Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - GIF CONTEST - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

JORDAN792

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:14 am   Reply with quote         

i think if we host it in a thread then we make a thread for just entries and voting. Every participant gets 3 votes then they post them in the thread and i could just write all the names in excel and tally them as we go. The only difference is the results will not be instant like a daily comp.

ReinMan

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:18 am   Reply with quote         

JORDAN792 wrote:
rein i like your thinking. The only issue i see is gifs are hard to make under the allowed 512k and I think the lack of restriction is what made some want to join in the forums. I dont know how it all works but couldn't we change the allowed file size for a certain contest and then change it right back for regular? Or, is that just stupid? I wouldn't want to make anyones job harder unless they volunteer. Then we make it a living hell! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing we are ALL volunteers here, Mr. Jordan! Wink

I'll check into the mechanics and possibilities of File Size CHOKE an see if it can be altered or not without rebuilding this site from the ground up. It's the weekend, so it might take me a while to get some answers - hang tuff everyone. Maybe you can talk about BlueLurker's goatee or somefin while I'm doing my detective work!? Cool

abraham wrote:

Since we all know that it is a giffy contest then non giffy may enter but might not get many votes Laughing

FYI to everyone new here: we tried this kind of thing (the mixing it in with the "normal" contest) a couple years back with a great idea called the "coolaboration contest" where we paired up with another member to co-create a chop - CafN8D & I won that one with some BEAVERS Shocked - and I gotta tell you it got ugly. "regular" members got all f*cked up at our contest being in their contest (you got peanut butter in my chocolate! No, YOU got chocolate in my peanut butter!). It was REALLY surprising how many bad feelings it caused. And, given the sites current "low tolerance mode" that many members seem to find themselves in... I'm starting to rethink this "mix it up with the speed chop" idea... Huh..

BUT... I'll go check on that Size Restriction info anyway and let yas all know.

reindeer

blurker wrote:

...control issues

Yup- the less there is RANDOM POTENTIAL the better, mucho agreeo! Very Happy

blue_lurker

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 am   Reply with quote         

Damn Splodge created a web site for the scavhunts and it would be able to show all entries and then just a comment click could be the vote method...will see if I still have the template for how he did it

abraham

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 am   Reply with quote         

JORDAN792 wrote:
yes we are in hopes of making this a regular contest but we were told we should try it out in the forums first to see if we get participants.... I do agree with you though, abe
If this is a try out then why be worried about size restriction when infact if it becomes a regular contest the size restriction will be applied again, but if we can do something about the size limit then it's much better. Is my grammar correct? Laughing Laughing

ReinMan

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am   Reply with quote         

I've sent out a call to see what the "hard facts" are on how this site manages FILE SIZE on contests. It might be hard wired into the package that PROC uses for PSC, in which case we are Fubar'd. But I'm asking if there is anyway, for just one day, we can have the normal contests up the file size limit to 1meg. Hopefully I'll have an answer within 23 hours or so. Smile

blurker wrote:

Splodge Template thingy

If you can figure out a way to take this off site then the sky's the limit (well, there is ALWAYS a limit, even with the sky! Razz).

blue_lurker

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:36 am   Reply with quote         

Been thinking about seeking some coders here to try and set up an off site place to run forum contests from...would make some of the size problems obsolete and also make for some better control with out putting mpre load on the mods but I did not want Prco to think it was like in competition of PSC...if ya know what I mean

ReinMan

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 am   Reply with quote         

OKAY - I've got the news that, technically, size CAN be adjusted for a specific day here. So that opens the possibility of having this happen in a DAILY CONTEST.

NOTE: We need PROC to AUTHORIZE THIS. So start sending him PM's people! Twisted Evil

One thing that will lessen other non-GiffyLoving members upset here is that we pick a date a couple weeks away so this doesn't SURPRISE them. We could also post a NEWS item about it. Fair warning, and all that stuff.

Okay - I'll sit back now and see what you folks wanna do about it. Blue's idea of Off-Site site to do this is good too.

JORDAN792

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:
Been thinking about seeking some coders here to try and set up an off site place to run forum contests from...would make some of the size problems obsolete and also make for some better control with out putting mpre load on the mods but I did not want Prco to think it was like in competition of PSC...if ya know what I mean

This is a great idea... I do know what you mean but I think proc would agree this is the best option before we go re-writing code for this site.

JORDAN792

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:
OKAY - I've got the news that, technically, size CAN be adjusted for a specific day here. So that opens the possibility of having this happen in a DAILY CONTEST.

NOTE: We need PROC to AUTHORIZE THIS. So start sending him PM's people! Twisted Evil

One thing that will lessen other non-GiffyLoving members upset here is that we pick a date a couple weeks away so this doesn't SURPRISE them. We could also post a NEWS item about it. Fair warning, and all that stuff.

Okay - I'll sit back now and see what you folks wanna do about it. Blue's idea of Off-Site site to do this is good too.

I dont mean to take a mile after being given an inch but couldn't they just block every format other than the .gif format? just for that day so no one can upload static chops?

ReinMan

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:20 am   Reply with quote         

JORDAN792 wrote:
ReinMan wrote:

I dont mean to take a mile after being given an inch but couldn't they just block every format other than the .gif format? just for that day so no one can upload static chops?

Laughing You wouldn't be asking for a MILE, Jordan, you'd be asking for YOUR LIFE! Twisted Evil

But - you go ahead and ask all the other members here is they are okay with that. Lemme know how it goes for you! Wink

JORDAN792

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:23 am   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:

Laughing You wouldn't be asking for a MILE, Jordan, you'd be asking for YOUR LIFE! Twisted Evil

But - you go ahead and ask all the other members here is they are okay with that. Lemme know how it goes for you! Wink

ha ha ha Can i just escape this with my life Surprised

abraham

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 am   Reply with quote         

Interesting discussion, it's shaping up for the better.

ReinMan

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:43 am   Reply with quote         

JORDAN792 wrote:
ReinMan wrote:

ha ha ha Can i just escape this with my life Surprised

That's the problem with LIFE, Jordan. No one gets out alive! Wink

Keep that list at the top of this thread up to date, mein dude, cuz the bigger it gets the more "weight" we'll have to swing a deal with Fearless Leader PROCman. Very Happy

OKAY - GOTTA GO GET INVOLVED IN MY OTHER LIFE NOW - Keeps me posted y'all! reindeer

rockyjob

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:38 pm   Reply with quote         

ReinMan wrote:

Good job Rein and Mods, we want this the most planned possible Smile
I think others adding Jpeg images would be alright, but they would have no right to complain about how they got less votes, since we would have posted a warning, saying that specific date would be most likely having more animations. But again, it would cause trouble. Complicated as it is, like abe said, I think this is going in a good direction. We'll figure something out Smile

Sanctuary

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:26 pm   Reply with quote         

i hope before chinese new year we can enjoy da gif c0ntest.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Fun and Games - GIF CONTEST - Reply to topic