Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How much money to charge as freelancer? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

yello_piggy

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 am   Reply with quote         

lancoma wrote:
yello_piggy wrote:
supak0ma wrote:
yes, a minimum i'd ask would be 3000

so do I, 3.600 euros plus vat...

do Austria have some freelance site? Very Happy

sure, there are. but most of them want huge amounts for taking part in networks and so on, kind of dubios. so I fight for my own, to get some pieces of the cake. you mentioned those discounters working in a shit-hole. they are here too, and they are destroying the market by dumping. but often, clients who consulted such a dumper, are ready to pay for quality after the first job, thats our chance to help them out Wink

lancoma

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Well, I asked for a raise from $0,20 to $0,57 per image and they say it's too high jump. Isn't life just great? Crying or Very sad

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Then that is not a client you want anyways. they are looking for something for nothing. They will see that they get what they pay for. Maybe they don't care. Fuck em'

lancoma

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:08 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Then that is not a client you want anyways. they are looking for something for nothing. They will see that they get what they pay for. Maybe they don't care. Fuck em'

thumright I hope they find some chinese kid who will do cut outs with eraser!

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:21 pm   Reply with quote         

lancoma wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

thumright I hope they find some chinese kid who will do cut outs with eraser!

You're evil! Smile I believe they will find 2 chinese holding the same eraser for that price Smile I've been through this so many times that is funny now Smile

Marx-Man

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Not going to use a batch command to sort the levels, gamma and colour balances on all the images in Photoshop? I know you will have to open them up individually anyway but at least it will take some of the grunt work out of it most of it.

Five things that change the end value:

1.) A fixed fee per image. (Usually higher for fewer images.)
This fee is dependant on the quality of the photo fixing. The client chooses which one they want to go for. Usually it is broken down into categories ranging from:
Batch, basic monochrome, grey-scale, photo fixing which works out at the least.
To...
Individual, full colour, photo editing, photo fixing working out at the most.

2.) Time (labor costs)
People have to live whilst they work and time is money to many business ventures to compensate they ad on a fixed hourly fee.

3.) Software (Cover costs)
Software isn't free, however, this add on is generally minor and is added across several clients (Until eventually the cost of your standard software is covered)

4.) Tax. (VAT)
This is generally added on if you are trading goods or services and as you are providing somebody with a service it is reasonable to add this on. Not paying the VAT man can be devastating to a buisness.

5.) Delivery costs.
An email is cheap but depending on the media and distribution it could escalate upwards quickly, make sure to account for this even if it is just a CD.

Once all of these are taken into account most English designers settle for a standard hourly freelance fee of £30. Which depending on the Designer encompass's points 1, 2 and 3

However with the quantity of images and the expectation for the level of quality you should expect payment in the vicinity of 2-3k+ for the job.

Edit...

Wouldn't be the first time an American business outsourced anything thing relating to shoe retail to beyond the bounds of the EU, in order to get it on the cheap...

COUGH *SWEAT SHOPS* Cough

lancoma

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Wow, thanks for a reply, you really put an effort in it. I think I need to change a site with jobs. And I also need a little more confidence with respecting my work and my time. First I was on rentacoder (disaster), now I'm on GAF. But on Gaf there are people who paying $30 for 20 high quality retouched images (i mean you have to spend at least one hour on one photo, it's a serious photomanipulation they want). Then you got Elance and Odesk but there you got a pass a lot of amazingly stupid tests. Do you guys know any other place with jobs? Confused

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:27 am   Reply with quote         

In the future, when a "New" client comes along, and asks you to help, make sure before you do anything, ask them what the most amount of money they are willing to spend for the expert service you would provide, if they insult you, laugh in their face, and tell them they must not care too much about their project, and to only call you if they want to get serious, what will happen, is that they will respect you a lot more, if you take a beating early, they will never respect you, they will think that your price should come down because they are providing more work for you, and you should be grateful. Before a job starts, you have the most power to negotiate, once it starts you greatly lose that power. Wink

I'll never forget, one time my friend needed some work done on his boat engine, the guy told him it would cost $2,000, my friend said, "can you do it for $1000?" The mechanic said,...and this is priceless, that it would be cheaper for him to hand my friend $500 to leave his shop, because he would only be fucked for $500 and not $1000, I laughed and asked if I could quote that someday. Laughing

lancoma

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:56 am   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina wrote:

I'll never forget, one time my friend needed some work done on his boat engine, the guy told him it would cost $2,000, my friend said, "can you do it for $1000?" The mechanic said,...and this is priceless, that it would be cheaper for him to hand my friend $500 to leave his shop, because he would only be fucked for $500 and not $1000, I laughed and asked if I could quote that someday. Laughing

and now you got your chance Laughing I'll be smarter in the future...it's that feeling of the first online job, you can't believe it you got it so you're willing to do anything Smile

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:29 am   Reply with quote         

lancoma wrote:
Hi guys Smile . I need honest opinion: how much would you charge to make clipping paths+color balance+renaming of 1500 images? (shoes in this example). Company is in America, west coast. I wonder what's the price of people working there.

Depends on the complexity of the clipping paths and whether they are expecting 'hand-made' or basic magic wand removals.

Pro shops start at 49 cents per image and up to 99 cents.
I guess you'd have to try and match that.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How much money to charge as freelancer? - Reply to topic