Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - tournament? - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:51 am   Reply with quote         

ive only been on here long enough to see the end of one tournament, and im assuming there is only one a year. i was hoping somebody could tell me why that is because the tournament seems like an awesome part of the site. i think that there should always be a tournament going on even if the only prize is bragging rights. or maybe we could be allowed to start our own tournaments or something
im just tossin out ideas, but i know that i really want to go head to head with the site's better choppers and see what happens
anyways tell me what you think or tell me im an idiot and ill shut up and go hide in the tutorials until im worthy again

~~SS

ScionShade

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:59 am   Reply with quote         

Tournament are great!
You can a a straight up head-to-head using a this forum thread:-)

~~SS

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:50 am   Reply with quote         

I am aware that the tournaments are alot of work, but yeah i agree i think the H2H tourny should be at least 3 times a year

marcoballistic

Location: I am everywhere, and Nowhere, but mostly, I am right here!

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:52 am   Reply with quote         

and by alot of work i mean for jmh lol, for us choppers it is just a joy, and also like SS here i too joined to late for the tourny. well i was a member in time but only had chops done so alas i missed the deadline by 1 day.....how i cried Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad lol Laughing

splodge

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:56 am   Reply with quote         

THIS YEARS TOURNAMENT IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
http://www.hallcross.co.uk/tournament/index.html

Hallcross Toots
jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:44 am   Reply with quote         

I re-wrote some of the tournament code so it is less work to set up and run. If I get some other small project on here done soon, I'd like to have another tourney asap. Smile

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:47 am   Reply with quote         

I think it's fun too, but I'll never get to second base...

bluefist
Site Moderator

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:56 am   Reply with quote         

I will say this, the tournaments DO end up better & better each year.

Showcase

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

yeah, especially with your fantastic commentary on how one image or another is better than the other and which of a particular pairing should win. Always a good time. Laughing

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:26 am   Reply with quote         

Given they take about 4 weeks to run (and likely to be more as PSC membership grows) then holding more than 2 a year seems a bit much. Also, it would somehow devalue it if it was pretty much constant all year round, IMO.

But 2 H2H Tournaments a year could be good - one in April, one in October, perhaps? I think we discussed this a while back too and it was generally liked as an idea.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:17 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
yeah, especially with your fantastic commentary on how one image or another is better than the other and which of a particular pairing should win. Always a good time. Laughing

if that was aimed at bluefist, that was simply rude. He was attempting to continue the support of an idea even if it was something he might not have been the best at in the past. Do I smell sour grapes? Grow up man.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:19 pm   Reply with quote         

HandToolUK wrote:
Given they take about 4 weeks to run (and likely to be more as PSC membership grows) then holding more than 2 a year seems a bit much. Also, it would somehow devalue it if it was pretty much constant all year round, IMO.

But 2 H2H Tournaments a year could be good - one in April, one in October, perhaps? I think we discussed this a while back too and it was generally liked as an idea.

Yes, too many would dilute their appeal and value. But I agree we should have more than one a year. It brought a lot of people back to the site as well as sparked the interest in some fresher talent.

Showcase

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Sour Grapes? at what? Quitting? Nope.
That doesnt make too much sense. Most times people quit a job or something like this because its the right thing for them.

The fact is, the tournaments are awesome. I participated. I dont say Im going to participate and then drop out...only to provide unwanted commentary in a manner that is sometimes rude and offensive to those that took the time to actually compete...to compete in a site sponsored event...a site that he represents.

Sour grapes about a moderator being rude to untold number of members here and it always getting covered up? maybe.
Sour grapes about a moderator commenting like he's some sort of super hero angel when you're around here only to insult others when you arent? maybe.
Sour grapes about a site that has suffered because, while you make every effort to create a site that is great place to "be", you fail to accept and fix the one thing that possibly is the single biggest issue concerning its members and stoping this place from being even greater? maybe.

anyway, this can be squashed like the rest of the outcry. I'll survive and go chomp on my sweet grapes.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Two a year would be enough, otherwise they would lose their value. Also, they take quite a commitment to be a part of. You have about 3 days to come up with and chop an idea. If you are lucky enough to move on, your next three days are commited, and so on. If you have a busy life: work, kids, sports, etc...,it can be hard to keep up. The daily contests you can pick and choose, but not in the tournament. It's a wonderful part of the site and great fun, if kept in perspective.

Everything about the last tournament was superb from the work done on the pairings to the time frame given for chopping. Run it twice a year and the site will benefit.

jmh132
Site Moderator

Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:36 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
Sour Grapes? at what? Quitting? Nope.
That doesnt make too much sense. Most times people quit a job or something like this because its the right thing for them.

The fact is, the tournaments are awesome. I participated. I dont say Im going to participate and then drop out...only to provide unwanted commentary in a manner that is sometimes rude and offensive to those that took the time to actually compete...to compete in a site sponsored event...a site that he represents.

Sour grapes about a moderator being rude to untold number of members here and it always getting covered up? maybe.
Sour grapes about a moderator commenting like he's some sort of super hero angel when you're around here only to insult others when you arent? maybe.
Sour grapes about a site that has suffered because, while you make every effort to create a site that is great place to "be", you fail to accept and fix the one thing that possibly is the single biggest issue concerning its members and stoping this place from being even greater? maybe.

anyway, this can be squashed like the rest of the outcry. I'll survive and go chomp on my sweet grapes.

lol, just the mature response I expected. If you don't agree with the way the site is run then, well, the Internet is actually a pretty big place. Surely you could fund a place to better fit your needs and politics. Otherwise, chill out, relax and chop some photos. No one cares about the meaningless drama around here and no one takes shots at our mods on my watch. Believe it or not I defended you every now and then too. Perhaps I shouldn't have. Good day.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - tournament? - Reply to topic