Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Windows or Mac? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What's your OS: Windows or Mac?

Windows

80%

80%

[ 16 ]

Mac

20%

20%

[ 4 ]

Other

0%

0%

[ 0 ]

Total Votes: 20

YerPalAl

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:38 am   Reply with quote         

I have both Mac and PC and far prefer the Mac for everything. As Cynn says, it proably depends on what you are used to, but the whole machine just seems slicker and easier to use. Whatever I do on the Mac always seems to take fewer actions and keystrokes that on the PC which constantly asks me if I really want to do something.

Mint, I burn CDs using both the Mac OS and Toast. There is no problem with burning CDs from OS10 and running them on PCs, it is completely compatible. Toast gives you the option of burning for Mac only or Mac and PC. I cannot imagine why it was programmed that way.

Cynn, it was a very hard changover to go from 9 to 10 but now that I am there I am fine with it. It just takes getting used to.

arcaico

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:40 am   Reply with quote         

tablets are the most genious invention for choppers!!! Whoever is against tablets may be considered a PS heretic!! I wonder if I would ever be able to do an entry like this one without a tablet...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

sage

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:14 am   Reply with quote         

IBM = I Boughta Mac Rolling Eyes

I've been a Mac enthusiast (why do we call ourselves that anyway?) since the early 90s, studying computer applications in music. Back then, there was really no comparison between the user-friendly Mac and the PC. Mac was far better for graphics and music applications. Today, I hear alot of people using PC for music and graphics.

Like Cynn, I prefer the mac mouse over that of the PC. I find it more responsive and accurate for some reason.

Someone commented on industry standards in graphics and compared the results on this thread...Just curious, but how many people in this thread are actually in the industry?

In Montreal, Mac is the norm.

Al: You can also use Toast on OS9 to burn a mac/pc hybrid cd.

Cynn: I use to hate OSX also. But like Al said, once you get used to it, it's pretty neat. I especially like the fact that an application can crash without the whole system crashing. I have never had to reboot on OSX, just relaunch the applications. Multitasking is also more "real". You can download upgrades and have the system install them while you work on your PSC entries.

As Reinman once said, my Canadian 2 cents worth.

Cynn

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:32 am   Reply with quote         

Thank you, Sage. I am sure you're right. I've gotten some good advice in PSC chat about making the changeover, too.

Vis-a-vis tablets: I know a lot of people love them. I think I'm just an old dog who can't get used to something that feels different. When I use a mouse, I'm so used to how it feels and how it will affect the monitor that it's intuitive. The relationship of the tablet to the screen is just so different. It's hard to explain--but with the tablet I find my cursor someplace completely different from where I expect it to land.

But I have not spent a whole lot of time using them, because I think the Mac mouse makes an excellent painting tool. Smile

ReinMan

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:52 am   Reply with quote         

Tablet ROCKS.

Mouse ROCKS.

Your mind is what makes you float or sink.

Jump in the Deep Water and SWIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Rolling Eyes Cool

Cynn

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:07 pm   Reply with quote         

Ooh. Get down with your zen self, Rein! Cool

( Um, what do I do with the rocks, again? Please )

sage

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:13 pm   Reply with quote         

ummm...how do you vote? Embarassed

ReinMan

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:18 pm   Reply with quote         

Me PC

Made most of my rent money doing websites the last couple years - PC is better for building them I've found (its just the common platform for the world at this point).

I love MAC's design and eronomics, I despise the attitude of most of their users, and I sleep with my iPod very very close to me! Very Happy

(sage: I am TOO YOUNG to vote! ;P )

MDonoughe

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Windows crashes aren't all because of the hardware. I have a theory that part of it is Microsoft's determination to hold on to old software. Windows was originaly built on DOS, and could run DOS programs. DOS is not designed for multitasking. Microsoft is dedicated to keeping old software running it seems. A common reason they use for not fixing their web browser is that it would break some sites. They feel a need to keep their software compatible with old stuff that was done wrong in the first place. Macintosh and Linux coders, on the other hand, frequently change stuff and try to follow the standards, and frequently make changes that aren't always so compatible with the older stuff. OSX and Linux are moving along quicker than Windows in development as a result.

sage

Post Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:23 pm   Reply with quote         

HA! Reinman, I'm glad some of my attempts at humour are recognized. BTW, I'm glad you underlined "most" in your reply Wink

MDonoughe, you bring up another issue: save for making Apple and Microsoft more money, are all these frequent upgrades really necessary? When Mac changed its OP to a Linux-based platform, we were forced to update all current software because those running on OS9 were incompatible. That meant, in my case, that I had to update Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, QuarkXPress, Acrobat, (well, you get the point...). The one that really pissed me (as well as numerous others) off was QuarkXPress.

When all the other graphics companies were getting ready for OSX, Quark had version 4 out and was developing version 5. Problem was that, although OSX was coming out, Quark's version 5 is not compatible with it. Soon after OSX came out, Quark released version 6, compatible only with OSX, and (excuse the next word...) down-saveable only to 5. This meant that we had NO CHOICE but to get version 5 for OS9, so we could save down to 4 from 6 in OSX. (carry the one, don't pass go, etc))

I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, the move by Quark was good for Adobe because all of a sudden, while Quark use to be the defacto page layout software, InDesign is starting to catch up and more studios and agencies are making the switch.

So...how do I vote? Ironically, I'm on a PC right now and can't seem to access the vote thingy to vote for Mac. Conspiracy? Shocked

nevet

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:38 am   Reply with quote         

sage wrote:
So...how do I vote? Ironically, I'm on a PC right now and can't seem to access the vote thingy to vote for Mac. Conspiracy? Shocked

Hmmm that..... or............voting time is over Hmmm

sage

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:12 am   Reply with quote         

Now, see...had someone told me that the first time I asked, it would have saved me from all this embarassement. Thanks, Nevet, (though you could have told me without the funny face.) Wink

ReinMan

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:27 am   Reply with quote         

Good point was brought up to me in a PM:

It seems that the PC users (On this thread, anyway) are the ones who stooped to "MAC's ARE SHITE" attitude. I must amend my previous statement regarding MOST MAC user's (that I've encountered) and THEIR arrogant attitudes.

What you end up with is the final IMPORTANT thing. If you are happy how you got there, dandy. Then what you used is a good thing for you.

But telling someone that what they have is shite just doesn't help. On behalf of all us Gentle PC Users Due To Budgetary Constraints I offer an appology to those of you whom have a MAC Thang going on.

Bow

nevet

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:19 pm   Reply with quote         

sage wrote:
(though you could have told me without the funny face.) Wink

the funny faces are the main reason i post messages in here Very Happy
it would be a sad sad world without funny faces
i worship the funny faces Bow Bow Bow

MDonoughe

Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:05 pm   Reply with quote         

People who can't get a Mac should use Linux...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - Windows or Mac? - Reply to topic