Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - what's the difference? - Reply to topic

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:20 pm   Reply with quote         

edit: I just wanted to know why one post gets 40+ votes and similar posts get close to nothing. These 2 were just an example.

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/76729/display.html

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/77203/display.html

After taking a closer look, and reading everyones points of view.. I understand why.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Shocked

velocity

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Bababooey,
Yours was good and deserved more than 4 votes, but Kooi's was much better in my opinion.

A couple things contributed to the vote difference:
1. ADVANTAGE - Kooi posted much earlier so got more votes. Look at the number of views... almost 600 to 136. I've posted a similar idea as someone before and hardly got any votes because they posted first. People may assume that you just copied the idea whether or not it is correct.
2. Clean-ness - compare the top left edges. Yours looks like it was transformed but kooi's is very crisp and clean and looks more correct(not so photoshopped). Kooi's is larger which is always good for some votes. Details like the background on Kooi's might not seem like a big deal, but they add up and are good for votes.

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:24 pm   Reply with quote         

you are probably right velocity. I just felt short changed.
Kooi probably used "skew" on each piece while I just distorted the whole thing. I just didn't know why his got so many votes. Oh well.

ReinMan

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Bah Bah Blooey!

M'man! You been here long enough to know that this iS HOW IT GOES HERE!

Your post is good - but there is a "flavor" or"atmosphere" on Kooi's that isn't on yours. I'm not sure what it is. It might be the simple fact that his is BIGGER than yours - it does impact me more at first when I see it than yours.

But, THAT IS HOW IT GOES HERE. He got de votes, you deed not ! Sad

It is unfair, but there is a number of threads out there somewhere that addresses the simple fact that it AIN'T FAIR around HERE!

Sorry. That's just how it is.

If it makes ya feel any better, I gave you as many votes as I did to KooeyMan! Very Happy

Ms_Nicole

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Let me tell u something. You posted your work so much later,( I have seen) , SO MUCH later, it might look like you just took his idea. When I came here to work I always try to check what ppl already posted. To not repeat. Even If I have this idea by myself too. And if I work and I post and somebody else did the same in this while I always try to let the persone to know I did'nt do it on purpose. And double ideas don't take as much votes. Usually. Like today I posted my glass- I knew I do it just to hear some opinion, cause already some jobs like this posted. I dont'e expect votes in this case.
And second.
When people like this complain all the time they so undervoated- it's like- "Oh, I'm so much better then you see"- for me, I'll think before I vote for him next time.

Showcase

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:38 pm   Reply with quote         

Im with velocity about how the post was done.
yours was, as you said, a distorted original. Easily seen as a lazy transformation.

Kooi's was far more effort since he had to make the cutouts for each peice, adjust perspective or rotate, reblend the corners, etc.

the voting was pretty accurate as near as I can tell. If you dont put in the extra effort, dont expect to get the extra votes...

Bluesbro

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:51 pm   Reply with quote         

If you focus too much on the voting it takes away from what this site is really about ... at least for me. Just enjoy, if your stuff remains quality it will all even out. As long as your happy about your work that's all that should matter.

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:25 am   Reply with quote         

i think cuz he used "add noise" a little bit

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:50 am   Reply with quote         

i honestly thought you were trying to make a political statement with that post- and we all know political posts fly like lead balloons in the skies over psc Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

patim

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:58 am   Reply with quote         

No no NO showcase. It just seems that Kooi put more effort in to it than Babababbooye. As Kooi explained in chat, he was bored and did this thing in 5 minutes. There goes the effort. Maybe Kooi is so much better than? He is a great chopper, but I don't see that much difference with bahbahboie (what a name, I will call you 3b).

It is just, and here is the universal explanation for the whole thing.....NOBODY KNOWS!

3b just let it past, take advantage, post early and never look at the number of votes you get EVER.

YerPalAl

Post Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:34 am   Reply with quote         

AND Bababooey, you have been complaining about this all over the site. Chat and at least two threads and comments on other people's posts. That never intices people to vote for you, in fact, it usually has the opposite effect.

For me, I did not vote for either post. I felt both were interesting, but there were technical ssues with both that I did not care for and, in all seriousness, when a post is entered so late in the contest and is so similar in concept to a much, much earlier post, then there is an issue of originality involved. Unless the later post is SIGNIFICANLY higher in quality, which was not the case here, I generally pass figuring the second post was at LEAST heavily influenced by the first.

Best advce from me is get advantage, chop and post earlier, and if you are upset and have to say it, post your concerns once then move along. Otherwise you tend to beat a dead horse and that works against you.

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - what's the difference? - Reply to topic