Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Votes - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:54 pm   Reply with quote         

I understand the whole voting thing, but while looking through the "Toshiba DLP" contest I saw that some very poorly produced images had more votes than less recent better pictures, seems like a popularity contest to me where all the well known members receive more votes. Am I right to assume so?

By the way I'm new, the name's Alex

supak0ma

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:58 pm   Reply with quote         

great way to introduce yourself! hi! Cool

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

mikey

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:08 pm   Reply with quote         

Right on the money! Wink but I realize that not every one knows what to look for in terms of photoshop skills and great idea's" or they see who has the most votes and they vote for that one. that's just the way it is, you have to get use to it and try to enjoy the ride Rolling Eyes Cool Welcome to the machine, do the best you can and learn a lot around here! Very Happy

Showcase

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:53 pm   Reply with quote         

oh YAY...more!

first, the one with 4 votes includes a tv that was made from *gasp* a tv. how original. The perspective didnt help and then they just pasted a fighting image in there to give it some sort of reason.

the one with 19 votes is far more deserving than the other. It is at least creative, they had to mess with lighting and perspective to get it right.

So you see, your perception and mine are different as mine is different from mikey's as his is different from the next.

The good images win even with the popularity voting that goes on. Just chop your picture and dont presume to know what people will like or see. You'll have more fun this way
Amen.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:58 pm   Reply with quote         

DarkSlash wrote:
I understand the whole voting thing, but while looking through the "Toshiba DLP" contest I saw that some very poorly produced images had more votes than less recent better pictures, seems like a popularity contest to me where all the well known members receive more votes. Am I right to assume so?

An example:

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/94805/votes.html (19 votes)

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/94837/recent.html (4 votes)

Crying or Very sad I'm sorry to hear that my chop is poorly produced. Razz I did work on trying different techniques for that image. If you think that one's bad you should look at some of the other stinkers in my portfolio! Laughing

You do bring up a good point though. One thing to remember is that some images are entered much later in the contest so they simply don't get viewed as much (especially on 2nd and 3rd days). Your example shows a chop that came in at after mine did. Also I did at least 3 edits to mine which moved mine even lower down in the order.

You can pretty much discern a line between those that came in fairly early on the first day vs. those that came in later in the contest. Just do a display of all entries in default order. Usually those at the end of the list, with higher vote totals, have actually been updates of an entry that's been in a longer time.

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:47 pm   Reply with quote         

Showcase wrote:
oh YAY...more!

first, the one with 4 votes includes a tv that was made from *gasp* a tv. how original. The perspective didnt help and then they just pasted a fighting image in there to give it some sort of reason.

the one with 19 votes is far more deserving than the other. It is at least creative, they had to mess with lighting and perspective to get it right.

So you see, your perception and mine are different as mine is different from mikey's as his is different from the next.

The good images win even with the popularity voting that goes on. Just chop your picture and dont presume to know what people will like or see. You'll have more fun this way
Amen.

I understand that, although it's not the work that goes into an image that matters (however it usually reflects in the finished image) It's the end result which is most important, at least to me anyway. I see what was put into making each image, the building was let down by the background which was a light sky blue color with clouds. The idea to make it a building was also good however it was not portrayed as well as it should have been. The boxing image... Looking back on it I gave a bad example there... however I stick to my original statement that it looks like some get more votes because the author is popular.

TofuTheGreat

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 pm   Reply with quote         

DarkSlash wrote:
I understand that the author is popular.

Very Happy Yeah I'm popular! DarkSlash says so!

kencd7

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:35 pm   Reply with quote         

DarkSlash If I were you I wouldn't complain about Yomars post not getting enough votes, I'ld complain about YOUR post not getti....wait...OHHHHH......you trickster.....Oh you got me good you...and welcome. Razz

mason4300 09/22
I dont know why anyone thinks kencd7 is funny

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:50 pm   Reply with quote         

kencd7 wrote:
DarkSlash If I were you I wouldn't complain about Yomars post not getting enough votes, I'ld complain about YOUR post not getti....wait...OHHHHH......you trickster.....Oh you got me good you...and welcome. Razz

I'm not complaining, I guess it may have seemed that way to some, also I received a message from "TofuTheGreat" as I said to him I didn't mean to offend him, his image had some strong qualities, but like all images there is always room for improvement, you will never be able to please everyone so just look at your work and when you think you've done your best then it's finished.

kencd7

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:57 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm sorry, to be honest I was online and had my penis out, and ...don't ask me why..I flicked it, like real hard three or four times. It caused me a considerable amount of pain, then I came on your thread and made a rash and rude comment....I'm sorry...and again welcome.

mason4300 09/22
I dont know why anyone thinks kencd7 is funny

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:02 pm   Reply with quote         

kencd7 wrote:
I'm sorry, to be honest I was online and had my penis out, and ...don't ask me why..I flicked it, like real hard three or four times. It caused me a considerable amount of pain, then I came on your thread and made a rash and rude comment....I'm sorry...and again welcome.

...Erm yes, anyway a little background information about myself, when I make images I like to make the person viewing it feel involved and give them that feeling that they are actually in this other reality that is my work.

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:13 pm   Reply with quote         

No idea what you are talking about, but hello. A dark slash btw is what i get when i'm suffering from intense diarrea..

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:01 am   Reply with quote         

If the contest was judged on skill alone, I'd have 51 wins.

<_<

>_>

<_<

Queen La Tiff

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:13 am   Reply with quote         

eh...you'll get used to it.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Votes - Reply to topic