Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Settle an argument? - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

the burning couch

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
also, the supposed tombstone shadow, why is it not extended by the eagle's shadow? totally fake

bingo

*!*

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

Because I am almost as old as Gramps I also know jack shit, but I do totally agree with johndownunder about the sentiment.

Sometimes we experts look at things too closely. If it is photoshopped I wish I had thought of it for all the solace it has brought to families. So when I got smarter and discovered Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy were all imaginary I might of been smarter but I lost a lot of child's awe and wonderment.

The other thought that came to me after looking at the reason's pro and con was maybe this is just a poorly focused photo. Heavens knows we all take those.

http://burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com/

Be my assbook friend

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:26 am   Reply with quote         

seamusoisin wrote:
So when I got smarter and discovered Santa, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy were all imaginary I might of been smarter but I lost a lot of child's awe and wonderment.

Shocked They are all imaginary!?! dear GOD!

kittie

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:33 am   Reply with quote         

jasper wrote:
kittie wrote:
How many cemeteries do you go to that have the same font on all the tombstones? I also never see them with what seems to be astro turf.
Also the bottoms of the tombstones are blurred into the grass?

Totally photoshopped, and I know this because it looks like something that I'd end up finished with because I can't get things sharp and clean enough.

yikes! it's not like ordering replacement checks with woodstock from peanuts, sparkly pink unicorns, or hello kitty on them when it comes to uncle sam paying for dead GI's tombstones. EVERYONE will get the same font. They don't get to say, "hey, make mine comic-sans, and instead of a cross, I want dice that read snake eyes. And 5 inches taller please". Secondly, it looks like astro-turf out of respect for the blood these guys spilled for your freedom - it's called, perfectly manicured grass. The blurred areas appear that way because of the morning dew on the grass. as the light plays off of the droplets from myriad direction, the refraction coming back out of the droplets overtakes the shadows cast by the tombstones, as well as obfuscating the darker more pigmented areas.

ps - the photo is completely real if you have ever seen a bald eagle at that distance.

Cool your jets man, I said I thought it was fake, not that soldiers wouldn't deserve a lovely resting place. Christ. I think the image is fake, so I must hate America.
Anyway, I concede to the tombstones. I wasn't thinking of those government funded for the soldiers.
Regardless, I still don't think it looks real. Guess I should move out of country.

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 am   Reply with quote         

supak0ma wrote:
also, the supposed tombstone shadow, why is it not extended by the eagle's shadow? totally fake
Oh, but it is more extended than the other shadows. Consider a) the linear perspective and b) the odd one out is the pronounced shadow of the grave marker on the second row on the left which looks bigger because the stone sits higher and the ground makes two dips behind it.

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:44 am   Reply with quote         

So instead of "settling an argument" we've essentially reproduced and heightened an argument.

experts shmexperts.

Rolling Eyes

STFUAC

vokaris
Site Moderator

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:51 am   Reply with quote         

Not a foolproof method, but for entertaining value, try Error Level Analysis
http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/7f76e83/

Just for kicks, I tried to paste another eagle as best as I could in 2 minutes and it stood out like a sore thumb
http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/f6e5f0c/

Also for entertaining value, I tried oversharpening the image. On the original eagle, the artifacts from the jpg compression align nicely, my planted eagle looks quite different

Paul Von Stetina

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm   Reply with quote         

This is what I saw when I went there... Rolling Eyes

jaw2785

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:21 pm   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
jasper wrote:
kittie wrote:
How many cemeteries do you go to that have the same font on all the tombstones? I also never see them with what seems to be astro turf.

Totally photoshopped, and I know this because it looks like something that I'd end up finished with because I can't get things sharp and clean enough.

yikes! it's not like ordering replacement checks with woodstock from peanuts, sparkly pink unicorns, or hello kitty on them when it comes to uncle sam paying for dead GI's tombstones. EVERYONE will get the same font. They don't get to say, "hey, make mine comic-sans, and instead of a cross, I want dice that read snake eyes. And 5 inches taller please". Secondly, it looks like astro-turf out of respect for the blood these guys spilled for your freedom - it's called, perfectly manicured grass. The blurred areas appear that way because of the morning dew on the grass. as the light plays off of the droplets from myriad direction, the refraction coming back out of the droplets overtakes the shadows cast by the tombstones, as well as obfuscating the darker more pigmented areas.

ps - the photo is completely real if you have ever seen a bald eagle at that distance.

Cool your jets man, I said I thought it was fake, not that soldiers wouldn't deserve a lovely resting place. Christ. I think the image is fake, so I must hate America.
Anyway, I concede to the tombstones. I wasn't thinking of those government funded for the soldiers.
Regardless, I still don't think it looks real. Guess I should move out of country.

Oh God kitti, please don't move out of the country. Indiana needs all the good lookin' girls it can get. I'm from Connersville and I should know.

jaw2785

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:48 pm   Reply with quote         

vokaris wrote:
Not a foolproof method, but for entertaining value, try Error Level Analysis
http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/7f76e83/

Just for kicks, I tried to paste another eagle as best as I could in 2 minutes and it stood out like a sore thumb
http://errorlevelanalysis.com/permalink/f6e5f0c/

Also for entertaining value, I tried oversharpening the image. On the original eagle, the artifacts from the jpg compression align nicely, my planted eagle looks quite different

Okay... but was your eagle black when you started? And am I imagining the shadows and highlights coming through the upper third of the eagle right above the line of markers? And there are highlights coming through of the same white and pink hues in the markers behind the bird. I say, for one reason or another, the fill has been lowered in the bird and I damn sure can see through it. Can anybody else? It looks obvious to me.
Not wanting to trash this guys photo or anyones moral high ground. It's just, HOW do you tell?

jasper

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:08 pm   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
jasper wrote:
kittie wrote:

I had not slept for 2 days (not meth) when posting this Shocked. HOWEVER, you based your decision that this was "fake" on THOSE criteria (grass and font) - which are incorrect assumptions. take those two arguments away and now tell my why you still think it's fake.

and - to the shadow people - the shadows are correct. note that the one with the eagle is much longer and tapered (notice the slightly darker spot toward the end of the shadow on vokaris' post?). also the light coming more from above than from the horizon and has a diffused quality from the cloudy/misty air mass.

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:16 pm   Reply with quote         

Because I'm not a pro and I suck at Photoshop, I will not give my opinion about if it's real or fake. Laughing

But I think it is funny to see how some people on the web consider this picture something great and unbelievable... to the point that some need to figure out it is all fake. I can understand America use the eagle as a symbol, and we all know their patriotic feelings... maybe for some this picture showed again another sign of god... ... ... but... but... BUT... it is just a simple bird resting on a square cut rock called tomb stone. Rolling Eyes

Zoeon

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:17 pm   Reply with quote         

I am not sure but lets bring in an expert Laughing

kittie

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:57 pm   Reply with quote         

jasper wrote:
kittie wrote:
jasper wrote:
kittie wrote:

I had not slept for 2 days (not meth) when posting this Shocked. HOWEVER, you based your decision that this was "fake" on THOSE criteria (grass and font) - which are incorrect assumptions. take those two arguments away and now tell my why you still think it's fake.

and - to the shadow people - the shadows are correct. note that the one with the eagle is much longer and tapered (notice the slightly darker spot toward the end of the shadow on vokaris' post?). also the light coming more from above than from the horizon and has a diffused quality from the cloudy/misty air mass.

Dude, I could be totally wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time. I'm no professional.
Also, pristine grass doesn't look like the astro turf I was thinking of. I'm thinking crappy golf course turf.
I don't have to have a precise reason to think "Something doesn't seem quite right..."

However, in defense of the Bald Eagle,

There are brown ones too, so the lighting could still be legit there.

kinetic_be

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:59 pm   Reply with quote         

Silly discussion or not, I don't think PSC has had such a shadow/light investiagion by so many different members in the past years as in this topic Smile
Therefor: USEFUL! Laughing

Should be more of this stuff.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Settle an argument? - Reply to topic