So after reading your and other members replys I come to one conclusion... that the full members are scared of us newbies and have so limited the aspects of our entries that we cant compete with them on a one to one level... I have adjusted every parameter of that stupid gif and can not come anywhere close to the size / pixel ratio. If you must, simply give me a 2 vote handicap and at least let me compete! (Just kidding really, albeit a little frustrated after 5 hours of unsuccessful attempts.) Anyway, at least I hammered the process of making gifs into my thick head... which can be a little painful at times.
The non-advantage file size restrictions don't matter too much for JPG images, but are, indeed, pretty harsh on GIFs. You can choose from any of the following options
- reduce the number of frames
- mute the colors, reduce the number of colors in the final GIF color table
- use the lossy slider, lower quality, but lower file size
- try a different dither, pattern dither may reduce the file size
- the postage stamp approach: make the image smaller, add a white frame around to comply with the minimum requirements