Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Animation contest - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Good idea, or not?

Yeah, good idea.

75%

75%

[ 21 ]

No, not a good idea...

25%

25%

[ 7 ]

Total Votes: 28

blue_lurker

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:24 am   Reply with quote         

Splodge and I tried years ago to get animated Monday going once a month but the truth is the amount of people that were prepared to do an all animate gift entry were few in number and it was obvious to us that the contest would not have a great following, and a lot of the people that liked sweetgiffy magic were not prepared to attempt doing a giffy.

Things may have changed since then but IMO, and I love sweetgiffy magic, the amount of people that would participate would be few...giffy still win normal contests and I would love to see more people attempt doing gifs, but an all giffy contest who knows.

BTY a new contest idea is now in production and being sorted for after the holidays...so stay tuned.

glennhanna

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:30 am   Reply with quote         

Eve wrote:

Glenn's talking about the Team Challenge. Here's the link to this year's... http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=12489

That's the official Team Challenge. That's a 4 week event. What I'd like to see is a smaller version of this done monthly. Instead of a 4 week event it would just be a single contest event. It'd basically be controlled by a forum thread as far as signing up and running it.

For example, Let's say I was the person in charge of running it each month. I'd start a chop that would say, "January Duos". I'd pick Thursday January 28th contest to be the day of the Duo's competition (picked a Thursday contest because it's anonymous). I'd ask for donations from the community, perhaps two 3month advantage memberships as prizes. People would sign up, pair up, and work on their January 28th entry at their convenience. When the contest is over, PSC would have their regular winner announced as usual, but in the forum thread, I'd tally up the team votes and name the winning duo, and award the prizes.

I'm debating if I should have a PSC duo score limit of 100, and let people pick their own partner... or take the pool of entrants, rank them from top to bottom and 'seed' people together. Let's say I have 12 people that sign up, 1 being highest PSC score, 12 being the lowest. 1 would pair up with 12, 2 would pair up with 11, 3 would pair up with 10, 6 would pair up with 7.

Just an idea.

I'm also trying to come up with an idea for another type of 2-person team activity which would involve a beginner working with a more seasoned artist. The beginner would do a chop, and the veteran would take that chop and take it to a higher level of appeal, sharing his/her ideas, tricks, and tips with the novice.
Perhaps we could have some kind of contest where one novice's entry is picked, and 2 or more advanced artists would compete against each other for improvements made on the beginner's chop, kinda like an H2H Chopper Dome with the source being someone else's chop.
H2H Chopper Dome: http://tinyurl.com/ydbse43

blue_lurker

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:04 am   Reply with quote         

Quote:
I'm also trying to come up with an idea for another type of 2-person team activity which would involve a beginner working with a more seasoned artist.

Sounds like Gumbies to me?

Man that had potential

soulrock

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:13 am   Reply with quote         

Cool!

I think it's a way to increase my level of learning! I'm excited to learn making GIF! yeahhhhhhhhh! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

All your ideas are ok! Bring it on!

rockyjob

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:13 am   Reply with quote         

I suppose that's true Eve, not fair to everyone that wants to participate, but nonetheless, maybe we could give out prizes for the highest ranked non advantage GIF makers. And, I'm not really absolutely sure about if we should have it more than once month. Remember TCM (theme contest entries)?
Later on no one wanted to participate any more and it eventually died. If we DID have this animation contest we wouldn't want for it to die out... but who knows.
Just some ideas.

annajon

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:53 am   Reply with quote         

YerPalAl wrote:
I think its not only a good idea, it could be expended upon, maybe run a special contest a week and alternate between an "Animation Contest", a "Speed Chop", an "All Source" contest, and any other kind of special event that we can think of, maybe "Antique Photo Restoration", "Cut and Pate Only" (to offset the "Source Only" event), and anything else we think of.

Come on PSC community, put your thinking caps on.

YES to all the mentioned ideas

annajon

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 am   Reply with quote         

Could you not make the .gif contest a challenge with rules, like use only the source and no more then 8 frames allowed?

Or is that too simple?

blue_lurker

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:12 am   Reply with quote         

An old link to a thread about sweet giffy magic
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
worth a read to see how much things stay the same and things change.and here is one about the other idea team thingy.
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3417&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

nancers
Former Site Moderator

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:55 am   Reply with quote         

I think that any "new" idea for side contests is wonderful, it makes the site grow. As I said in the other thread, the H2H, Scavenger Hunts, and Reunion contests were born in forum.

I agree with Eve. Either create a forum thread and host your own GIF's, or just pick a daily contest here for everyone that wants to post a GIF to do it then. Even if GIF doesn't win the daily contest, the highest voted GIF could be the champion.

Why not try out a GIF contest with things the way they exist FIRST. See how many participate...see if the file size limitations are an issue, etc. Just pick a date and go for it.

If it's something that goes over well and a lot of people participated and they want it to "grow" then start letting the contest evolve, much like the H2H, Scavenger Hunts and Reunion contests did. That's when I would suggest that the site owner would need to be involved.

If you decide to have one, let one of the mods know, we certainly can make it a news item once the date and "rules" are set.

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:12 pm   Reply with quote         

nancers wrote:
I think that any "new" idea for side contests is wonderful, it makes the site grow. As I said in the other thread, the H2H, Scavenger Hunts, and Reunion contests were born in forum.

I agree with Eve. Either create a forum thread and host your own GIF's, or just pick a daily contest here for everyone that wants to post a GIF to do it then. Even if GIF doesn't win the daily contest, the highest voted GIF could be the champion.

Why not try out a GIF contest with things the way they exist FIRST. See how many participate...see if the file size limitations are an issue, etc. Just pick a date and go for it.

If it's something that goes over well and a lot of people participated and they want it to "grow" then start letting the contest evolve, much like the H2H, Scavenger Hunts and Reunion contests did. That's when I would suggest that the site owner would need to be involved.

If you decide to have one, let one of the mods know, we certainly can make it a news item once the date and "rules" are set.
BRILLIANT!

dunno

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:22 pm   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
...Gumbies...

It was me being pissed back then.

I'd be again. Leave it where it is.

PS: Rocky, i like the idea of regular GIF contests. The proposal from Eve, to start it off in your own thread with your own rules, makes sense to me. You could see how it goes and would not have to worry about the "website construction". Good luck!

Martrex

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Well there are a lot of pros and cons here on the Gif subject. But look back and see that things do change. Back when Gifs were considered slime of the earth (not quoting anyone just my personal input.) But now more people new and old timers are catching on and more gif entries, and more are winning. So why not unlock and pry the rule books open and add a new chapter. With a separate contest just for Gif how ever often you choose. But please do consider it. Because isn't that how things evolve and stay interesting and avoid becoming the same stagnant ceptic thing. That people try but too soon get bored and move on to another site that does stay more current.
Now there are those who say Gifs do well but are far too easy! Well guess what they are not easy and have restrictions in size and K that Jpg entries don't.
So that is my spiel from atop the Soap box, now I am stepping down and kicking the SB to the side. And now heading back into my cave. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

the burning couch

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:41 pm   Reply with quote         

*!*

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:01 am   Reply with quote         

If you guys want help in getting a sweet giffy magic contest going Im all for it I love the giffy.

annajon

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:16 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
If you guys want help in getting a sweet giffy magic contest going Im all for it I love the giffy.

I used to have the Friday contest, -LTZ TCM - that had all the members sign up in a forum, and then a date was chosen from the calendar, where everybody could enter their special contest entry.

And that went well for a long time, so it is quite doable using this forum plus sign up for the contest thing.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - Animation contest - Reply to topic