Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Should I or Should I not? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Dechene

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:18 am   Reply with quote         

Merry Christmas!

Santa Claus has decreed that Dechene may spend around $150 AUD on a Graphics Tablet!

I've just noticed this brand, Lapazz, for sale in Australia, does anybody know anything about them?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lapazz-12x9-Tablet-Wired_W0QQitemZ140366778742QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Input_Peripherals?hash=item20ae831176

They look okayish, but the fact that all their models are halfprice compared to Wacom n co makes me pause before I buy.

I'm not a professional artist, I need (want Razz ) a tablet to do my PSC chops, enhance my photos etc, I don't need the top of the range, but I don't want to spend good money on crap either!

Hope you all had great Chrissies!

Dechene

rockyjob

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:16 am   Reply with quote         

One of the only review for Lappaz tablets, having few isn't too good either.

Quote:
This is a terrible tablet. Poor pressure sensitivity (despite advertised 1024 pressure sensitivity levels), the pen takes a single AAA, and the hot buttons are located on the same surface as the drawing area so you often accidentally go over one of them and it will open something such as Microsoft Word. Though, these hot buttons can be disabled.

You're better of spending an extra $20 on Wacom's 'Bamboo Fun'. Used it, works great, the only downside to it is that it's a 6x4 work area. Even so, I prefer it to this Lapazz one.

Bamboo fun

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_fun.php

Quote:
Bamboo Fun lets you get hands-on with your creative projects, combining the benefits of Multi-Touch with the comfort and precision of Wacom's ergonomically-designed pen.

With Multi-Touch, you can navigate, scroll, and work with simple hand gestures. With the tablet's large touch area, you have more room to navigate than you do with other touch devices like computer trackpads and mobile phones.

Need precision? Pick up the pressure-sensitive pen to draw, sketch, edit photos, and add handwritten elements to your creations. The generous size of Bamboo Fun gives you lots of space for creative freedom, making it simple and comfortable to use.

Bamboo Fun works with your existing computer: desktop or laptop, PC or Mac. Attach it to a standard USB port and set it comfortably by your keyboard. You can even customize your Bamboo Fun experience by assigning your own shortcuts to the four ExpressKeys™.

Available in a stylish silver color, Bamboo Fun will complement your current setup. And it includes valuable additions that make it ideal for your creative projects.

Quote:
Tablet Dimensions (WxH) 13.3" x 8.8" (338mm x 224mm)
Active Area - Touch (WxH) 7.5" x 5.1" (190mm x 130mm)
Active Area - Pen (WxH) 8.5" x 5.4" (216mm x 137mm)
Pressure Levels 1024 on Pen Tip
Resolution 2540 lpi
Max Data Rate 133 pps
Accuracy +/- .02 in (+/- 0.5 mm)
Tablet Weight 1 lb. 12.5 oz
Connectivity Standard USB
Orientation Reversible for right- or left-handed users

System Requirements

PC Windows® 7, Vista® or XP with Service Pack 2
Mac Mac OS® X (10.4.8 or higher)
Hardware Also requires color display, powered USB port, and CD/DVD drive

I'd recommend spending those extra $50 more since this is a very sturdy trusted tablet and you also have multi-touch included.
Or you could also opt for a normal Bamboo tablet which has basically the same features just smaller to work with for $99

Dechene

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:24 am   Reply with quote         

cheers Rocky,

I saw that thread on the net, a bit further down that page it is given a glowing review by someone else. Useful huh?

I've spent some time looking at reviews, there's not that many, I'm probably going to buy it unless someone has firsthand experience at it's suckiness?

dunno

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:37 am   Reply with quote         

Dechene, i never heard of Lapazz, so i cant talk out of experience either. Sorry.

On the other hand, until now i did not really hear about any other tablet being a real match for a wacom. So, Rocky has got a point, i guess...
We have a wacom too, and its doing fine. Right now i am also thinking to get myself another "bamboo touch and pen". Those functions like zoom with 2-finger gestures are pretty nice, i checked that out it in a shop...

Anyways... you are from Australia? Is this run-out special not interesting?:
http://www.buywacom.com.au/products.cfm?fullID=B080B87F-1297-428F-F7A5D51469FD52AD&ID=0
I mean, its got a 6x8 working area, good reviews and it leaves you addtional 20 bucks to get even more stuff! Smile

*Edit: After giving it a second thought, i think you could also buy that Graphite and spend the 20$$ leftover to get something for people who really need something. Its Christmas afterall.

glennhanna

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:49 am   Reply with quote         

Dechene wrote:

I'm not a professional artist, I need (want Razz ) a tablet to do my PSC chops, enhance my photos etc, I don't need the top of the range, but I don't want to spend good money on crap either!
Dechene

Get a mouse. They are cheaper and do just fine. Unless you are chopping 8 hours a day, I don't see the need to get a tablet and then try to learn how to program all the buttons and options and figure out how to use the thing. The smaller they are, the more annoying they are to use. I say get something else for yourself for Christmas. Merry Christmas!

ReinMan

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

howdy and happy C-day, Desh.

I own a Bamboo, and it works great. I don't normally use a tablet (that's why my entries usually suck, or so I've been told Razz) but this one was a great price (I got the basic WITHOUT that stupid mouse).

I HAVE owned a cheaper tablet, I suspect made in the same factory as that Lappazz one you are looking at - it also took a AAA battery in the pen/stylus. It was okay - but they never made a driver for MAC, so when I switched over a couple years back I needed to switch to WackyCom.

I think the IMPORTANT question here is: Can you return it if you don't like it? If the answer is yes, then go for the LapAss and try it out. If it sucketh, then returneth it and fork out the extra AU$$ and get the "better" tablet.

reindeer

jkmansell

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:19 pm   Reply with quote         

I just waited until I could afford a Wacom. I am the worst for delayed gratification so it killed me but it was WELL WORTH IT!

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Wacom Intuos3 here. Other than an occasional driver bug I LOVE IT.

Somewhere along the line I wrote a review of it for PSC'ers looking at tablets. I'd search but I gotta go drive in the storm. Confused

rashdog
Site Moderator

Post Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I won't use anything BUT a tablet now when I'm on the computer.

This Firefox add-on has made it particularly fun to use a tablet as a mouse:
Grab and Drag: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1250"

Chrome also has something similar but, imo, not as nice:
chromeTouch: http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/chrometouch/
also something else for Chrome...can't remember its name right now.

Dechene

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:46 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Anyways... you are from Australia? Is this run-out special not interesting?:
http://www.buywacom.com.au/products.cfm?fullID=B080B87F-1297-428F-F7A5D51469FD52AD&ID=0
I mean, its got a 6x8 working area, good reviews and it leaves you addtional 20 bucks to get even more stuff!

Very interesting.

Okay this leads to me another question, how big do I need my Tablet to be?

I have plenty of desk space, so that's no issue.

I run dual monitors (which freakin rocks!) so generally when I chop I have all my tabs open on one screen and just the image I'm working on on the other.

The Wacom for $130 has a 6x8 working area;
The LaPazz for $150 has a 12x9 working area.

That's double the working area for $20, how important is size? Razz

Don't brag now guys, how big is yours??? Laughing Laughing

Oscar

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:21 am   Reply with quote         

I got one of this not long ago and it works flawlessly with photoshop cs4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280437294013

WACOM MTE 450 BAMBOO for $70 with free shipping.

soulrock

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:10 am   Reply with quote         

Hello guys!
I love this topic!
Now I'm exposed to another know how!
Tablet?
To tell you frankly, here in our place i didn't see anyone use this one. Maybe those rough professionals! lol!
Is this thing can really help your chop better? In our school, we usually use a mouse and our instructor never told us about this thing, tablet!

I'll research for this one........

I'm just really new to art break through. If this thing can help my chop better, yeah, I wish I could have my own! I thinks it's expensive. Hoping is free, so, I have to wait for my tablet! heheheh!

Happy Holidays everyone!

bogonet

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:45 am   Reply with quote         

soulrock wrote:
Hello guys!
I love this topic!
Now I'm exposed to another know how!
Tablet?
To tell you frankly, here in our place i didn't see anyone use this one. Maybe those rough professionals! lol!
Is this thing can really help your chop better? In our school, we usually use a mouse and our instructor never told us about this thing, tablet!

I'll research for this one........

I'm just really new to art break through. If this thing can help my chop better, yeah, I wish I could have my own! I thinks it's expensive. Hoping is free, so, I have to wait for my tablet! heheheh!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Change class or teacher then Smile
Yes, it is indeed a nice addition. You're gonna use both the tablet and the mouse. I found pen invaluable for painting shadows/highlights, not that coudln't be done with mouse only, but accuracy is far greater and time spent it's ten times shorter. I currently use Wacom Intuos 3 A5 Wide, and for those who own one, there is a new driver release (november i think) with few new features for windows 7 (maybe works on vista too, didn't check it).

About the size, dunno who asked, it's good to be big because you have the option to limit its "active" area to whatever serves you the best, customizing it for your style and type of work, so better has a reserve than work on a too high level of zoom and miss the whole picture, forced to see it by zooming in and out often (in case you don't have dual monitor).

Write a letter to Santa, for now mention a less expensive one, to not piss him off from the beginning, and next year, depends on your results dare to ask for an upgrade Smile

Happy Holidays to you too!

rockyjob

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:21 am   Reply with quote         

I didn't get a little upgrade, got a HUGE one..
Intuos 4 large 12.8 by 8, ExpressKeys that glow and tell what YOU programmed them for. TouchRing that works very well with multiple functions. No batteries at all. It's just great.

Ehh,$150 bucks for 12 by 9 tablet seems a bit too good to be true, you know what I mean? The pen probably is heavy and it might scratch the tablet a lot. I think it's a waste of money. Unless you can get a refund and try it out. Otherwise, I wouldn't buy an unknown tablet

rockyjob

Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:46 am   Reply with quote         

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Should I or Should I not? - Reply to topic