Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Drop the egos and learn - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

ReyRey

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:58 am   Reply with quote         

This is kind of related to my other thread about updating an image. Some people said they won't update because they will lose their place in line. Some others simply refuse to admit they could use some help. Someone sent me a PM about this image: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/161324/striped-strat-upd.html

Quote:

But I could find only two things that stood out. Surprised One was the aforementioned "missing" hole for the whammy bar....I need to research, but maybe some Strats don't have whammies, I'm not sure.

The other thing was the reflection of the sheet on the guitar. In particular, those just under the tone knobs. It seems like they don't match the width of the stripes they are reflecting. As for those under the pick guard, I don't even feel qualified to say what a reflection on that surface should look like.

So, if you're still reading this and aren't pissed off at me, please tell me how you did the fabric (the shadow layer under the fabric). Did you just grab a brush and start painting in shadows and highlights, or did you use some other trick you have hidden away somewhere?

I hope this didn't offend you or anything, it seems you just struck a note with me (I've been playing guitar for about 12 years now).

Here was my reply:
Quote:
I don't get offended. Thanks for the input.
I do freelance for another artist friend of mine. Most people
hate working with him because he is always finding something
wrong with their art work. He is waaaayyyy too picky and sounds very condescending when he tells you to fix something.
Not on purpose. He is actually a very nice guy. That is exactly the
reason I like to work with him. He makes me see things I never noticed before. He makes me improve myself every time I work with him. When I first started working with him, I would do the image and then send it to him. He would call me up and you could hear the heavy sigh in his voice. It made you want to crawl in a hole. Then he would give you a huge list of corrections but he would not just say, please fix this and that. Instead he would say "why would you ever do this?" and "don't you know better than that" You would want to reach through the phone and strangle him. Laughing After years of working with him, he always comes to me first with jobs and when he calls me back it is "this is awesome" or "your amazing" quickly followed by "but" Laughing He will never change and I don't want him to. He bought me an ipod with "thanks for all the great artwork" etched on the back.
If people could just drop the egos and listen, they would all learn something.
Thanks again,
Rey

By the way, I researched it and people are right. I need a hole for the whammy bar. I will fix it. As for the reflections I knew they weren't perfect But it still added so much shape to the guitar. I will take a look at that too. Maybe Claf or Vokaris can give me some advise there.
Thanks all. Wink

Cartoon Contractor

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:10 am   Reply with quote         

Well said Rey!

pearlie

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:19 am   Reply with quote         

Ditto, well said, Rey...... I was warned before joining in here..... drop your ego and thin skin at the door. Sometimes the tougher the critique, the more you learn.
hopefully Laughing

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:20 am   Reply with quote         

The morale is : I will never ever make a guitar in PS Smile
Simply because my ego couldn't go lower than it is and I'm sure I'll have tons of errors Smile

Cartoon Contractor

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:31 am   Reply with quote         

bogonet wrote:
Simply because my ego couldn't go lower than it is and I'm sure I'll have tons of errors Smile

Now that's what Rey is talkin about. Chop the guitar and learn from the mistakes. You'll never be able to chop a guitar if you don't chop a guitar! Kinda like learning to play a guitar. You'll suck at first but with enough practice pretty soon you'll be able to play. Wink

bogonet

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 am   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor wrote:
bogonet wrote:

Now that's what Rey is talkin about. Chop the guitar and learn from the mistakes. You'll never be able to chop a guitar if you don't chop a guitar! Kinda like learning to play a guitar. You'll suck at first but with enough practice pretty soon you'll be able to play. Wink

It was a joke CC Smile
Even if my ego is at sea level i would have tried. But now, after Rey's work, how much could I embarrass myself ? SmileSmile So if I'll never chop a guitar it's only Rey's fault Smile. Blame it on him.
About sucking, well, ....tons of works to come, I won't worry about that Smile

Tesore

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 am   Reply with quote         

Hear Hear!

Cheers,
the Queen of Updates

Laughing

bogonet

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 am   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
Hear Hear!

Cheers,
the Queen of Updates

Laughing

It doesn't matter, a queen is still a queen Wink

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 am   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
Some people said they won't update because they will lose their place in line. Some others simply refuse to admit they could use some help.

This sucks!

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

That's it! Very Happy

RR is a pro because he's working for years with very picky clients who know what's a well done job. They have good eyes. They are requiring a lot, but that made RR good like he is.

In my case, I learned a lot by working with some of the best photographers. They know what to do to make fantastic pictures and they know what to ask me to make those pictures even better. By example, last Tuesday, I showed my work (work in progress) to one of my client. Just to know what he thought about it, thinking that the image manipulation can be mostly done. I'm still working on it! Shocked
That's the way it is... coming back on details, searching for perfection. That's the way to learn.

-------

So if you're saying you're satisfied with a chop with few flaws, maybe increasing your skills isn't for you. I like to see good choppers like RR or TJ updating regularly their chops. There's things to learn from that for everyone.
But this site is first of all a place to have fun, to hopefully increasing your creativity.
And talking about creativity, we can also talk about laziness some days... isn't it?
Smile

ReyRey

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

Cartoon Contractor

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:10 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:

Ok, Cool! Now insert a naked chick tuning it!! Wink

ReyRey

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:

Coming right up!

Cartoon Contractor

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:14 pm   Reply with quote         

ReyRey wrote:
ReyRey wrote:

Coming right up!

thumright

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:29 pm   Reply with quote         

I don't know if "photorealistic" was the goal or not, in some parts it still looks like an illustration of a guitar.

As far as improving it, here are some notes just for starters.
http://yfrog.com/13rey2fenderj

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Drop the egos and learn - Reply to topic