Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Windows or Mac? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What's your OS: Windows or Mac?

Windows

80%

80%

[ 16 ]

Mac

20%

20%

[ 4 ]

Other

0%

0%

[ 0 ]

Total Votes: 20

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:30 pm   Reply with quote         

So far, this post is saying that a majority of the people on this site use PCs--but I thought Mac was the industry standard....Hmmmm....makes you wonder.

by pacoperez
Cynn

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:35 pm   Reply with quote         

Yeah, I thought so too, Zet. As I said, in the circles I move in, it is.

But things are shifting. PCs are getting more like Macs, without the Mac price tag, so people are switching. So... maybe you can say that the Mac-based operating system is the industry standard.

StormRose

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Cynn wrote:
I have a friend who asked me to give her some training, in Photoshop. She has a really high-end PC. It went okay, until I tried to use the mouse as a paintbrush. It just didn't feel smooth, and it didn't paint right. Again, it could be a matter of what I'm used to. I don't like tablets, either. Wink

I'm just the opposite; I can't seem to make a mac mouse do what I want it to, it just feels awkward. I also can never figure out where to locate my saved files on a mac, but I've learned everything I know on a pc, so anything else just confuses me,

When I work on large files and bitch about my slow screen re-draws my husband tells me that I probably wouldn't have that problem on a mac, but then again I probably wouldn't have that problem if I just upgraded my graphics card.

Years ago when I was a gopher in the design department of a manufacturing company, all of the designers had macs on their desks, now though, there's an equal mix of macs and pcs.

So I think most opposing feelings, one way or the other, come from familiarity, there are at times, performance differences between the two systems, but even those seem to be less and less as time and technology move along.

Smile

Zetape

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Made me remember my old PSC entry:

For the record, I'm a Windows user...[/url]

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:56 pm   Reply with quote         

Very nice Zetape...

I cant use the shorter/ smaller Mac mouse very accuratly... I guess it is just what were used too.. I guess i am just used to bigger stuff... Wink Wink

txpinky

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:08 pm   Reply with quote         

I use a grey Macintosh G3!

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:54 pm   Reply with quote         

Cynn wrote:
So... maybe you can say that the Mac-based operating system is the industry standard.

OsX is based on Unix. that's why it works well, before that it was hell, i knew of friends of mine they had to format the thing once a week.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:00 pm   Reply with quote         

speaking of formatting. If any of u PC users have problems... like crashing...(in Windows?....pishhh...never hear dof it Wink )
just type
"C:/format" in MS-DOS it works wonders Laughing

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:03 pm   Reply with quote         

I have heard that Mac is better for Media files and editing: Audio,Video, Movies, Photoshop, and so one... but i dont know why they say that.... I see no problems on my Windows?
Any thoughts?

Cynn

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:13 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
Cynn wrote:
So... maybe you can say that the Mac-based operating system is the industry standard.

OsX is based on Unix. that's why it works well, before that it was hell, i knew of friends of mine they had to format the thing once a week.

I don't like OSX much. Huh.. I think they lost some of the ease of use from OS9, trying to make everything drag-drop. I still use 9 at work, because I don't think X handles large quantities of files nearly as well.

My polling has revealed the opposite experience from yours--PCs crash all the time, Macs are stable. I really don't want to argue about this, but I do dislike seeing Macs unfairly characterized as unreliable. Yes, they are overpriced; yes, it's irritating that 90% of software is not written for Mac. But they're nice little machines, and until very recently, were the only way to go if you wanted to create art on a computer.

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Yea, the percentage of software is made in Windows favor...i think it should. Most "home/ family computers" are PC's probably do to the price and popularity and it just snowballs.... that reminds me .. i want some icecream...

mint

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:32 pm   Reply with quote         

I use PCs, both at work and at home.. At work (we make product catalogues) I come frequently to contact with files created on Mac though, or have to prepare files that will be used on Mac which is sometimes a problem. For example Type 1 fonts. Or Quark files. Or even PDFs. Awww. Confused

Macs are neat, but expensive and somewhat posh. And I can't imagine having a mouse without a wheel, that would be return to dark ages.

Speaking of file formats, does Mac still have its own CD filesystem, so that Mac CDs can't be read on PC without a special software? I once got a Mac CD with artwork and had to use a special utility to read it.. I find that ridiculous.

Janitor

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:41 pm   Reply with quote         

As an old pc user I've forced myself to do my last 3 posts only with a mac G5 and I hate the no button whole hand push the mouse's head concept. Right now I'm using a cute little white non toilet seat model of an iBook that has a touch pad that I haven't tried to use the Photoshop on yet but maybe this weekend. I thought cutting and pasting was hard last time Ha!

Janitor
King of the runonsentence! Very Happy

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:50 pm   Reply with quote         

I've been using a Logitech two-button mouse with a scroll wheel on my G4 Mac for quite a while now.

For all intents and purposes it's a pc mouse. So that's not really an issue.

nevet

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:38 am   Reply with quote         

Cynn wrote:
I don't like tablets, either.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
tablets are the most ingenious input device ever!!!

anyways..... from my short experience with mac i can say this:
1. it is much more stable than a pc since the OS was made to work with the mac comp so they work perfectly together, unlike the windows OS wich has many many bugs and annoying things so it crashes too often....
2. the mac OS allows you to work with as many programs as you like at the same time while in a pc you would need a really good comp if you want to work with more than a few programs esp if one of them is photoshop which is considered a big one....

+there are less viruses written for mac Wink

hmmm... this was waaaaay to long...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Windows or Mac? - Reply to topic