Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How long have you been chopping?? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

falloutgirl

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:35 am   Reply with quote         

Ohai PSC,

So I'm still an amateur at this (If you've seen any of my pics, then you'll have to agree... >.<), and I only really do it because I have nothing else to do when I get home from school; but I know that a lot of you guys are professionals, right?

Well I just wondered how long it takes to reach the standard of a "Pro"? So a question to all really, how long have you been chopping?

Alice

(P.s, happy valentines!! ;D)

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:42 am   Reply with quote         

ive been chopping for about 6 months..and learning all the time. just keep at it and you'll get to were you wanna be..theres alot of photoshop tutorials on youtube which helped me out alot

good luck Smile

falloutgirl

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 am   Reply with quote         

Wow, just 6 months? That's amazing, after seeing your work I thought it would have been much longer than that!

And thanks, this is a hobby I intent to stick too (:

st1n3r

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:02 am   Reply with quote         

6 years, still not pro Mad
never thaught about it... man Hmmm this is bullshit

SWINGING BLADES LIKE A HELICOPTER

glennhanna

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am   Reply with quote         

7 years. but my work keeps getting worse and worse.

falloutgirl

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:10 am   Reply with quote         

Well I just had a quick flick through both of your portfolio's, and everything looks freakin awesome. I've been going for like, 2/3 months, and still suck... badly.

...but then again... if i'd have started six/seven years ago... I would have been 7... xD

Martrex

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:03 pm   Reply with quote         

falloutgirl wrote:
Well I just had a quick flick through both of your portfolio's, and everything looks freakin awesome. I've been going for like, 2/3 months, and still suck... badly.

...but then again... if i'd have started six/seven years ago... I would have been 7... xD

One must be patient Grasshopper(Old David Carradine character from Kung Fu) Some day you will be able to walk the rice paper and not tear it.

PS does grow on you. When you start to feel comfortable with it then you start to realize how much more there is to it that you hadn't been aware of. But if you're having fun with it then time doesn't matter.
(By the way have you found all the free PS tutorials available on the internet? Everything from basics right on up to pro level info.?)

Enjoy Marty
As far as experience, I had some before joining here. But have learned more here and elsewhere on line in the past couple of years.

ReyRey

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:27 pm   Reply with quote         

It doesn't matter how many years.
6 months after I started using PS I was working as a photo retoucher
for clients like bloomingdales, pepsi, WWE (which was WWF at the time), and a ton of catalouges.
1 year later I was a proffesional illustrator and hi end retoucher working for huge clients like
m&ms, perdue, Subway restaurants, post cereals, Kelloggs, dannon, Perrier, heineken,
Trojan, etc.
The reason I was able to turn pro so fast is because I graduated from college as an illustrator and fine artist.
I was an artist first. Trained in the classic mediums. ( oils, pencil, charcoal, guache, water colors, acrylics, etc.)
I was trained in drawing and human anatomy and life drawing and realism style painting.
Also composition, color theory, design, etc.
I did not learn PS until a year after college and I taught myself, but I didn't look at it as a computer program, I used it more like a paint brush. Just another medium or tool of art.
I didn't care about filters , plug-ins and tricks. I used the paintbrush, Airbrush, and the selection tools, especially the pen tool. To me the pen tool was just like cutting masks in watercolor or airbrush class. That and the clone tool were all I knew.
Because of color theory I was able to figure out color adjustments.

I know people who have been using PS since it first came out and they still don't create anything nice but they are very good color adjusters.

What I am saying is PS is just a tool. Learn to be an artist first and then use PS as a tool.
Don't think of it as the high tech program that if you learn it all (you won't)
then you will be an artist. ( you won't)
Wink
PS does not make you an artist. You make you an artist. PS just makes it easier to create what your artistic mind can think of.
A person who uses PS can draw a baseball and you would say " oh look, a baseball".
An artist who uses PS could create a baseball that you would want to hang on your wall.

L@rue

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Since 2002
But never used technic to chop and also haven't often read tutorial

L@rue

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Lol
My wife told me that I chop like the way I speak English

Oscar

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:38 pm   Reply with quote         

6 years

yeah am that good.

falloutgirl

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 pm   Reply with quote         

@ReyRey
Wow. Ok, so I'm impressed. That's quite a past you've got yourself there. Thanks for all the advice and insparation, and you're so right about the artist first thing. So it seems no matter how long I stick with this, I doubt i will ever reach your level for that precise reason... because, well... I suck at art... xD But I'm still going to carry on. Try and try again as they say Wink

and lol rue Razz

sonic3

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:01 pm   Reply with quote         

I started messin with photoshop about 2 and a half years ago.
I keep goin because Its my hobby and I enjoy it.
Smile

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:14 pm   Reply with quote         

falloutgirl wrote:
@ReyRey
Wow. Ok, so I'm impressed. That's quite a past you've got yourself there. Thanks for all the advice and insparation, and you're so right about the artist first thing. So it seems no matter how long I stick with this, I doubt i will ever reach your level for that precise reason... because, well... I suck at art... xD But I'm still going to carry on. Try and try again as they say Wink

and lol rue Razz

Just hang in there and have fun.... you'll get better and better
i had been "messing" with photoshop for years, but not in any artistic manner till I joined up here. I then got a tablet, and that alone improved my skills many times over. I read what people do, i download every layered file I can find, and i try to recreate them. Sometimes I do ok, sometimes they are horrible, but I learn a lot in the process every time....

My biggest problem is coming up with ideas.. lol ohhh and shadows, i suck at shadows.. I need to get my camera out and concentrate on shooting shadows then I can study how they work in different situations..

Post Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:16 pm   Reply with quote         

I like seafood!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - How long have you been chopping?? - Reply to topic