Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - My website: Ultraviolet Designs! Please Look!!! - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

supak0ma

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:47 am   Reply with quote         

MonkeeDrummer wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
Scwid has a LOT of good points (as do a lot of others and I haven't read all the posts yet).

The big issue I have is the huge block-y text. It just ends up looking amateurish and not elegant. When I think of "Ultra Violet" I immediately think of techie and the movie (crappy movie but amazing visuals). Maybe you could draw some design inspiration from there?

Completely agree Tofu. I wanted to use a "high-tech" font, but with the font limitations on the internet it makes it hard. If I use a cool font it won't show up on a good 90% of computers at least. There's numerous ways to "replace" all the words with pictures of words but then it takes too long to load, which is obviously not a problem I need.

my friend you're on the wrong train...you think a flashy font will make your website better? the best out there all use the standard fonts, arial kicks ass if used with notion, georgia can be so elegant and retro, combinations of these also work very well. personally my favorite is arial or sans serif in general, with those few standard fonts you can convey any type of message, it's up to you to use them wisely.

MonkeeDrummer

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Good point... I went and looked at the websites you posted and they are very good! (besides w3, I've used that for years.) I'm getting some good ideas, I just need to turn those into the real thing haha and like I told Rein, I won't use impact again!
and the comment about paying a pro is kind of counter productive don't you think? I'm working to design my own site, not have somebody make one for me...

supak0ma

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:29 pm   Reply with quote         

yes of course it would be better for you to design it, didn't mean to offend, just as an extreme measure and if you're loaded Smile

ReinMan

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:34 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
yes of course it would be better for you to design it, didn't mean to offend, just as an extreme measure and if you're loaded Smile

*psst* Supak? he's TOO YOUNG to be loaded. Yet. Wink

He's a young-un and he's learning. Just this thread is worth about a month in school. Very Happy

delia

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 pm   Reply with quote         

my 2 cents on all of this:

http://www.ultraviolet-designs.com/pstuff.html
This page should say "are" not "is".

Also, your work page should not say things like "we haven't done any commercial work yet" Make some stuff up, say it is for a company being created but not in operation yet....

Better yet, just make it a gallery of your work and don't say if it is personal, for friends, for fun, or commercial, just "these are samples of my work"

Smile Good luck with all that other technical stuff guys!

http://www.track4va.com
seelcraft

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:34 pm   Reply with quote         

The type is too tight: either make it less bold or with looser kerning. Especially the white!
Smile

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:19 pm   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
MonkeeDrummer wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:
Scwid has a LOT of good points (as do a lot of others and I haven't read all the posts yet).

The big issue I have is the huge block-y text. It just ends up looking amateurish and not elegant. When I think of "Ultra Violet" I immediately think of techie and the movie (crappy movie but amazing visuals). Maybe you could draw some design inspiration from there?

Completely agree Tofu. I wanted to use a "high-tech" font, but with the font limitations on the internet it makes it hard. If I use a cool font it won't show up on a good 90% of computers at least. There's numerous ways to "replace" all the words with pictures of words but then it takes too long to load, which is obviously not a problem I need.

my friend you're on the wrong train...you think a flashy font will make your website better? the best out there all use the standard fonts, arial kicks ass if used with notion, georgia can be so elegant and retro, combinations of these also work very well. personally my favorite is arial or sans serif in general, with those few standard fonts you can convey any type of message, it's up to you to use them wisely.

Yes! Don't misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting you do any kludgy font substitutions. I'm merely saying that the layout's look and feel is currently not elegant.

Listen to the wise Supa. Cool

ReinMan wrote:
He's a young-un and he's learning. Just this thread is worth about a month in school. Very Happy

I completely agree. I'm loving this thread.

(mainly because I just got my own domain name finally and am working my own site too. shhhh! don't tell anyone 'cuz it's not ready yet.)

MonkeeDrummer

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Thank you for all the tips everyone! As I have said, I will be redesigning the site soon but it will remain the current way for awhile. So just in case any of you go back for some reason and say "Is he stupid? Why hasn't he fixed it?" that's why.

And Rein, this thread is worth a whole lot more than just a month in the stupid web classes I have to deal with... More like a semester of it. The class is sooooo slow. I've basically taught myself everything. Laughing

MonkeeDrummer

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:48 am   Reply with quote         

So is the big, colored first word a good idea? I plan on making it smaller with a better font but the idea is ok, right?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - My website: Ultraviolet Designs! Please Look!!! - Reply to topic