Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Mentor - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Tad

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:53 am   Reply with quote         

Ty again all. And ty blue. I dont even think I have ever used the pen tool lol Razz

sonic3

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:06 am   Reply with quote         

Tad wrote:
Ty again all. And ty blue. I dont even think I have ever used the pen tool lol Razz

Well i've never used it either, i manage to get by with what i do know but i think at times there is an easier/quicker way of doing things than the way i do them. But unless we know we will just carry on the same.
Mind you i have learnt loads in the few months i have been here and i am enjoying it alot.

Nice people and some great talent.

gravyboat

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:25 am   Reply with quote         

"I think I have come a fairly long way in the "whole month" I have had PS and have learned alot....but I want to get better and excel. As always, I continue to work on tutorials and freelance alot to learn"
I'd say that by this statement you have the all the basics (as in attitude) that you need to become exactly what you want. I'm no guru, but I've found that I've learned most everything about PS that I know from asking, or reading what someone else has asked. I had never used the pen tool either, now it's pretty much exclusive to any selection I make. Oh and save your breath asking anything of Marco. If he was going to give out advice he'd have put up some tuts by now. Razz And don't listen to Reiny neither, that will only lead to trouble and hangovers. Razz Laughing Good luck to you and your wife Tad. You'll do just fine. Very Happy

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.
gravyboat

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:26 am   Reply with quote         

PS Stroke all the "toots" that you want. Laughing

The Closer you get to Canada the more things there are that wanna eat your horse.
dewdew

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 pm   Reply with quote         

A Mentor....at PSC Question Laughing Ooh dear...you are in trouble. Wink

Stop trying.....just put down that pen tool and run....and i mean RUN. Like your ass is on fire and water is that way. :smudgetool:

Don't let PS take over your life. It's like being in the grip of a BLACK HOLE...just slowly being pulled into the bowels of Photoshop hell. Twisted Evil

Confused .....well, i wish someone would have told me this when i first started. Never let it be said, I never tried. Cool Razz

The Pen tool and layer mask. Just move the pen tool slow... Laughing You'll have that sum'beach in a knot if you are not careful. Reminds me of a BAIT CASTER REEL...if you don't keep your thumb on the line-spool it will backlash.
Embarassed

Eve
Site Moderator

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:52 pm   Reply with quote         

Paths and masks....a fun and cool way to learn them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNfBF2xvhaE

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:55 pm   Reply with quote         

pen tool is cool, but only show offs use it, no need.
use the eraser tool with a soft edge 10 X better

Hallcross Toots
splodge

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:57 pm   Reply with quote         

tormentor we do

Hallcross Toots
bigbuck

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:48 pm   Reply with quote         

Don't know how keen I am to help someone with an avi like this... Laughing Laughing

Maybe if it said "I love my Beer" you'd get more help! Wink

Anyway, It's really great that your enjoying the place and wanting to improve your PS skills. You WILL learn heaps here simply by participating, listening to advice, studying other chops and the feedback they receive.

Basics are really important. Being able to cut/paste with neat edges, colour match and adjust lighting and shadows. The idea is for it NOT to look like it's been cut from another picture.

I've just had a look at your golfer chop and it's really quite good. But a couple of little points you might like to consider. I did a very quick and dirty touch up as you'll see in the ani below.

First I just adjusted the colour/lighting a little as I thought it seemed a little green.

This might be overemphasised a bit, but if you look at 1, his boots probably needed a bit of shadow on the lower part also to 'ground' him a bit better. So when cutting/pasting, look at both the object AND where it is sitting when applying shadow.

Cut objects often bring a bit of their original background colour with them too. If you look at 2, you'll see a greenish tinged edge, because he was cut from a green background. Sometimes you need to adjust the saturation on these because they can stand out awfully depending on the new background colour.

Try to avoid unnatural sharp cut edges like 3.

Lastly, have a good look at the lighting on the new background. If you look at the shadows in the bunkers on the left, it appears the light is coming from the right at sort of 2 o'clockish. Now look at the golfer, and he appears to be lit from the left. So it may have been better to either flip him or the background so as not to get a mismatch.

It may well be worth your grabbing 'advantage' for a three month period to try it out. It's always easier working on higher res source images....and there's usually someone in the 'advantage chat' room to ask if you need advice.

Anyway, enough blabbing from me. Hope this helps a little.

Tad

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 pm   Reply with quote         

TYVVVM. I will be getting the advantage next week.

Dont worry, this wont consume me as stated before, but why not do the best you can and learn?. Thats all I want to do is learn.

And buck, sorry.....I DO love my wife....had to put that as my avi....(I hate sleeping on the couch)

Smile

Ty all again for the responses. I am mulling over bucks post more and more to gather what was said.

Smile

dewdew

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:54 am   Reply with quote         

splodge wrote:
pen tool is cool, but only show offs use it, no need.
use the eraser tool with a soft edge 10 X better

I use to think this was Splodge being sarcastic ....but when it comes to chopping photos. It's true wiz'dom. If you do a lot of (CTRL+ALT+Zing) Razz like me, It works with a mask and a soft brush too.

Still learn the pen tool because this sucks for inking line art. Laughing

Eves link... Laughing I strapped on my stupid just like Donnie said. Mr. Green

Wifey

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:10 pm   Reply with quote         

Tad wrote:

And buck, sorry.....I DO love my wife....had to put that as my avi....(I hate sleeping on the couch)

rofl Hug I love you Tad!

www.pwpclan.org
gravyboat

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:21 pm   Reply with quote         

Get a room. Razz Laughing

dewdew

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 pm   Reply with quote         

gravyboat wrote:
Get a room. Razz Laughing
Laughing

or a cam. Laughing
Shocked What....i meant for the video portion of Photoshop. Twisted Evil

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - New Users - Mentor - Reply to topic