Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - 3D softwares and entries - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

taker

Post Tue May 29, 2012 11:53 am   Reply with quote         

i think tj is totally right .this web site should update . now it is nice but we need to compare in tge same type of images and i cant find that exept in h2h . you can just mak a gif contest in the week....

seelcraft

Post Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm surprised anyone would consider using 3D software in a PS contest. Kinda spoils the whole idea, doesn't it?

Post Tue May 29, 2012 1:59 pm   Reply with quote         

I think everyone should be limited to PhotoShop Elements, like me!
Very Happy Twisted Evil Laughing

Post Tue May 29, 2012 2:04 pm   Reply with quote         

seelcraft wrote:
I think everyone should be limited to PhotoShop Elements, like me!
Very Happy Twisted Evil Laughing

I use Elements Smile I thought I was the only one. So now I know one other person who has to deal without being able to create layer groups Evil or Very Mad

Post Tue May 29, 2012 4:07 pm   Reply with quote         

seelcraft wrote:
I'm surprised anyone would consider using 3D software in a PS contest. Kinda spoils the whole idea, doesn't it?

I agree.

It's like using a train in a car race from Amsterdam to a nearby city of Madrid without a train station.

Sure, while your car might be a ferrari, you still have to consider traffic and stuff.
Whereas using the train you'll get way faster over there (eventhough you have to do some walking too in the end)

(i suck in analogies btw)

Post Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm   Reply with quote         

We need a new name... something like 'whateveryouliketousecontest.com.
Let's start with a new logo contest! WEYLTUC.
Rolling Eyes

TheShaman

Post Tue May 29, 2012 4:52 pm   Reply with quote         

I was thinking more of "Linked Songs to go with your Photoshop contest"
But I thought LSTGWYPSC was too damn long.

This is PSC: Photoshop Contest. We should use Photoshop/Elements. Or if you're poor Gimp (cause its free) or Paint (cause you don't know how to download free programs) to create jpg photos/gifs.

There are 3D contests out there, use your 3D software and compete there.

Post Tue May 29, 2012 5:21 pm   Reply with quote         

LSTGWYPSC

I like it! Shocked

Post Tue May 29, 2012 5:31 pm   Reply with quote         

I use 3D in my daily job and and my view on this is that 3D can be alowed as long you going to use it only as an external reference....
In PSC people always find some external image to help with their chopping...Why not creating it with a 3D software...
If you can't find the angle you want of something in Google...just make it yourself!

Of course there are limits and you should use more PS than 3D...

LSTGWYPSC Rullz ! afro

seelcraft

Post Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Grefix wrote:
seelcraft wrote:

I agree.

It's like using a train in a car race from Amsterdam to a nearby city of Madrid without a train station.

Sure, while your car might be a ferrari, you still have to consider traffic and stuff.
Whereas using the train you'll get way faster over there (eventhough you have to do some walking too in the end)

(i suck in analogies btw)

It's like painting a cheetah black and white and entering it in a penguin race! Very Happy

Post Wed May 30, 2012 2:37 am   Reply with quote         

cringer8 wrote:
Using 3D CAD allows you to simply create the object with the exact scale and lighting needed to suit your needs.

Camera angle, depth of field, focal length, lighting, textures,
ray visibility(hide an object but show shadows and reflections on other objects),
save with alpha channel and get a transparent background -> no cut/paste, just drag layer.
I thought it again and making externals may also be called as cheating Smile

papavales

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:48 am   Reply with quote         

well if someone use 2d tech to create a 3d and after hours of work reach close to perfection in ps only, maybe he would lose some votes from some people who read this topic.
On the other hand hand-mades are not perfect as the factory, but its unique and has a story inside

the202
Site Moderator

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:35 pm   Reply with quote         

I've used 3D in several of my entries. I'm not much of a 3D artist, but I'm good at drawing 2D frames in AutoCAD then I extrude them with 3Ds Max.

Contest:
http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/720/uni-sex.html
Obviously in this image, the fence is 3D that has been matched to the perspective of a stock image of a house.

Contest:
http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/744/clocked.html
The clock body and top are extruded shapes that I used to set up the perspective.

Contest:
http://photoshopcontest.com/photoshop-contest/842/life-saver.html
The life saver and the rope (only around the life saver) were drawn in AutoCAD then converted to 3D and rotated slightly.

Contest:
http://photoshopcontest.com/tournament/view/427/display.html
I mapped the bowls onto some spheres created in 3Ds Max.

Contest:
http://photoshopcontest.com/tournament/view/230/display.html
Watch face - Numerals, hands and dials drawn in AutoCAD then exported as a rotated, flat solid in 3Ds Max.

These entries are pretty simple and a few were created back when there was no advantage - similar to a "Speed Chop" contest. Please don't think that by utilizing 3D it gives someone and advantage; I would argue it can create more problems than it solves because rendered 3D requires a lot of texturing and post-Photoshop painting to fit with the rest of the image. In a sense, a nice 3D image requires a lot of "dumming down" to fit with the everyday images provided in the source pool. Additionally, drawing and extruding in 3D is very time consuming - but I was interested in that type of software at the time so it was fun experience.

papavales

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:06 pm   Reply with quote         

yes its not super easy to fit a 3d work in an everyday image, but most people thinks that you have the super skills to create something like that in photoshop only, so you get their execution vote with some comments like "fantastic photoshop work". Comments like this didn' t get any of your entries which doesn' t provide any 3d highlight.

Werdnaibor

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:13 pm   Reply with quote         

It's really not fair to post entries like that without letting people know you used 3D software to make portions of them. It's misleading.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - 3D softwares and entries - Reply to topic