Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Wow. - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

blue_lurker

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:22 am   Reply with quote         

Maliciously Delicious wrote:
I wasn't complaining about being an advantage member or not. Just stating my opinion of some possible reasons why there is lack of interest on this site. Because it is apparent there is.

I understand that mate but its fine to say there's problems but as a community should we not solve the problems, one being the amount of members that say what's wrong with some thing then sit back and do nothing to resolve the problem. I beleive that a lot of the advantage members do more than just pay for there membership they try and keep this site alive. Im not going to mention names and deeds cause if do frequent here a lot then you know them.

I have said this so many times that Im now annoying myself, but why don't the non advantage member make the effort to improve the site rather than point out the problems.

Maliciously Delicious

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:54 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
I wasn't complaining about being an advantage member or not. Just stating my opinion of some possible reasons why there is lack of interest on this site. Because it is apparent there is.

I understand that mate but its fine to say there's problems but as a community should we not solve the problems, one being the amount of members that say what's wrong with some thing then sit back and do nothing to resolve the problem. I beleive that a lot of the advantage members do more than just pay for there membership they try and keep this site alive. Im not going to mention names and deeds cause if do frequent here a lot then you know them.

I have said this so many times that Im now annoying myself, but why don't the non advantage member make the effort to improve the site rather than point out the problems.

I agree with you. Well maybe something like this to start. When a source is OPEN for contest and posting, the first day only the image is called "Locked". During this one day lock all the advantage members can still post their entries early but cannot see others posted work. So, me being a non advantage member I can also submit my work on the day of, and see only the totals of how many entries have been submitted. After exactly one day the contest is OPEN or "Unlocked" for voting and comments. But also all the entries are shuffled on the pages in random order not pertaining to their submit time/date.

- Alexander Graham Bell
blue_lurker

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:03 am   Reply with quote         

Your missing my point, contest are just a small part of this site and if your fixated on winning then there is your reason for coming here. Why this place is dying has more to do with the membership rather than the contest. I know you have only been here a little while and the contest is the big deal for many, but ask around with a few long term member, both advantage and non advantage and they will tell you in its prime it was the community that kept them coming back, the games and the fun stuff.

If you think the contests are unfair here wait till ya try some other sites my friend, all in all this place is still the fairest of them all. and I don't need no magic mirror to prove that.

To many non advantage members win contests here for that to be true. Shit I won my first contest with out advantage. Look around the internut check out a few other sites with contests I think you will find there ideas are a lot more biases than here.

We need to get the community spirit back into PSC and the contest dont play that big a part for most.

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:14 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Why this place is dying has more to do with the membership rather than the contest...

Bingo.

blue_lurker wrote:
Shit I won my first contest with out advantage.

Me too!

jerry717

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:45 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
We've had LOTS of threads here about why many are not competing here any longer.

I'll state my position again: The original concept for this site was SMALL file size, SHORT turn-around time, FAST n' FURIOUS chopping. No prizes. Anonymous posting.

Well this may have been stated somewhere in this thread already (I didn't read it all). But, anonymous posting did not occur until this site had been rolling for nearly two years and was very short lived. Less than a year. Don't know where you got that idea from reinman, but the rest of what you said is true enough. Wink

I miss those days...

ReinMan

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm   Reply with quote         

jerry717 wrote:
ReinMan wrote:
We've had LOTS of threads here about why many are not competing here any longer.

I'll state my position again: The original concept for this site was SMALL file size, SHORT turn-around time, FAST n' FURIOUS chopping. No prizes. Anonymous posting.

Well this may have been stated somewhere in this thread already (I didn't read it all). But, anonymous posting did not occur until this site had been rolling for nearly two years and was very short lived. Less than a year. Don't know where you got that idea from reinman, but the rest of what you said is true enough. Wink

I miss those days...

Good correction, Jerry. I was coming from MY entry date - I guess at times I feel I was here at the BEGINNING OF TIME Razz

So I sit corrected: it did not start out annonymoose. That being said, having done it both ways now, I miss the annonymoose days.

BLUElurkerDUDE: I feel your frustration. Don't walk away completely, but you may want to take a week or two (or more) "breather" from this whole thing. I do that regularily and it DOES help with gaining some fresh perspective on the PSC SITUATION. (and I know you know this , but I'll say it anyway because you are too far away for me to ring up and take you out for a pint or three. Wink )

Maliciously Delicious

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Your missing my point, contest are just a small part of this site and if your fixated on winning then there is your reason for coming here. Why this place is dying has more to do with the membership rather than the contest. I know you have only been here a little while and the contest is the big deal for many, but ask around with a few long term member, both advantage and non advantage and they will tell you in its prime it was the community that kept them coming back, the games and the fun stuff.

If you think the contests are unfair here wait till ya try some other sites my friend, all in all this place is still the fairest of them all. and I don't need no magic mirror to prove that.

To many non advantage members win contests here for that to be true. Shit I won my first contest with out advantage. Look around the internut check out a few other sites with contests I think you will find there ideas are a lot more biases than here.

We need to get the community spirit back into PSC and the contest dont play that big a part for most.

Contests directly reflect the community and vice versa. If the community is strong and the contests are weak then why isn't this just a forum site? What % are people looking at this site as a contest site or community board. If you focus on the community the contests will lack interest. Which one is it?

- Alexander Graham Bell

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:34 pm   Reply with quote         

Raising Brow

blue_lurker

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:53 pm   Reply with quote         

Quote:
Contests directly reflect the community and vice versa. If the community is strong and the contests are weak then why isn't this just a forum site? What % are people looking at this site as a contest site or community board. If you focus on the community the contests will lack interest. Which one is it?

Im not having a go here mate, but you have been around for such a little time here, look back on some of the contests and see the talent, skill and creativity of the entries not to mention the amount of pages of entries. Now if you were around then you would also find that the community was at its strongest.

There were no prizes, advantage was just a 7 days and before then not even in existence. People competed for the fun and for the bragging rights. The biggest draw card back then was not the contests but the community, and why was that you ask. (You did ask dint ya) Wink

Well people helped each other, shared skills methods and made comments with out all this artistic integrity bullshit. If someone's chop was off a little you could tell them, well if you try to do this it would make it better. Top choppers could comment on someone's entry and not be accused of being abusive or mean. ( Don't get me wrong it was not all a bed of roses we still had conflict but it was of a different kind I guess) We still have a large amount of advantage members that don't chop any more yet they pay there membership, why well I guess they just like the people they have met here, but alas there numbers are becoming less and less.

If a community is strong with in its self then what the community offers is strong as well. Just take a look at the forum sometimes its on the front page, visitors will read what's written there, and if its all about gloom and doom and in house fighting as it has been of late...or totally unrelated PSC topics the impression they get can be tainted. The truth is the contests still hold there own with regards to artwork and skill. I have never seen a contest winning entry that did not deserve to win on some level of skill or creativity.

Wow soapbox is getting a workout in this thread. Very Happy

One question I would like to ask you MD, what do YOU see as the answers to the problem and what are YOU going to do to achieve a better PSC.

Maliciously Delicious

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:19 am   Reply with quote         

I gave a suggestion for the contest BLUE, but thats all I can speak for because as you said I have only been here a little while and cannot give proper input towards the community boards. So my opinions are based on the contest entries from a non advantage member viewpoint.

- Alexander Graham Bell
blue_lurker

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:36 am   Reply with quote         

I gave a suggestion for the contest BLUE, but thats all I can speak for because as you said I have only been here a little while and cannot give proper input towards the community boards. So my opinions are based on the contest entries from a non advantage member viewpoint.

This is not directed at you but to all members old and new.

This is what I am trying to get across to you guys, suggesting is great but doing is better. Look at the success of the team chop, Eve is just a member like you and me. If every one sits back and suggests what to do and no one does anything to improve the place then your right the contests will get weaker and people will stop entering, stop voting, stop visiting. Being here just a short time is no excuse to not do something. Come up with and idea to improve the place and ask around who is interested in helping. I understand your contest concept idea but that's an admin thing and in truth the contests run well as they are with the diversity of anoun and prizes they stand alone.

People like to see other members having fun, and like to join in, shit I think I saw Arco playing in Reindudes theme quick chop game. Im even thinking of re-opening the chopper profiles to get some spirit back into this place...and I think its time for a few other ideas to progress.

Im not a mod, I dont even chop now days, yet I want to see this place grow and improve because it gave a lot to me when I started here all them years ago.

So come on PSC people lets get some spirit back in this place.

ReinMan

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:08 am   Reply with quote         

Yeah, what Blue said: STFUAASTTC ! ! Cool

(shut the f up and add something to the community!)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Wow. - Reply to topic