Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Hey Bill, - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Alex

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:58 am   Reply with quote         

We've known each other for a little bit now, but what's that?

Quote:

It's pretty clear who did what. You have a perfectly executed, but mediocre idea versus a high effort, but not as well chopped, better idea. The choice to use those blurry trees as sources would make this very easy to vote against. What a flat out, bad decision. There are millions upon millions of similar tree pictures on the net you could have chosen something high-res from. That said, the rest is pretty darn great and this is the time in the contest when you have to choose high effort, epic ideas and this has just enough good execution to sway me this way.

Mediocre idea? Who are you? Seriously Stephen, shut the f**k up and chop if you want better ideas. It's pretty easy from our position to watch and judge other people's hard work, but there are ways to do it. So even if YOU THINK it's a mediocre idea, just don't come in here and play that statement game. Especially with Claf. He's one heck of a chopper, he's always been. Probably the best this site has ever had.

Show some respect.

Raising Brow

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 am   Reply with quote         

Huh.. I didn't think Stephen was being disrespectful. He has an opinion and he stated it. That's what this site is about.

I happen to totally agree with Stephen about the trees, though.

Cool

Alex

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 am   Reply with quote         

Azionite wrote:
Huh.. I didn't think Stephen was being disrespectful. He has an opinion and he stated it. That's what this site is about.

Alex wrote:
There are ways to do it.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 am   Reply with quote         

welllll, He did say the rest is great. Laughing
But I agree with his statement. (although the trees didn't bother me that much)
I was disappointed with Claf's entry too. Only because I love his talent and I was really pushing for him to go all the way. He deserves it. He just choked on the idea and the type on his image really killed his image for me. He struggled with the idea part. I sent him a message that read. "Dude!! Really??!!"
I was sad. But we all have bombs in this competition. Not everybody has free time so we try to quick jam something in there. doesn't always work. Laughing
I like Bill's (Stephen's....whatever) comments. They are very honest and not for the faint-hearted. He helps you get better if you listen. He know's he is not superior to anyone but he does know what he is talking about......most of the time. Laughing The only time Bill is wrong is when he is talking about my entries and he says something is wrong. Evil or Very Mad Then it is obvious he has no idea what he is talking about. Laughing

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:28 am   Reply with quote         

I agree.. Stephen's comments speak the truth and have been helpful for me in the past!

If you're not on a Mac, you're wasting your time..
billtvshow
Site Moderator

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:28 am   Reply with quote         

I've always said Claf was the best chopper on the site (no offense to anyone *cough* Rey *cough*). It's even in my freaking profile description. I also said it was perfectly executed. There's no lack of respect whatsoever.
That said, it's a source that looks like an umbrella to begin with and to choose to do ONLY an umbrella and nothing else to go along with it, you didn't have to do that much work beyond the straw manip. It's perfectly done, as always. It's just that, at this stage, you have to start going for ideas that require and show a lot of effort. I emphasized the idea aspect in the comment because I've always tried to push Claf on the ideas side because it is the only thing that has ever held him back on this site; his skills are unmatched. As for the source comment on abraham's entry, it was brutal, but also true. I've been telling him forever he needs to pick better sources, as that has been one of the things holding him back; the occasional blurry and low res spots in his entries. The comments are meant to be both a reasoning for why I voted that way, but also a critique to drive them to make better choices in what they do, and in the end produce better entries on the site in the future.

There's two things you need to understand. #1: You don't lose your right to critique by not participating in a H2H. I've easily done my fair share of them in the past. #2: I ran every aspect of the non-code side of the H2H this year (<3 supak & gref for the rest). Seeds, brackets, and most importantly sources. I've done the seeds and brackets basically every year, but it wouldn't have been right for me to participate when also picking the sources and knowing what they were weeks ahead of time.

Some of the comments I made in the earlier rounds on the H2H were brash for sure and I apologized to some people, but you blew this one out of proportion. The umbrella wasn't necessarily a horrible idea, but it wasn't executed in a way that required as much effort as most people usually put forth at this stage in the H2H. In that sense, it was a bit mediocre, but I mean that with much love and respect for Claf. I hate to see him out. I've picked him in the bracket challenge basically every year until now. The site can't be TOO lovey dovey, even for the better choppers, or no one will be driven to improve themselves.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:31 am   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:
The umbrella wasn't necessarily a horrible idea, but it wasn't executed in a way that required as much effort as most people usually put forth at this stage in the H2H. In that sense, it was a bit mediocre

It was a brilliant idea, but yes it was horrible compared to mine...

oh wait, I'm not Claf. Damned personality disorder is acting up again.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:36 am   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
shut the f**k up and chop if you want better ideas.

and when are you going to STFUAC? Cool

Alex

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:37 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
Alex wrote:
shut the f**k up and chop if you want better ideas.

and when are you going to STFUAC? Cool

I don't want better ideas... Umbrellas are just fine for me.
Cool

Besides, I'd fear bill would'nt like my entries and call me mediocre. And I don't want to be mediocre like Claf.

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:01 pm   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
I don't want better ideas... Umbrellas are just fine for me.

Sorry to say but THAT sounds mediocre..

TofuTheGreat

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:05 pm   Reply with quote         

Wait.... weaker entry idea, text calls out that it's time for a break......Claude threw the match! Laughing

Alex

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:06 pm   Reply with quote         

Sliver wrote:

That sounds like someone who doesn't understand 2nd degrees...

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:12 pm   Reply with quote         

Alex wrote:
Sliver wrote:

That sounds like someone who doesn't understand 2nd degrees...

Well you can always lay it on me.. and make me understand, oh wise one, instead of making cracks. just lighten up.

Goat1981

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:13 pm   Reply with quote         

billtvshow wrote:
The site can't be TOO lovey dovey, even for the better choppers, or no one will be driven to improve themselves.

Absolutely agreed. As long as no personal insults are being made, I don't see a problem in giving constructive criticism (which can be blunt, if needed...).

People are getting way too sensitive to criticism. I've seen it myself here, and in my years of studying music... Everyone just wants to be complimented all the time. How does anyone expect to get better (even if they're amazing to begin with), if all they hear is "oh, that's so amazing...you are perfect in every way"? We can all improve. If someone has a suggestion/criticism (given they know what they're talking about to begin with), try to use it to your advantage, even if it's blunt. It may make you better.

Also, Stephen obviously didn't say Claf was mediocre. ...as we all know, that is ridiculous. Razz

It would be interesting to see what Claude says about all of this. Laughing

Alex

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:25 pm   Reply with quote         

Sliver wrote:
Well you can always lay it on me.. and make me understand, oh wise one, instead of making cracks. just lighten up.

I'm not against good ideas or better ideas. I'm just saying there are ways to tell people things. I wonder how bill would've react if he had worked 32 hours on a chop (it was his average back in the days) and he was being told by 102 people his idea was "mediocre". You just need to say "I prefer this idea", "this idea works better for me", "this is more creative" and why... instead of saying "other idea is mediocre". Just my 2 cents.
Goat1981 wrote:
People are getting way too sensitive to criticism. I've seen it myself here, and in my years of studying music... Everyone just wants to be complimented all the time.

It's not even my chop. I just feel like we should show respect to those who are working hard and doing great. This is just for fun after all.
Goat1981 wrote:
It would be interesting to see what Claude says about all of this. Laughing

Oh I know what he will say. Something like "Bill was right! My idea was indead mediocre! Haha!" I'm speaking only for myself here.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Hey Bill, - Reply to topic