like fighting with windmills...

arcaico

Post Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:12 pm   Reply with quote         

xademart wrote:
No, I am not trying to start a fuss.... but as I can see fighting for copyrights is like fighting with windmills...

too late... it´s already started... look... anfa has blood in his eyes...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

yello_piggy

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:05 am   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Are there plenty of examples of copyrighted images (some more famous than others) used in chops without any "problems?" Sure. But that doesn't mean it's "okay" or that you're "safe" to do so.

as long as I do not have any money-benefit with using another pic, I think it is ok for fun-use. otherwise they should keep their pics out of www, a public place. and if there were a reclaim, I would let it quickly remove. also I am careful with my selection, to not violate peoples right for privacy (though they kicked her right on their own before, when they uploaded the pics).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - Copyrights? - Reply to topic