Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - H2H rnd4 externals - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

abraham

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

Here are my only externals. No other reference but the source itself.

Here's the psd file. I reduced the size for faster upload in a free hosting website and hope it works.

http://mirrorimg.net/d0u.psd

And here's a simple tutorial

JORDAN792

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:30 am   Reply with quote         

I dont have all my externals saved but most are obvious(edit: sky ground pots, crates, and barrels are all ext. brushes for rest)... but here are all the alternate chops i almost posted...
the guy is now praying in the window of the current chop but i deleted the layer with the large version of the guy praying... was struggling so bad with this source i almost posted as below maybe this is better i think not. Thanks everyone who voted for me congrats to winners see you next round

here are examples of things i almost posted in previous rounds... glad i went with gumby instead... everyone seemed to like that

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

not much worth posting externals for mine

but anyway, used as reference for the chalk line (which i'm not happy with btw)

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 am   Reply with quote         

Externals for mine.

It sure is a P.I.T.A. finding the right externals...had to resort to chopping some together.

Great round, Jordan. Your image was awesome! Smile Best of luck in the next rounds.[/img]

Tesore

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 pm   Reply with quote         

Only source!

Congrats Abraham! Love your image Very Happy
Good luck!

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:37 pm   Reply with quote         

My Externals:

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..
abraham

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore wrote:
Only source!

Congrats Abraham! Love your image Very Happy
Good luck!

Thanks Paola! I like your image too, as always. You are one of the best Bow and it's a challenge to win against you so I was really pressured to do my best Laughing . How I really wished not to meet you in this earlier round. First , you are a friend and secondly, I was afraid you are going to send me in the loser's lounge, I can't drink! Laughing See you around my friend Hug

Dream_weaver

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Rangizzz

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks for sharing guys. And thanks for the tut and a PSD Abraham. It's always nice to see others work. Will take a look for sure.
Congrats to my opponent. Supak you did a great chop.
And sorry for that leg left on the wheel! Smile I've been looking at this chop for hours while making it and later during the contest and didn't see that huge mistake! When I was reading comments I was like: WTF they're talking about?! Laughing
Shouldn't have happend. Looks like amateur job Very Happy (I mean I am an amateur but nobody has to know that Laughing)
And I agree about the tree res. but it's so hard to find a normal regular tree image Smile I didn't.
Here are my ext.

nat_g31

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Sorry for the speed of this but just wanted to share my externals, I seem to have destroyed most of them. Here is a brief progression of the steps taken. Spent way too much time on it trying to make the stupid damn ostrich and spear match the illustrated look of the rider. No filters just color adjustments and smudging.
Anyway, nice work TJ and everyone else involved!

“I had a dream I could buy my way to heaven, when I awoke I spent that on a necklace.”~~~ Kanye West
TJ

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:04 pm   Reply with quote         

Thanks Nathan. I wanted to do a "All Source" until I read roger1's post in the Lurker's Lounge thread. Laughed my ass off!
I had to add it in somehow.

http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=17911&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Cheers to all and thanks for the sweet comments!

Trann

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Being up against deshone, I had to try for something outside of my comfort zone.

That said, I didn't even know where to start. I began a clean-up, not sure where I was going to go with it, or if I was going to keep it. When I decided to displace time in the scene, I also went with new art (subject and medium).

Paths were drawn to build the stone work and arches around the door, as well as the seams and cracks in the walls. Perspective changes for all textures, torch, ordinary bicycle, iron grate, and door knob; the chalk was not used directly but just as a painting reference. I thought the erosion/bolt holes in the wall could be for mounting a plaque or... a gas light... or, better still, a torch: that's when I decided to shift the scene to night.

Here's the scene in it's natural light; it seemed a shame not to share it as much is lost in the lighting effects. For the night scene, there were a total of eight overlays to darken the environment and five to provide light from the torch. There are a few extra layers of hand painted texturing and shading, of course.

This was a new style for me and I'm very happy with the results.

glennhanna

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:55 am   Reply with quote         

No Externals. This is All Source. Ok, technically it's mostly Photoshop and painting with a little bit of source sprinkled in. I don't like the term painting, because I like to take a shape and fill in light and shadow and manipulate color in batches. It's more like what sketch artists do to add shading to drawings to give a white piece of paper depth. Painting is what I think of on how I ended up doing the hair, with brush strokes. I also use the warp tool to bend textures.

1. Notice my semi-subliminal message? That was the reason for the font... period. 'fASt' had the 'AS' for All Source, and I even underlined it. For some reason I was worried that people might think I rendered the image using 3D software.

2. I do use references when I'm doing an all source. This is the model in which I based the lighting, skin tone, and eyes. Basically, I tried my best to match what I could with PS (but keep the shape of the face in the original source).

3. Shirt Pattern. I believe I took the skin pattern I created, added a motion blur horizontal. Duplicated the layer, rotated that layer 90 degrees and blended the layers together using a mode like Hard Light.

4. Skin pattern. Simply generated some noise, blurred, and added color.

5. One of the first things I focused in on was the eye. I had read ReyRey's tutorial last year on creating eyes. I did this from memory. His tutorial goes beyond the steps I took, and I did it my own way. His is way better. But I had an entire head to focus on, so I stopped when it looked good to me.

6. Helmet. Created from the door.... the padding and strap created from the street.

7. The lowest layer of the face. Darken, Highlight,.... weird things happen to it as I'm adjusting it while looking at all the layers on top of it.

8. Brows, Nose, Mouth.... separate layers

9. Hair and ear. I tried a few tutorials on creating hair and failed. I ended up just painting them. The ear is just like the face, a cutout of my skin patch and shaded and highlighted to give depth.

10. So I got a closeup of this cyclist and no view of the bike. This person needed to be doing something. So I motion blurred the background and added blue and red lights. Why? Because this cyclist is going so fast that she is breaking the speed limit. She's caught the attention of the POLICE. I was hoping people would connect the dots. I added spill lighting to my cyclist on the helmet, face and shirt of the police lights. This also gave me the opportunity to fill the black void in the lower right corner of my image and turn it into an advertisement and reveal my subliminal message. The neon bike was made with the pen tool. Noemi.... not sure if that's the famous Italian cyclist, the name of the wall artist, or a company. I decided to make Noemi my cyclist and the name of a company.

charliesou

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:45 pm   Reply with quote         

My style of chopping is akin to a butcher hacking away at a flank of mutton, trimming the fat off, then laying it on the counter hoping someone's hungry enough to vote for..sorry buy it.
But, after seeing glennhanna's masterclass, my admiration for artistry .........(i'm drunk,bet the winner of the Derby)..
Anyway,what a H2H this is !
-----------------------
Vision is the art of seeing things invisible.-- Johnathan Swift

salut salut salut

edovan

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:44 am   Reply with quote         

Cleaning up the old bicycle took some time...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - H2H rnd4 externals - Reply to topic