Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - "All source" - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Paul Von Stetina

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Wink

seelcraft

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:18 pm   Reply with quote         

Personally, I get a giggle out of doing an 'all source.'
I especially dislike the entries where someone takes a complete, well-composed pic, glues a bit of the source on it, and calls it a chop.

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:04 pm   Reply with quote         

seelcraft wrote:
Personally, I get a giggle out of doing an 'all source.'
I especially dislike the entries where someone takes a complete, well-composed pic, glues a bit of the source on it, and calls it a chop.

Like Tad said, sometimes you want to challenge yourself and that's great. And adding a piece of source to something doesn't turn my crank either.

As Billytvshow puts it

Quote:
the beauty of all source is NOT in simply making something out of all source, it IS in making something out of all source that LOOKS GOOD. There are far too many all source images out there today that have horrible perspective, cutouts, edges, shadows, etc. and expect to get big votes just because it is all source and people "respect" all source as being hard to do. And they are right, all source is difficult, but only when done properly. It's almost as if people use the all source moniker as an excuse to be able to do a piece of work without taking the proper time to do good, solid detail work to it. The original idea behind all source is to make it look clean and pure, with all the correct perspective and shadowing you would find in other works. It is that type of all source work that is clearly the most impressive, and I would challenge the people who do all source work today to re-evaluate what you are doing, and try to do all-source stuff the right way. PSC, as a whole, will look a lot better because of it.

Totoy

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:47 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks Drybie for waking me up! From now on I will never put the phrase "All Source" in my entries! I just copied that phrase here! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Why not just do something where it is obvious that it is all source, but that explanation isnt necessary to gain any would be voters....

ex:

bigbuck

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Tesore

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:46 pm   Reply with quote         

drybie

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:36 am   Reply with quote         

Chicken is my god.

ReyRey

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:52 am   Reply with quote         

Most "all source" are not really " all source"" anyway's.
It's ok to use " all source" to describe what you did but it should not be used to push for more votes.
If it is an " all source" piece of crap then it deserves nothing.
Hey Blue, did you say people take this place to seriously. Laughing
( watch me get Blue crazy)
I think there should be more prizes and money involved.
( watch Blue get mad) Twisted Evil
Laughing
Love ya Blue!

seelcraft

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 am   Reply with quote         

Site Moderator

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm   Reply with quote         

Almost no source: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/66402/pineapple-painting.html

I actually blended the lamp shade into one small place in the background to include source, so that technically makes it "All source & PS", lol. I did have some sort of reference for the pineapple though. As you can see, I didn't quite match it to the original one.

I think this was my first all source entry in the form that "All Source" is thought of today: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/69169/hot-dog-chops.html

This would have been, without the window: http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/61856/paint-roller-maze.html

That much source manip was pretty bold back then. External source integration was the real mode of the day. It's interesting to see how it's kind of flip flopped.
anabe

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:41 pm   Reply with quote         

drybie wrote:
Tesore wrote:
1. Irritation is a personal thing. When you hate it real much, don't vote for them. Easy peasy!

2. The 'Go Big'! If people don't have the respect for your image as it should be, then I'm not the one who try to change that folkes.

Let people do what they like best! And ignore what you don't wanna see. Everybody happy.

My irritation is personal, that's true, but I want what's best for this site. I vote for what I want to vote for but I just wanted to hear other peoples views. I honestly think that the site would be better if all the "all source" images were worth their salt. I'm just letting out my frustration at the fact that a lot of great images do badly and a lot of awful images do well. And if I look back at older posts before the "all source" mantra came about, you see a much better representation of PS skills layered down in the votes.

I honestly don't understand this recurring irritation about "all source" posts. It seems you have a personal dislike for them, others like to do them. "Worth their salt" or not applies to ALL images posted here. It's really very simple: If you think a chop is done well, technically, overall impression and message, then you vote for it. At least that is MY understanding.

Shaman said it well:

Quote:
I think art is very subjective. meaning what I like, isn't exactly what you will like or what he or she will like. Just like the Dark Art thread. some people love the stuff, others are turned off by it. so again. Create things that make you happy. my 2¢

BTW I love the idea of a no external source day... maybe we could have that day right after.. chop on the fly day where everyone starts working an image once the contest opens.... those are a blast to do!

And I really like the idea of a "No Externals Day"!

Tesore

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:51 pm   Reply with quote         

Post Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

no source day.. check
no externals day.. check

what next.. no contest day?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - "All source" - Reply to topic