Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question working with CAD programs and file formats - Reply to topic

Designed2522

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:19 pm   Reply with quote         

So I was just asked by a potential client about a project that he needs help with. This client is not computer savvy and works in the tattooing realm. He stated to me that he has a logo design that he wanted cut out into metal shapes and the person who stated that he could do it as long as the graphic was put into a "DXF R12" file format which would allow his cad program to plasma cut the metal into the needed shape. So my question is as follows:

Is anyone familiar with what a DXF R12 file format is or know what im referring to, and what application could I use to to take the graphic and put it into that file format.

Thanks Peeps,
Desi

shane.e.randall

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:44 pm   Reply with quote         

Im slightly familiar. I took a drafting class about 15 years ago, we exported a drawing to a CNC had to save it in DXF. But it has to be vector graphic program like Auto Cadd in a DXF file format. You cant produce that with Bitmat graphic programs like Photoshop (as far as I know or presume to know). But maybe Adobe illustrator has this capability since that is a vector program? Not sure. Thats about as far as my knowledge goes on the subject.

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:02 pm   Reply with quote         

If it is like my laser machine, it will need to accept a DXF outline path file. Adobe Illustrator will work for sure, AI is what I use to convert all my artwork from Photoshop to DXF files.

If there is not an NDA on the project I may be able to convert it for you if you like.

Designed2522

Post Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:57 pm   Reply with quote         

shane.e.randall wrote:
Im slightly familiar. I took a drafting class about 15 years ago, we exported a drawing to a CNC had to save it in DXF. But it has to be vector graphic program like Auto Cadd in a DXF file format. You cant produce that with Bitmat graphic programs like Photoshop (as far as I know or presume to know). But maybe Adobe illustrator has this capability since that is a vector program? Not sure. Thats about as far as my knowledge goes on the subject.

shane.e.randall thank you for the info, its much appreciated! Smile

Designed2522

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 am   Reply with quote         

kyleplatinum wrote:
If it is like my laser machine, it will need to accept a DXF outline path file. Adobe Illustrator will work for sure, AI is what I use to convert all my artwork from Photoshop to DXF files.

If there is not an NDA on the project I may be able to convert it for you if you like.

Hey kyleplatinum, I might be interested in your assistance. I will send you a PM.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Question working with CAD programs and file formats - Reply to topic