Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Lack of!!!! - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Marx-Man

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:26 am   Reply with quote         

2 is not so much a contest idea but more of a challenge Idea...

2: Chop to spec...

A lot of users in the forums often get asked to chop an image to a specification.

Like adding depth, removal, changing the direction of the light or turning night to day or vice versa and recreating things in an art style.

Why not have a dedicated weekly version?

3: A different version of the Multi-Chop is the Mixed-Bag.
Users get a selection of images to choose from and they have to use those images to create a chop, the images include something like some textures and several scenes etc and there are up to 10 images, users can choose any or all but no externals.

ReyRey

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Marx-Man wrote:
I Am sure we are all waiting with baited breath

Marx-man's breath smells like bait? Shocked

Marx-Man

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing

YerPalAl wrote that.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:11 am   Reply with quote         

Designed2522 wrote:
This website has severely lost talented artist and the lack of what is talented in PS........ nough said!!!

Bah talent, that word makes it sound like babies drop out the womb with an umbilical cordless Pen tab and start doodling before they open their eyes Laughing, it's a learning curve and a steep one to get to the level your talking about.

It's not just skill, it's creativity, theme, style and flair. They have to be developed and honed new users can't be expected to perform at top level off the bat.

jaw2785

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:09 am   Reply with quote         

xyloz wrote:
Designed2522 wrote:
This website has severely lost talented artist and the lack of what is talented in PS........ nough said!!!

Bah talent, that word makes it sound like babies drop out the womb with an umbilical cordless Pen tab and start doodling before they open their eyes Laughing, it's a learning curve and a steep one to get to the level your talking about.

It's not just skill, it's creativity, theme, style and flair. They have to be developed and honed new users can't be expected to perform at top level off the bat.

Okay, I'm pretty drunk about now, so please excuse me if I sound like... I'm drunk.
I started entering these comps a little over a month ago, or so. I've produced some decent images, I think, and I've thrown in some crap that I knew would go nowhere.
This whole site is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. What the voters want seems to change like the wind.
I've seen chops that couldn't have taken twenty minutes, be fawned over and praised, because the external just happens to be "perspectively correct".
I've seen other entries that where absolutely perfect in the externals perspective and use, garner almost no votes whatsoever.
I've seen entries that do not even USE the external, (as far as I can tell) in the top five numerous times.
I've seen images passed over that had the "excitement and flair" that one would expect to get the recognition they deserve, be completely ignored while some damn explosive pyrotechnics display wins the whole shebang.
Sometimes I think the whole website should just be called Photoshop Big Bangs.
Or... "Photoshop Video Game Knock Offs".
And for sure I've seen the cliques. One person who seems to be the darling of the month. That's why I seldom enter any contest that isn't anonymous. You all know I'm a newbie here. Does a newbie deserve to win? I've seen some veteran choppers who seem to be completely ignored NO MATTER WHAT they produce.
And it's sad.
The only way to rectify this is with either a new voting system (one vote per person... period) or a system where a given number of participants are elected on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.
There are other voting systems that I am sure exist that are fairer than this hodgepodge of twenty votes per person.
Or perhaps... there could be different awards for... "Most Bizarre" "Most Aesthetically Pleasing", "Best Externals", Best All Source" or whatever.
Of course this would force the webmaster to work harder, but he/she doesn't seem too awful busy now.
As it stands now it's just an awful mess, but we keep chopping in hopes that the PS gods will smile upon us and give us the inspiration someone else can appreciate.
As for me... I don't give a rat's ass about "perfect execution".
I have only two criteria when I cast my few votes.
"Is it truly art"? and," Would I hang it on my wall"?
Maybe the question is... where are all the great chop artists of days gone by?
Did they just die off? Or did they simply just get tired of the capriciousness of the PSC voting system.
It's obviously cliquey at best, and downright juvenile at times.
And I'm sure this post won't garner me any fans.
Just continue to throw me your pity votes when the winner has it in the bag.
I feel so much better when I come in twentieth place, as long as I know everyone has used up all their votes... and I got the last one.

YerPalAl

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:55 am   Reply with quote         

A. Can you spell "subjective"? Everybody's taste is different and what is great to one may not ring another's bell. It is the way of things.

B. Where are all the great chop artists of days gone by? They have real lives, they got married and had kids, they got bored, maybe this place go too hard (after a while they run low on original ideas), maybe they are using PS for other things (like making a living) and it's not so much fun here. The point is, instead of wondering where the old talent went, why not try to improve the talent we have here now?

I'm just sayin' . . . . .

bogonet

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:

B. Where are all the great chop artists of days gone by? They have real lives, they got married and had kids, they got bored, maybe this place go too hard (after a while they run low on original ideas), maybe they are using PS for other things (like making a living) ....

I'm just sayin' . . . . .

Exactly my case. I've started at least 10-12 chops during last couple of months and I've never been able to finish them due to the new family responsabilities, even they were 80% completed Smile. I'm a bit offtopic, Designed mentioned about those talented, but I'm pretty sure even they might found themselves in a similar situation. But less busy time will come and I guess those addicted (like me) will post again when time allows it.
Ex. Look at Anfa, he ran outta beers and start posting, more "free" time these days. Smile

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 am   Reply with quote         

Designed2522 wrote:

I didn't know this site was only for the elite of PS. I am new to this site and thought it would be fun to participate. I am learning and try to do the best that I can with what I know and with the limited time that I have to do it. I think your comment is very discouraging to beginners that would like to enter.

I don't see any reason why the beginners cannot enter along with the talented artists.

xyloz wrote:

I agree! I also think this is a great site to get experience, ask questions, and get others opinions. I look forward to performing at top level one day and so far have been learning since I have been here and hope to continue to learn!

YerPalAl

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 am   Reply with quote         

Thank you, nicely put.

People forget that this is a place to learn, I learned and a lot of other people also used this as a learning center so that may end up being the best reason for PSC to exist.

Like I said, if those people who continue to decry the loss of talent would just knuckle down and help the newbies improve, that, in itself, would improve the site. People have lives to live and, as much as I miss some of the older member's talent and personalities, this place is what it is, a constantly changing and morphing arena that people use to learn in.

Maybe we should just accept that and try to make it the best online school for improving PS skills instead of waxing nostalgically for the "good old days".

Lets make THESE the good old days.

(ok, go ahead and take your best shot)

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:58 am   Reply with quote         

roger1 wrote:
When I was new to this site (and photoshop in general), everyone that I competed against here was SUPER talented! It was almost enough to make me want to quit when I put tons of effort into a chop and only got 9 or 10 votes. I went through the usual stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance) but I stuck with it, asked a LOT of questions, and improved. The fact that the quality of chops is low right now is a sign of hope....it means that this website has a FUTURE! Some will give up, some will stay at the same level,.....but some will improve and kick all of our asses. If you think I'm joking, take a look at some of the early entries in my portfolio. At the time, I thought they were amazing but, looking back now, I see how poorly executed they were. When it comes to talent and skill, I still have a LONG way to go but I keep one thing in mind.............it's all fun and games Wink

very well put, Roger, my thoughts exactly Smile

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:29 am   Reply with quote         

I didn't know this site was only for the elite of PS. I am new to this site and thought it would be fun to participate. I am learning and try to do the best that I can with what I know and with the limited time that I have to do it. I think your comment is very discouraging to beginners that would like to enter.

Absolutely! and I don't understand why this is always getting a debate! ok occasionally a newbie might come along and already be good at this ps, but for the rest, most start here so they can improve! and why shouldn't they! unless the rules say "only a certain standard can join'( which it doesn't) then I think negative forums like this can be very off putting. Judging by the amount of entries in todays comp, I think its about time more encouraging forums were started!
So newbies just keep chopping, you'll get better and keep in mind that everyone starts at the beginning, even those who have a snobby attitude!

and just for the record, all the unnecessary bickering that seems to be going on in the forums is really getting on my nerves, its so boring!!!

kinetic_be

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

Just make separate contest.

Beginners contests
- Win 5 contests to move to advanced or let PScore decide if you are advanced or not.

Advanced contests

Solved!

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:27 pm   Reply with quote         

kinetic_be wrote:
Just make separate contest.

Beginners contests
- Win 5 contests to move to advanced or let PScore decide if you are advanced or not.

Advanced contests

Solved!
Sounds like W1K

kinetic_be

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:28 pm   Reply with quote         

Yes, its the same idea.

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:19 pm   Reply with quote         

Allow nudity... problem solved
Reinman, keep your clothes on...I meant in the chops

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Lack of!!!! - Reply to topic