Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - "How to Create GIF Animations" Tutorial Help - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:08 am   Reply with quote         

how to use the looop pls help

janetdog

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:47 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I save each composed frame as a separate JPEG image at the native source size of 1280x960. I use a simple, but effective naming convention: 01.jpg, 02.jpg, etc. Once all frames have been saved, I import them into my animation software. Finally, I resize the animation and set the duration of each frame.

I used to animate with this method. I always had problems with file size for the end product.

Learning the photoshop/image ready method is so much better. It didn't really make sense at first because you don't actually have to make numerous jpeg frames. It is also far superior because the layers can be adjusted frame by frame without completely reworking individual jpegs when things just don't look right.

http://photoshopcontest.com/view-entry/139535/science-project-gif.html

That is a backround with three layers. The layers were manipulated with image ready on the fly.

Our own Granulated made a sweet gif a few years back featuring wood grain wheels and gears that moved like a well oiled machine on a white backround. The file size was micro. Maybe he would post it for us?

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:33 pm   Reply with quote         

I started with earlier version of PS and used imageready, but CS3 isn't bad when you get used to it. Put frames together in PS and there select forever under the clip so it will run continuous. Then go to save for web, and select gif and resize image (behind the color table on the right of screen) down to the size needed for PSC and see how it does on the memory K use.(Remember all cells of the clip do resize)

Tawiskaro

Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:02 pm   Reply with quote         

janetdog wrote:
Learning the photoshop/image ready method is so much better. It didn't really make sense at first because you don't actually have to make numerous jpeg frames. It is also far superior because the layers can be adjusted frame by frame without completely reworking individual jpegs when things just don't look right.

jd, did you read the entire tutorial? At the outset I stated I do not use PS or Image Ready. I use Paint Shop Pro. My version doesn't have anything that corresponds to Image Ready. I'm sure others are in the same boat. Nowhere did I say one should rework the jpegs. If something is wrong with a frame, the repair should be done in the working file. A replacement jpeg would then be created. If you think about it the process is the same: you create a layered working file and generate frames. The method I describe temporarily saves the frames as individual files; the method you describe saves them in RAM. They end up in the same place--a GIF. Neither method has an advantage concerning the file size constraints of the finished GIF.

This GIF is a bit more complicated than the one described in the tutorial:

The file is 454k in size and contains 18 frames. The working file is composed of 36 layers. I made many changes to the working file before I was happy with the result. I made no changes to any of the intermediary jpegs. With each change I created new jpegs. If I had had PS and Image Ready at my disposal I would have created the same GIF without the intermediary jpegs, but the working file process would have involved the same manipulation of layers, and the output would have been the same.

May I suggest you write a tutorial on using PS and Image Ready to create animated GIF's? I'd like to see how that method works. I'm sure many others would, as well. The GIF you've linked above would be perfect for demonstration purposes. I'm sure Procyon would like to see another tutorial in the library.

Cheers.

--twk

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:23 pm   Reply with quote         

Ehhh i rather CS4 it jus has a more sleek look to it ya know

TheBullShark

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 am   Reply with quote         

Please Help!
10 Tutorials... 3 hours trying... and no luck!

Every tutorial stops short of saving the gif file and how to do this. I have made a simple 4 frame animation... first I created the layers in Photoshop, then converted to ImageReady and made the animation... Very easy... Now What... how do I save this in a file format that I can upload as an entry into PhotoshopContest. I can only save as a .psd file in IR. My PS seams to have no animation abilities. When I then save the file as a gif in PS, it saves a a single static image?!? I have a Mac and PS Version 8 (Educational Edition).

I am relatively new to the PS thing but fairly literate and functional, so hopefully I understand any advice given.

Thanks in advance.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

TheBullShark wrote:
Please Help!
10 Tutorials... 3 hours trying... and no luck!

Every tutorial stops short of saving the gif file and how to do this. I have made a simple 4 frame animation... first I created the layers in Photoshop, then converted to ImageReady and made the animation... Very easy... Now What... how do I save this in a file format that I can upload as an entry into PhotoshopContest. I can only save as a .psd file in IR. My PS seams to have no animation abilities. When I then save the file as a gif in PS, it saves a a single static image?!? I have a Mac and PS Version 8 (Educational Edition).

I am relatively new to the PS thing but fairly literate and functional, so hopefully I understand any advice given.

Thanks in advance.
In IR, use the Optimize panel (Window - Optimize), start with he presets on top, select GIF format, tweak the settings until the image size fits the PSC restrictions, the optimized preview panel of the image shows the estimated file size at the bottom.

After tweaking, use the "Save Optimized As..." command

Martrex

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm   Reply with quote         

remember the size limit 550x450 and 512k in gif format. I think that is PS CS. Which I haven't used in quite a while they made serious changes with PS CS3.

But I will try to remember you need to change the save as to Gif. Highlite all frames and size down the one showing to the 550x450 and the others will follow in size, look at the k size if under 512k for a member your done for non member it is a lot smaller like 250k or something. So if bigger then that play with the Lossy value which will effect quality, and try using lower color level rather then the 256. Hope that helps Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

arcaico

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:39 pm   Reply with quote         

friggin gifs... hate them...

nah, just kidding...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

TheBullShark

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:25 pm   Reply with quote         

So after reading your and other members replys I come to one conclusion... that the full members are scared of us newbies and have so limited the aspects of our entries that we cant compete with them on a one to one level... I have adjusted every parameter of that stupid gif and can not come anywhere close to the size / pixel ratio. If you must, simply give me a 2 vote handicap and at least let me compete! (Just kidding really, albeit a little frustrated after 5 hours of unsuccessful attempts.) Anyway, at least I hammered the process of making gifs into my thick head... which can be a little painful at times.

Martrex

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:39 pm   Reply with quote         

You could post the bigger gif at photobucket where size doesn't matter or something like it and post the address under you stationary entry. Very Happy Very Happy

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:56 pm   Reply with quote         

TheBullShark wrote:
So after reading your and other members replys I come to one conclusion... that the full members are scared of us newbies and have so limited the aspects of our entries that we cant compete with them on a one to one level... I have adjusted every parameter of that stupid gif and can not come anywhere close to the size / pixel ratio. If you must, simply give me a 2 vote handicap and at least let me compete! (Just kidding really, albeit a little frustrated after 5 hours of unsuccessful attempts.) Anyway, at least I hammered the process of making gifs into my thick head... which can be a little painful at times.
The non-advantage file size restrictions don't matter too much for JPG images, but are, indeed, pretty harsh on GIFs. You can choose from any of the following options
- reduce the number of frames
- mute the colors, reduce the number of colors in the final GIF color table
- use the lossy slider, lower quality, but lower file size
- try a different dither, pattern dither may reduce the file size
- the postage stamp approach: make the image smaller, add a white frame around to comply with the minimum requirements

TheBullShark

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:37 pm   Reply with quote         

All Hail Lord Vokaris

There is a reason you are the site moderator... What ever the reason is, its a good one!

The postage stamp approach I had not tried and it worked like a charm... after about 10 more tweaks...! Arrrrrrgh! Gif Fun!

Anyway my efforts are posted in the Gnarled Oak contest... Thanks for the advice.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Tutorials - "How to Create GIF Animations" Tutorial Help - Reply to topic