Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Help! Too many layers! - Reply to topic

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:45 pm   Reply with quote         

Is there a way to click on an area of a PSD and cycle through all the layers that compose that spot? My PSDs are always a mess, and I can't find the layer I need to edit half the time. ;_;

Help!

Marx-Man

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:11 pm   Reply with quote         

In photoshop?

With the move tool selected there should be a check box called Auto Select in the tool options...

This works by selecting the layer you are focusing on, 'on press'.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I usually hit the move tool, with the show transform box checked, then go through layers until it pops up, if that's what you mean.

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks, that's helpful.

Any way to cycle through all the layers that compose a spot? Sometimes 5 layers will occupy the same space, but the move tool only lets me get the top one.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:19 pm   Reply with quote         

that's why I go through the layers in the layers window, you'll see them change

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:22 pm   Reply with quote         

if they are overlapped you can slide the opacity bar to see exactly which one you want

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:27 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah, but there's so many layers. v_v

I really need to learn to name my layers and use groups... or better yet, not use so many freakin layers.

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Another thing I'll do when too many layers are building up on a small area, is go to layers, arrange, merge down, or Ctrl+E. At least you can keep sections grouped together more easily

annajon

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Death of a Clown wrote:
Thanks, that's helpful.

Any way to cycle through all the layers that compose a spot? Sometimes 5 layers will occupy the same space, but the move tool only lets me get the top one.

I always connect all the layers that make up one part of the image, untill I have everything right, with the little button in the box.

If I am happy with that part of the changes I put all the layers together, copy this new single layer into a new file, undo the put together (safety catch incase I need to change details again lateron) and copy the single layer back into the layerfile.

All the previous little layers that make up this one part I make invisible (kept in a folder if they are too many).

This way you can safe all the layers you have used, and only keep a few eventually, but still be able to work on them if you need to for details.

I am a very messy worker, usually, but this has made it easier for me somehow.

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:38 am   Reply with quote         

Also you don't need to merge layers to keep them together. Select the layers you want in layer box with ctrl, or with shift & move tool, & hit ctrl+G (group). If you want to ungroup them later it's ctrl+shift+G. They will act like one layer (you can change opacity and it will work on all layers in group) but you will not be able to add some effects and filters. to do that they just need to be merged...

supak0ma

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:29 am   Reply with quote         

right click on the spot?

Sjitske

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 am   Reply with quote         

Command click on the spot and be sure that your cursor menu is set to "Layer" instead of "group"

Set your layer preview panes to BIG by right clicking on any layer preview pane and select from the menu Smile

Maybe it helps.

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 am   Reply with quote         

Besides detailed naming, which like you I fail to do all the time. I understand the frustration with the layers. Wish they could intergrate Ill with PS. I like Illustrators layer system a lot better.

Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for all the helpful tips, everyone.

delia

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 am   Reply with quote         

I usually click the "eye" icon to turn the layers on and off until I land on the one that I need.

Also, get in the habit of naming the layers (right eye, left eye, accents, sparkles, etc.) so you can locate it. It only takes a second and really helps.

Smile

http://www.track4va.com

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Help! Too many layers! - Reply to topic