Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC Members from PSC's Hey Day - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Raptor

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:16 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:
It's pretty simple. The site gained a little revenue.
Without that revenue the site would almost certainly, nahhh, certainly would not exist today.
None of us like 'all' the changes over the years, but without
those changes PSC wouldn't be here.
I would choose that it be here even though I don't really participate anymore. (note: I don't participate on account of a bunch of frustrations that all stem from one cause....aliases)

And when did you join PSC, Scionshade? Dec 26th, 2003.
Which basically lumping you into the 2004 generation of new PSC members at the time. Hence my argument of nobody caring about aliases until the "newbies" of 2004 arrived on the scene.

I do agree with your viewpoint of revenue playing a role in the change in dynamics of the site. It definitely became more commercialized in the following years.

Synthvet

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 am   Reply with quote         

Raptor wrote:
ScionShade wrote:
Without that revenue the site would almost certainly, nahhh, certainly would not exist today.
I would choose that it be here even though I don't really participate anymore. (note: I don't participate on account of a bunch of frustrations that all stem from one cause....aliases)

And when did you join PSC, Scionshade? Dec 2003.
Which basically lumping you into the 2004 generation of new PSC members at the time. Hence my argument of nobody caring about aliases until the "newbies" of 2004 arrived on the scene.

well, put me in that same group as Scion....(Jan, 2004).......but my total distrust/dislike of aliases has only really been in the last couple of years.........

ScionShade

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 am   Reply with quote         

Whatever Chopper.

Procyon
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 am   Reply with quote         

Everybody goes through periods. I don't think anybody will remain a member on a website for decades. And that's fine.
When I was younger I was into video games so I joined specific sites, later computer hardware sites, now I enjoy PSC and ww2 related sites.

Similarly we go through times which we don't forget (high school, university, work places). Your first year in high school you're the new kid and people don't care about you. Then when you add to the 'history' you become part of it, but shortly after you leave you are forgotten. Here on the PSC we don't forget so easily because anybody can stay as long as they wish and of course we can trace back what was written/chopped by anybody at any point of time.

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 am   Reply with quote         

ScionShade wrote:

Oh dear god forgive me...but...shit...I agree with the Shade man...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Wink

Raptor

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 am   Reply with quote         

Procyon wrote:

Similarly we go through times which we don't forget (high school, university, work places). Your first year in high school you're the new kid and people don't care about you. Then when you add to the 'history' you become part of it, but shortly after you leave you are forgotten. Here on the PSC we don't forget so easily because anybody can stay as long as they wish and of course we can trace back what was written/chopped by anybody at any point of time.

Well said...and like High School, there are those that were in your same grade as yourself when you started your first year (eg. joined PSC around the same time). So you feel a closer bond to them and it's nice to see them around. I wish they stopped by more often, but I'm sure they all moved on, as you point out, to other sites.

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:46 am   Reply with quote         

Raptor wrote:

There wasn't a single complaint about aliases back then until the new generation of members in 2004 (newbies at the time) came on the scene and began to take the site way too seriously and felt outrage at the idea of there being more than one username for a person.

Well thats not true I may have joined here back in 2004 but I lurked here for over a year, I was sent here by the few PSCers that hung out at Fark, to come and play. I was never at there standard so lurked hence the name. I do remember a lot of threads about aliases from Rondo, and claude made use of many votes from aliases as did a few others, and lets remember the chicken aliases and discussions with himself, yeah some were fun but a lot were hurtful and why some members left. On a side not a lot of those people you mentioned in your opening joined after 2004. Just saying thats all.

Raptor wrote:

Times have changed though, the site is now almost 9 years old, and perhaps aliases have gone from a joke to one that can be seen as more destructive. However, the only destructive alias I can think of would be one that posts spam. Other than that, I don't see the harm in them.

Tell that to the people that have been attacked, ridiculed, slandered and in some cases lost contest due to an aliases Im sure they will see a different side than yours. I know one guy that used an alias to have another guy banned. It was even used to cause pain between some good friendships here due to jealousy. Yep they can be fun and those you mentioned made it very public at the time...but a lot did not and they were used more to stir up the shit than do the site any good.

Raptor

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:53 am   Reply with quote         

blue_lurker wrote:

Well thats not true I may have joined here back in 2004 but I lurked here for over a year, I was sent here by the few PSCers that hung out at Fark, to come and play. I was never at there standard so lurked hence the name. I do remember a lot of threads about aliases from Rondo, and claude made use of many votes from aliases as did a few others, and lets remember the chicken aliases and discussions with himself, yeah some were fun but a lot were hurtful and why some members left. On a side not a lot of those people you mentioned in your opening joined after 2004. Just saying thats all.

Tell that to the people that have been attacked, ridiculed, slandered and in some cases lost contest due to an aliases Im sure they will see a different side than yours. I know one guy that used an alias to have another guy banned. It was even used to cause pain between some good friendships here due to jealousy. Yep they can be fun and those you mentioned made it very public at the time...but a lot did not and they were used more to stir up the shit than do the site any good.

You make a good point Blurker. There were instances of cheating back then. Very rarely. I remember Kitty got banned and quit because jmh found out that she voted for herself. It might be that a lot I don't know of has happened since 2004 in respect to aliases. So, perhaps I am naive in respect to the harmfulness of aliases. For me, my memory of them was that they were always fun, harmless, and just a way to reset one's VPP to try and get a better score in the contests.

BTW...who from the list was from 2004? Just curious.

blue_lurker

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:58 am   Reply with quote         

Raptor wrote:

BTW...who from the list was from 2004? Just curious.

My bad on the list, I was looking at Less than Zeros list. Embarassed

SCWIDVICIOUS

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:32 am   Reply with quote         

as one of the newer guys here, a webmaster, involved with forums for over 10 years usually in administration, i can tell ya it is a life cycle. people change, things change, intrests change..

some people will quietly leave because of this and that, usually a bunch of small mundane, but important to them for one reason or another.

Its not just PSC... hell look around at the world, 10 years ago, you can smoke anywhere, now you cant smoke anywhere.

You could play your radio as loud as you damn well pleased in your car but you cant now.. might interrupt someones phone call.. (though i still play mine loud, 1300 watts worth of it)

The world of the offended has played a role in the demise of the PSC you know, but a newer one has emerged..

damn right I strive to top my last work and anyone I can, that helps me to improve, but Im also here to blather on the forum and in the chat room. I welcome comments, and will comment when I feel i can help someone.

Me, I offered to help splodges wife host his old site because i know it is part of this sites history.
I offered a lot of things to a lot of people, thats just how I am.

Advantage.. 2 years here.. 30 days, gives too much to choose from, a week or 2 i think is plenty. I don't feel thats a reason to leave.. never know, maybe member (demands) requests will have it moved back to a lesser time in time. you either have to go with it or not. People will do what they do regardless.

Im just being honest..
I like it here, i like the peeps, the info, the competition when i chop, and the art when I dont.

Come on MrRaptor.. if your not an alies, then I am more active than you are. I have a voice and opinion, not afraid to show it either. I have 500+ posts and 20 something chops, along with a chopperdome chop, interaction on the forums, and people know me. So come join in, bring your fun, we look forward to it.

Your personality can bring the fun, so bring it on already Very Happy

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:55 am   Reply with quote         

SCWIDVICIOUS wrote:

Come on MrRaptor.. if your not an alies, then I am more active than you are. I have a voice and opinion, not afraid to show it either. I have 500+ posts and 20 something chops, along with a chopperdome chop, interaction on the forums, and people know me. So come join in, bring your fun, we look forward to it.
Your personality can bring the fun, so bring it on already Very Happy

Actually, for the record, I never said I was not an alias. As I've pointed out many times before in the past, if I wanted to hide as an alias, I could throw up a proxy IP address in less than 5 seconds. The reason I'm using an alias is because I found this old alias while digging through archived PSC files on my computer and I felt like putting it on like an old suit. If certain members have a problem with it, then I suppose that's a conflict in their mind that they will need to learn to deal with.

Regarding your pep speech about joining in. I've joined in at PSC plenty and I've contributed (with zero compensation) far more than a lot of these same members that attack me and give me a hard time for aliases.

I love this site. Even today, I think it's still awesome.

The reason I started this thread was not to be a downer on the site, but rather to gain some clarity as to where the old timers disappeared to.

I guess it looks like the consensus is the same as what you say, as well as Nancers and Proc. That the life-cycle of the site sort of filters them out over time.

L@rue, Nancers, the202, Reinman, xovlov, and very small select few others are the only ones left. It's always a pleasure to see these usernames from the old gang still on the screen after all these years. It always brings me a sense of nostalgia from the old days whenever I pop in for a visit.

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 am   Reply with quote         

Not sure who this Raptor guy is, but man, anyone with as many aliases as this guy has...jeez, what an "ego".

supak0ma

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:58 am   Reply with quote         

Chopper wrote:
Not sure who this Raptor guy is, but man, anyone with as many aliases as this guy has...jeez, what an "ego".

Laughing Laughing

Hey raptor, only problem with aliases it's the self voting and the occasional member/post bashing, that's why aliases are created these days, that's why they're hated...i also joined in early 2004, never minded aliases until they started voting for themselves, believe me it's irritating to lose a contest to someone voting for their own post.

So...drop the mask? who do we have the pleasure to speak to? Wink

j58roldan

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:15 am   Reply with quote         

Very Happy

supak0ma

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:32 am   Reply with quote         

i miss tonto!!! Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - PSC Members from PSC's Hey Day - Reply to topic