Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - H2H no-shows allowed back in AGAIN - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Should the H2H have a Accept / Decline the rules button when you sign up?

yes

82%

82%

[ 46 ]

no

17%

17%

[ 10 ]

Total Votes: 56

TheShaman

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:

Ok how about this idea. Everyone who wants to enter is given X weeks or days to submit their round 1 entry.
Let's say 115 people enter. Our objective is to get to an even Top 64 and then have bracketed one-on-one matchups afterwards (just like normal). We post all 115 images to a page in random order. Each person has X votes to distribute and then the 64 entries that have the most votes after this process make the field of 64 and then it goes to Head to Head matchups after that. That definitely eliminates Round 1 no-shows, although on the downside it also does eliminate the concept of "head to head" from the first round. But it is an idea that virtually guarantees the elimination of no-shows altogether.

ok I see that... kinda like American Idol. The lowest vote total is gone. But what about people who say oh sorry out of votes then? Like that doesn't happen too often around here Laughing I suppose if you're given 64 votes it could work... You can then vote in the (what you feel are the) 64 best entries to move forward to a more traditional H2H.

Sadly it seems like Tofu's pay-to-play idea is the only plausible solution. Who's gonna no show when you've shelled out money? Then again being the cheap bastard that I am, I may not want to play because I had to pay. Laughing

again, just enforcing the rules in place would be the easiest solution. No exceptions for getting back into the comp. But depending on circumstances, you just wont be banned from future competitions.

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
How about we keep just the game in place as is, and just enforce the rules?

lol

coughdictatorshipcough!!

Laughing silly arc thinking this website is some sort of democracy! Laughing

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:15 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
How about we keep just the game in place as is, and just enforce the rules?

No-shows are banned (or in certain circumstances are not) but no matter the issue are not allowed to compete that year.

Any empty slots are then filled by the loser with the most votes from the previous round...

I don't particularly like "loser with the most votes" as much as "loser with highest percentage of votes for his/her match-up" since not all the matches have the same number of votes. A person who loses a tie, imo (cough), did better with 50 out of 100 votes than the person who got 51 out of 130 votes. In the event that there is more than one "tie," first-in would again be used to break that tie.

right, however they do it now... I wasn't sure exactly how it was done.

The game isn't really broken.

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
again, just enforcing the rules in place would be the easiest solution. No exceptions for getting back into the comp. But depending on circumstances, you just wont be banned from future competitions.

If we apply rules like you wish, we'd have 2 more no shows at the moment. That seems like an awfully bad idea to get rid of them...

Cool

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 pm   Reply with quote         

It's not like I wish... It's like they're written!
Twisted Evil

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:26 pm   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
TheShaman wrote:

If we apply rules like you wish, we'd have 2 more no shows at the moment. That seems like an awfully bad idea to get rid of them...

Cool

not if the rules were enforced BEFORE the contest started... I really doubt we had exactly 128 registrations... I bet mikey took the spot of someone who didn't make the cut...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

MamaBallistic

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:29 pm   Reply with quote         

Just adding my thoughts but I reckon if the H2H did become an open comp during which you submitted your image & then got paired up there could still be problems.....

The main one is the lack of trust we sometimes have in mods (sorry guys, we're not perfect 100% of the time & people CAN judge incorrectly)....

....how long would it be before someone thought that they'd been incorrectly paired with someone & the fixing then became an accusation?

I'm just looking at both sides of this that's all, I'm also half asleep so I may come back & realise none of this makes any sense whatsoever in an hour or so...... with this in mind can you wait before the lynch mob sets off round to mine please! Razz

Oh & I'm completely in agreement with what Mark said about the whole "image submittion AFTER the deadline" - if you're going to be advantaged or an instant next round entrant because of a no show then a late entry should probably be refused.

I worry at how you guys look at the H2H, C'mon, there's only going to be 1 winner, not everyone can be it & even if you think you have an excellent chance then who cares really, have fun more, relax , enjoy chopping & taking part!!!

Ok, that's it Smile

Good luck to all H2H entrants, bad luck to those who no showed, your loss is someone elses next round gain anyway.

Fun, fun, fun H2H times.....

*Awaits abuse*

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:38 pm   Reply with quote         

I say we have a check box to confirm that they checked the box to accept the deadline rules, but the rules are cleverly disguised as... da da da dahhhhh... another check box.

EFFIN A, PEOPLE. I'M IN IRAQ AND I MADE THE DEADLINE.
good to be back for the tourney, by the way, hello to all the old dogs who remember me, its been awhile.

TofuTheGreat

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 pm   Reply with quote         

How's this sign-up work for ya? Razz

TheShaman

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:45 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

OMG! BRILLIANT!!! Laughing

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:46 pm   Reply with quote         

marcoballistic wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

(and I still think a $5 entry fee is not too much to ask to ensure people are going to submit something when they enter)

I second that

I'd pay.

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:47 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

Nice, but I didn't understand the one thing about the other thing and when I had to do the something.
Cartoon Contractor

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 pm   Reply with quote         

TofuTheGreat wrote:

Where's the other button that says "No, I'm a dumb ass!"

janetdog

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:57 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
Alex wrote:
TheShaman wrote:

Cool

not if the rules were enforced BEFORE the contest started... I really doubt we had exactly 128 registrations... I bet mikey took the spot of someone who didn't make the cut...

Mikey did post a picture. Maybe people with lifetime advantage should be excluded. That would clear a few spaces and cut the unnecessary drama in half.

Post Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm   Reply with quote         

Watch them Drift wrote:
marcoballistic wrote:
TofuTheGreat wrote:

(and I still think a $5 entry fee is not too much to ask to ensure people are going to submit something when they enter)

I second that

I'd pay.

I'd pay too. How about just a dollar? I think any amount would make a person participate. And an agreement button too.

On top of that, how about 2 deadlines for the first round. We have one deadline for everyone to enter, and a second deadline to see who hasn't entered and send out a notice to them (through email, PM and a notice in the forum). Failure to submit means a ban from the entire site. Evil or Very Mad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Contests and Entries - H2H no-shows allowed back in AGAIN - Reply to topic