Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Don't run, we are your friends - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

GuidedByPandas

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:32 am   Reply with quote         

Spam spam spam spam... spam spam spam spam... SpammySpam, wonderful Spam!

That's quite enough of that silliness! Hi, I'm pleased to finally make your acquaintance. I was introduced to this fine site several years ago by a talented chopper, a young man with the soul of an old artist, ReggieNoble2. I came, my jaw dropped, and I promptly ran away. Well, just to the shadows, into extended lurking mode. Waiting...

So I'm not really new to the site. I set up an account way back in early 2008(?) choosing a name that reflected my medical condition. And then I got really sick... that'll teach me. And then I forgot my password. And eventually my logon. And my way. Fortunately some kind pandas found me and guided me back.

I've been chopping for almost 4 yrs, mostly with CS3, but dabble in Painter X too. I've posted composite chops on 3 other sites, pretty well known (not as GbyP). I admin'd on one site and founded a small community site of wayward squirrels. When not tending the horde, I enjoy creating source-only works - either source as palete or melding source with brain-spun painting - which lead me back here as these styles seem pretty common.

Most, if not all, of the images I post here will be source-only or source/draw combos. Which leads me to ask: Is it helpful to note that with the image post? Or does it not really matter?

I recall reading a thread here last year where folk were split hot/cold on adding this kind of note so I'm just trying to get a read on the current temperature. Just want to blend..

Wow, that's a lot a jabberjawing for a n00b. I know, I know... STFUAC.

YerPalAl

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 am   Reply with quote         

HOLY hello and welcome!!

Great introduction, and you are on your third chop so I feel safe in welcoming you as NOT spam!!

I think it is split here, he said in answer to your question. Some people prefer all source and some, like me, don't care but it is probably to your benefit to indicate when a chop is source only.

Once again, cheers aand welcome.

seelcraft

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:08 am   Reply with quote         

I think it's important to indicate what you did with an image.

Suppose the source is a candlestick on a table, and you submit an image of the candle on an altar in a cathedral. I yawn, "big deal, he glued the source on a photo of a cathedral."

But if you say "all source; cathedral made from candlestick", then you get my vote for execution!

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:41 am   Reply with quote         

IMO whether you use a lot or a little of the source it is the creative use of the source that matters to me. But if you do use the source in a way that may not be obvious or difficult to discern then it may be ideal to give a little more detail on what you had done with the source and how it was used.

GuidedByPandas

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 am   Reply with quote         

I really appreciate your feedback and I'll provide a bit more detail with future chop posts.

Comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Thanks!

GuidedByPandas

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:16 am   Reply with quote         

OK so I just finished watching Vincent Price in "The Last Man on Earth". Reading some recent threads, I'm guessing some of you feel like the last choppers on Earth; comments read include: 'the site is dying', 'all the old-timers have moved on', 'things really started going downhill after 2006'. Well thanks, I started chopping in 2007... I think (sniff sniff)... I'm going to cry.

Eh, not really as I hear these exact same laments on other sites too. As mentioned above I run a small community site; I get 100s of thousands of hits and have hundreds of return visitors, but less than 80 members and maybe a dozen or so routine participants. Our tourneys were never huge - 22~28 participants - but in Sept I had to sell my soul to get 13 participants. Thirteen. Trust me, I feel your pain.

It's disheartening to me and you because we love photoshop and are willing (and able) to carve out time in our lives to create. Fewer seem to have this option these days. I was recently unemployed for over a year; job seeking is time-consuming. I had some reserves, but many don't so maybe they give up DSL/cable to pay for essential needs. Then there are the folks with jobs fearful of losing them so they are working like mad and no longer have the time or energy to commit to chopping.

Given when photoshop came into its prime, folk were younger and uncommitted; I know a dozen former talented choppers who just have - or want - to commit time to their expanding families. Chopping was just a (shudder) passing hobby.

And this last point, oh you won't like this... the Golden Age of Photoshop has long passed. Photoshop and similar apps are more available to the unwashed masses. Those looking for 'cutting edge' aren't looking at Photoshop alone. In many ways, sites that now cater to traditional image manipulation are like needlepoint clubs of the past.

So I see two possible solutions, the 1st being simply to manage expectations rather than make major revisions to attract an audience that may no longer exist. Accept that there will be fewer participants and less voting. Focus on activities that keep the current community together such as group collaborations. On the site I admin'd we created an art deck of playing cards - more collectible than functional - that the community shared with friends and family. Sometimes those tangible objects can draw new faces into the art.

The other solution (which I'm planning now regarding my own site) is to broaden focus into digital arts that use photoshop as a tool to create the final piece. I and my lead admin have interests in 3D, digital film editing, freestyle digital painting, and other related arts. So we really aren't looking to attract more choppers, rather widen the community base and maybe get some nifty multi-media projects launched.

It's all very ambitious but I have low expectations... if it all falls apart I'll still be happy just chopping my days away. The Wacom pen - the sewing needle of the 21st century. Very Happy

You all have a great week!
GbyP

p.s. I hate to add a new post (because I'm really not wanting to whore) so just wanted to add that I'm not trying to be dismissive of regular contributors opinions but rather express that your concern is a shared experience outside this site. Nor do I believe that my rationale nor 'solutions' are the end-all. I'd love to be proven wrong: I've admired this site for awhile and very much intend to continue chopping. Thanks.

Going back to quiet observer mode now. Smile

bogonet

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 am   Reply with quote         

Pertinent comment. I Hope there is a hope, still...

Tad

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm   Reply with quote         

Tad

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm   Reply with quote         

seelcraft wrote:

But if you say "all source; cathedral made from candlestick", then you get my vote for execution!

All my chops from now on will say "all source; cathedral made from candlestick" ......to insure at least 1 vote.

Very Happy

Martrex

Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:46 pm   Reply with quote         

Good to see that you've gotten out of the old ward if only to become committed to this Mental ward ; ) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Time for my pills, I've been a good boy, don't send me back alone into the padded room! I won't ever happen again what ever it was that I might possibly have done. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

GuidedByPandas

Post Thu May 05, 2011 2:35 am   Reply with quote         

Hello, not-spam here again. So I have another site-etiquette n00b question (I am trying to limit these to once every 6 months).

So I know we can update images once a contest starts but what is considered too late or too much? I've never posted on a site where you could change the image post go-live so I sorta feel kinda weird doing this. It does make it better and I seriously doubt a wave of OMG!! will sweep over and lift me to glory and cupcakes. So would an update in this case even be that big a deal?

Inquiring Pandas need to know. Thank you.

Oh and if I'm not supposed to talk about this subject since it relates to a live contest, feel free to delete this post.
(17 post edits later... Razz)

TofuTheGreat

Post Thu May 05, 2011 8:40 am   Reply with quote         

GuidedByPandas wrote:
So I know we can update images once a contest starts but what is considered too late or too much? I've never posted on a site where you could change the image post go-live so I sorta feel kinda weird doing this. It does make it better and I seriously doubt a wave of OMG!! will sweep over and lift me to glory and cupcakes. So would an update in this case even be that big a deal?

Inquiring Pandas need to know. Thank you.

Oh and if I'm not supposed to talk about this subject since it relates to a live contest, feel free to delete this post.
(17 post edits later... Razz)

It's generally not good form to discuss an open contest but I get why you did it. Wink

Edit away! That's one of the cool things about PSC. You can get feedback and immediately implement it in your chop. Edit early and edit often is up to you. When you edit you are moved to the bottom of the entry pile though. It's the same positioning as if you originally posted at the time of the edit (if that makes sense). So in the event of a tie the earliest post wins.

GuidedByPandas

Post Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 am   Reply with quote         

Thanks for the reply Tofu the Great.

Haha... the inscription on my urn will read "His road here was paved with good intentions."

I should have waited until after the contest ended to discuss this (or perhaps PM'd a Moderator) - it wasn't my intention to offend and if I have done so for anyone, please accept my apologies. Damn pesky n00bs. Smile

As amends, I'll just leave the image as is and keep this advice in mind for future contests. I'm not judging the policy, it's just a new concept for me and I was curious as to folks opinions.

GuidedByPandas

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:29 pm   Reply with quote         

A lot has happened since I started posting here last year. This has not been a good year for me health-wise... I had a 'chance' to wave to my maker in February and again 2 weeks ago.

But I really try to find the silver lining in events, what can I learn... that sort of thing. I see these events as opportunities for correction. Not that I can successfully erase past actions or change folk's view of me, but what can I do better for me to make my time left enjoyable and meaningful.

So what does this have to do with PSC? Well I was an idiot last month. I left a panicked post without any concrete reason to justify it. In my defense, I had been taking one experimental med after another and frankly I think lost myself. But that's an excuse... if I was fk'ed up I should have stayed off the damn board!

I didn't come here to invoke change or wow you with great ideas on making this a better place. a) There is nothing wrong with this place and b) i am nobody - a speck of dust on a rock at the edge of a galaxy in the universe where Spock was good.

I came here to chop - to challenge my technical and artistic abilities on source-only (or near) chops. I don't care about winning, I don't care about votes... I just want to play. And I'm grateful for every day i can still play.

I hope you can accept my apology.

No more forum posts for me - i suck at talking. I just wanna stfuac.

YerPalAl

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:39 pm   Reply with quote         

Your posts have always been interesting, positive, thoughtful (unlike most here) and in good taste. (Unlike virtually ALL the posts here). So far I don't think anyone has been offended by anything you said, and if they were they should just STFUAC. Keep-posting as long as it doesn't impact on your chopping time.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Welcome Center - Don't run, we are your friends - Reply to topic