Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

TheShaman

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm   Reply with quote         

mega prize would work...

for one contest. I doubt it wouldn't bring them back permanently.

we lost some good members when advanta-chat started up too.

maybe bring back good old regular chat where we used to speed chop our conversations.
and you didn't need to click a link to see the pictures if you didn't have advantage....

I also like the idea of maybe 2 H2H's
during the H2H's theres lots of traffic around the site...

Hell if it wasn't such a nightmare to get going, I'd say do it quarterly.

If PSCbuzz wanted to sell.. perfect time would be during the big H2H contest...
wink wink nudge nudge say no more.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:06 pm   Reply with quote         

I'll buy the place

The-Masked-Layer

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:08 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
mega prize would work...

for one contest. I doubt it wouldn't bring them back permanently.

we lost some good members when advanta-chat started up too.

maybe bring back good old regular chat where we used to speed chop our conversations.
and you didn't need to click a link to see the pictures if you didn't have advantage....

I also like the idea of maybe 2 H2H's
during the H2H's theres lots of traffic around the site...

Hell if it wasn't such a nightmare to get going, I'd say do it quarterly.

If PSCbuzz wanted to sell.. perfect time would be during the big H2H contest...
wink wink nudge nudge say no more.

You..uh...interested in Photoshop, are you? Photoshop? Chop. Chop. Win. Win. He asks him knowingly.

abraham

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:16 pm   Reply with quote         

kinetic_be wrote:
I'll buy the place

Yes Marcel, this place (1st and foremost) needs concern from the owners.

I'm not sure if this makes sense. But when Procyon was so felt and active in forums, the site increased participation Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:26 pm   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
I agree that he was a better than average chopper but the nice guy thing was part of his play and part of the bullshit. He said stuff to me via PM that he wouldn't say in a public forum that would ruin his nice guy image. He's fake as fuck!

I know I know... I just didn't want to be too rude! Laughing

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:31 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:

speaking of... where the hell is showcase?

say his name 3 times whilst looking in the mirror.... Wink

Marco, honestly? He put down anyone else's work who he thought posed a threat to his. Pfft!

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:46 pm   Reply with quote         

OK for no more anonymous comps.
OK for no more speed comps.
OK for no more 50 dollar comps... in fact no more money or prizes. Play for fun!
OK for new "active" owner. It seems it is necessary.
1 H2H and 1 Reunion Contest per year is enough.
No need for Marco... some other "votes sucker" will come one day... believe me!
No need to suck top choppers to come back... some can't do better than now... but ask the members who are loosing their time on Facebook
to chat around here.
Maybe members can make a better effort to bring some more inspiring sources + some more effort to make more creative and entertaining chops.
Do. Not. Be. Lazy. Be creative!
And finally, I think we all have to change our avatars for something more catchy, attractive... it can make the site more inviting... I'LL BE THE FIRST...

anfa

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:17 am   Reply with quote         

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM[/youtube]

anfa

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 am   Reply with quote         

Oh year, and Mitt Romney is a total cunt!
We hate him on this side of the pond.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:05 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah... I don't trust Americans.
They are able to make this motherfucker their future president. If it happens, the entire North America will be in the deepest shit ever! Cool

Oh well... back to topic... Laughing

Werdnaibor

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:11 am   Reply with quote         

Claf wrote:
Yeah... I don't trust Americans.
They are able to make this motherfucker their future president. If it happens, the entire North America will be in the deepest shit ever! Cool

Oh well... back to topic... Laughing

I really hope it doesn't happen. Some of the most alarming views have been coming from the republican party.

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:50 am   Reply with quote         

I will tell you why i am not active on here anymore....
they wont do anything the people ask for.....

1, been over a year since i have tried getting my tutorial fixed, sent the images to 20 people for it, hell i even made a thread about it... still nothing there for the images.. not checked today, but there is no need, its not fixed guaranteed.... it relies on the images to help newbies see what im talking about.. so psc is fucking people over with my tutorial. it detailed enough for a newbie to make nice brushes from... spent a long time making it.. i wish they would take it down now..... but they wont do that either.. in fact they wont do anything the people ask for, hence the problem.... sites are supposed to evolve, this one is stuck.

2, its freaking boring here,,, bland, white that burns my eyes... nothing interesting, nothing funny, nothing different.. not like we cant have user styles that are selectable for each user... tis called themes and they are free for bb forums... easy to incorporate, and can make a big difference to active members.... I for one would like to see different colors.. but for those who want the same shit, its as simple as leaving a second folder in there.... wow... so hard, takes 3 min tops for the forum...

People might bitch about change, but it helps bring new people in, this site is so stale even google has pushed it way down.... .... no need it me trying to help that though, it does require changes and updates to keep search engines happy...

im betting it will just be shut down in the next 2 years as it is probably not making the new owners too much money... it could, but that requires some movement besides a forum (that is mostly dead too)

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 am   Reply with quote         

OK, I haven't been or played here in weeks. Why? Work. Very busy with major projects. This year I've been stuck in two modes: (1) very busy or (2) very sick. Neither supports hours for photoshopping. While I haven't played here as often as I would like for the aforementioned reasons, don't feel too bad because I've played here more than I have on my own site. Yes, I have a digital arts community (and I won't tell you what it is because I'm here to play, not sell).

So as someone who admin'd one site and founded another, let me give you my insights. Zoen and Snythvet were pretty much spot on: lives change and what changing relationships don't grab (single to parent), the economy grabbed most of the rest.

My site is not big and never was, but participation now - including my own - is abysmal. Most Photoshop sites have experienced a downturn. That bears repeating: most Photoshop sites have experienced a downturn. The participation problem at PSC is NOT unique to PSC.
Because my community is small, I had a good relationship with all so I asked/begged them - Where are you? Answers mostly fell into these buckets in ranking order:
    1. Family: "When I started I was single but now I have children and I want to spend what little time I have with them." So essentially, folk grew up.
    2. Job: "Since I lost my (x years) job, I've really struggled to make ends meet. I can't afford to lose this job, I'm working more than ever. I just don't have time or energy."
    3. Bored/Transition in Hobby: "Anyone can Photoshop now - it's not as fresh as it used to be" or "I wanted to learn a new art and now I'm really hooked on... " Several moved from digital art to canvas (like ReggieNoble2). Several moved to 3D/3D animation. Several moved to video. Several moved into Simple Life, opened shops, and are lost in the void.
    4. Health: Several members have become too ill to play; a couple members have died.
    5. Not enough contests/too few contests/don't like the contest software/miss the contest software/can't find their way around site/etc... I've tried various formats - dailies, weeklies, tourneys, challenges, mega prize contests, contest software, inline (forum) contests, anonymous, ranking, scored, etc. Everyone will never like everything and there is no single fix. (Which is why this thread started).

We do 2 tourneys per year and I try to do 1-2 big prize contests (past prizes included Adobe Photoshop, Wacoms, gift certs ($50/$100/$200), Advanced Photoshop Subscriptions, etc). It's a free site with no ads... I hate ads. It's a hobby, not an investment, so I eat the cost. I and members have donated prizes. This year has been tough for prizes because I've had 3 surgeries. I'm not rich, I just had disposable income (and some here know why).

No, I can't afford to buy this site. I'm sure pscbuzz wants his purchase prize (+) and I don't have $30K laying about. And Werdnaibor - your post about chopper/owners manipulating contests was dumb - nothing kills a site quicker than that and most owners want to recoup money from their investment. Plus if the owner won most contests, most people would pick up on that, don't you think? In fact I rarely play in contests on my site - that's why I play here. We've had 9 tournaments since 2008; I made it to the last round once and only played in 3 (two before I became an Admin; we don't allow folk who admin (including me) tourney or prize contests to play in the same).

If you have children, or your job sucks your lifeforce, and/or you are into new hobbies BUT still play here it is because it is a primary motivation, like Cringer said. You, my friends, are the "quilting club" of the 21st century. And there are a lot fewer "quilters" than there used to be. Participation has dropped everywhere because fewer people are Chopping for fun. It's pretty much that simple.

So your goal shouldn't be to recruit new members, but to keep the current members happy. Because the days of 60 entries in a contest are gone. I really hate this white background - get rid of it. Smile

Some crazy dude Guided By Pandas

The-Masked-Layer

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 am   Reply with quote         

Guided by Pandas,

This is what you wrote:

No, I can't afford to buy this site. I'm sure pscbuzz wants his purchase prize (+) and I don't have $30K laying about. And Werdnaibor- your post about chopper/owners manipulating contests was dumb - nothing kills a site quicker than that and most owners want to recoup money from their investment. Plus if the owner won most contests, most people would pick up on that, don't you think? In fact I rarely play in contests on my site - that's why I play here. We've had 9 tournaments since 2008; I made it to the last round once and only played in 3 (two before I became an Admin; we don't allow folk who admin (including me) tourney or prize contests to play in the same).

Some crazy dude Guided By Pandas[/quote]

This is what Werdnaibor wrote:

But then they would become corrupted and manipulate the site so they win every contest they enter. Fake accounts, seizing abandoned profiles for votes, sources that play to their strengths, arbitrary disqualification of competing entries. Or maybe (yes, it definitely is) that's crazy paranoia.

Before you call out someone's comment as being "dumb", try to look for the humor and/or sarcasm.

TheShaman

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:25 am   Reply with quote         

I agree masked. but humor/sarcasm is most times (not sometimes) lost on the interwebz

most of what panda said is correct.

I really liked

Quote:
You, my friends, are the "quilting club" of the 21st century. And there are a lot fewer "quilters" than there used to be. Participation has dropped everywhere because fewer people are Chopping for fun. It's pretty much that simple.

So your goal shouldn't be to recruit new members, but to keep the current members happy. Because the days of 60 entries in a contest are gone. I really hate this white background - get rid of it.

maybe we need to make a friendship quilt again...

For those who don't remember (I wish I had the link) we did a PSC scroll once... where it started with one chop and blended into the next... too lazy to search for it right now...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic