Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - A Couple of Statistical Ideas - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Do you think these two new stats increase your enjoyment or interest in the site?

Yes

88%

88%

[ 15 ]

No

11%

11%

[ 2 ]

Total Votes: 17

L-dawg

Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:48 am   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:

Ok all you people who have been talking about the problems in voting in supak's thread, make yourself heard here. This is an opportunity to support some exceptionally fair and strong stats that can handle the pressures of change over time in the way voting has occured on this site. I've put a ton of time, thought, and development into this.

<snip>

I'm not saying change any way the site is currently run or the way things are voted for now and I'm not saying to get rid of vpp, I'm just suggesting two new, relatively simple, statistical measures (RPP and VM) that will allow for the changes in site activity and voting limits that have occurred over time.

I will be willing to write some semi-pseudo code as best I can for implementing this. It would be great just to test it out and see what happens. I know of some issues that will come up with it regarding very early contests on the site, but we can work on that. Any takers?

Bill (Stephen), this sounds great. These are two very good ideas. Especially the "voting magnetism".

I took a course in statistics a while back when I was an engineering student in "collidge". Maybe we could have statistical measures such as the mean, standard deviation, median, mode, etc? I think it would be interesting to see how many votes an "average" post is getting in a contest. And what the mode would be as well.

Assuming voting patterns follow a normal distribution (the bell curve) we could assume that something like 66% of all posts will fall within one standard deviation of the mean (if I remember correctly), 95% within two standard deviations, and Metalic, of course, will "blow the curve".

Let me know if you want any assistance with your ideas, although it sounds like you have a very good grasp of everything.

Lexi

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:16 am   Reply with quote         

Have you heard of KISS (I dont mean that in a nasty way)
This voting system that is set up here is very political ...This site, to me, is an ART form ,I may be wrong , but that is all it is
Someone or something has turned it into a political arena.
Nothing means anything anymore 10 votes now may be the same as 0 votes then.. but it does not mean anything .It is all a joke because of the vote system that has been set up.

It is no longer a competitiion ...
My suggestion is to take all identities out of the posts and to take all votes out of the posts until completion of the contests( No mortal knows anything)..Nothing except the ART work is visable to the voter. If you like it vote if you dont ..dont.... SIMPLE
Take the politics out and its an art
As for the number of votes a person has ..Who Cares .. It does not matter .. (if you dont win THE COMPETITION then work harder.. if you get 59 votes and the winner gets 61 you did not win ..not that difficult really ..work harder and maybe you will get 61 next time ..
that is not what is going on now.
Its all in the STATS
Give everyone 100 votes ..I personally dont have the time to use 25.. but so be it ..thats just me and
PLEASE GET RID OF THE VOTES PER LAST 7 DAYS..I tryed my best NOT to be included in that stat it is an insult to me

ScionShade

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:28 am   Reply with quote         

it seems I have cast the only "NO" vote.
This does not mean that I do not think
it is a brilliant idea-- it is.
It does mean what the question ask-- and NO it will not increase my personal enjoyment
of the site.
The only times I have ever been interested at all in the stats were when Nancers jumped
into the top category and way back when Doodler and Desh were battling it out
for top of the 'newbie' rankings.
Stats mean nothing to me, I KNOW who the greatest choppers are and I KNOW exactly
where they stand in rankings without any need to look Smile
Excellent work BILL!!!!!!!
PS-Fugue? yer nuts and I Love YA anyway Raising Brow
I love Ledirlo too, BTW
Wink

L-dawg

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:02 am   Reply with quote         

Lexi wrote:
Have you heard of KISS (I dont mean that in a nasty way)
This voting system that is set up here is very political ...This site, to me, is an ART form ,I may be wrong , but that is all it is
Someone or something has turned it into a political arena.
Nothing means anything anymore 10 votes now may be the same as 0 votes then.. but it does not mean anything .It is all a joke because of the vote system that has been set up.

It is no longer a competitiion ...
My suggestion is to take all identities out of the posts and to take all votes out of the posts until completion of the contests( No mortal knows anything)..Nothing except the ART work is visable to the voter. If you like it vote if you dont ..dont.... SIMPLE
<snip> and
PLEASE GET RID OF THE VOTES PER LAST 7 DAYS..I tryed my best NOT to be included in that stat it is an insult to me

I agree w/ Lexi here. I think the identity of the poster should be kept anonymous until after the contest has finished (like how it used to be). That alone would remove much of the political aspect of the contests. And eliminating the "Votes Cast Last 7 Days" is also a good idea...

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
The only times I have ever been interested at all in the stats were when Nancers jumped
into the top category and way back when Doodler and Desh were battling it out
for top of the 'newbie' rankings. Wink

HAH - and then when they redesigned the site I got kicked away from the big kid's table for the second time. Every time I finally claw my way into that bracket...BAM!....New site design, and I'm kicked out again.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya, a CONSPIRACY.

deshone

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:41 pm   Reply with quote         

I always knew you had a soft spot for me even when we had our differences Scion ... Surprised

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:31 pm   Reply with quote         

It might be interesting to see......

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:29 pm   Reply with quote         

volkswes wrote:
It might be interesting to see......

'
HAH! We got a complete sentence out of our dear VW there. Maybe not. the ... at the end indicates that there is more to be said, in which case it would be an incomplete sentence.

Eiither way, he did use a 4 syllable word, THAT's gotta be worth something.

Wink VW Wink

ScionShade

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:13 pm   Reply with quote         

I'll admit it Desh. I have always had a sneaky suspicion that
there may be people around PSC that think I may dislike them, or that I
may dislike their views so much that it is nearly the same thing.
It may be a pretty safe bet to conclude that the more a PSC'er believes that I have a personal
distaste for them, then the more likely it
is that I have an exceptional LIKE for them.
Chances are - If you have interacted enough with a single person to be able to draw
an emotional opinion concerning that person THEN
chances would also be that - that person is someone
you have great deal in common with.
Example- your both likely to be on the PSC "Seriously" addicted list.
Oops= lost track of what I started typing about......
HOLY COW VW!!! That was nearly a RANT!!!

deshone

Post Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:51 am   Reply with quote         

And now ? A hug ? Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - A Couple of Statistical Ideas - Reply to topic