Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Something about Kindle - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bigbuck

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:00 pm   Reply with quote         

Others I have bought, but yet to read:
The Fear Index- Harris, Robert
The Psychopath Test- Ronson, Jon
Marching Powder- Young, Rusty
The Sense of an Ending- Barnes, Julian
A Guest in the Jungle- Polster, James
Fast Food Nation: What The All-American Meal is Doing to the World- Schlosser, Eric
The Quiet American- Greene, Graham
A Visit From The Goon Squad- Egan, Jennifer
Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone- Thompson, Hunter S
The House of Silk: The New Sherlock Holmes Novel- Horowitz, Anthony
The Slap- TSIOLKAS, Christos
11.22.63- King, Stephen
Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography- Isaacson, Walter
The Authentic Life of Billy The Kid- Garrett, Pat
.....and many, many more.

My problem is always WHICH to read next!

Anyway, there are a few DRM problems in countries outside the US, but this is improving.
Interestingly some good Australian authors are not available to me in Aus, but are available in the US. Go figure??? Like Tim Winton, great Aussie author, but no kindle ebooks here.

The upside of the kindle for me is that I am reading stuff that I would never have bought in a book store.
I used to go to the store, by the latest piece of 'best selling' crap. Go home, read it and go back and get another.

arcaico

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
I just told my husband about your e-reader dilemma, and he warned to check how many of Amazon's (or other) e-books are actually available for download in Israel. Apparently other international customers have discovered they can get hardly anything.

1. You can buy any book from amazon anywhere in the world. They restrict other contents though (such as blogs and stuff);

2. If the concern is about the content availability because of kindle´s proprietary format, you can read virtually any format in kindle converting them using a software called Calibre;

3. There´s no such thing as item 3.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

cafn8d

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:56 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
I just told my husband about your e-reader dilemma, and he warned to check how many of Amazon's (or other) e-books are actually available for download in Israel. Apparently other international customers have discovered they can get hardly anything.

1. You can buy any book from amazon anywhere in the world. They restrict other contents though (such as blogs and stuff);

2. If the concern is about the content availability because of kindle´s proprietary format, you can read virtually any format in kindle converting them using a software called Calibre;

3. There´s no such thing as item 3.

Good to know. These things are changing constantly. It was only a few months ago that Amazon finally licensed the Kindle e-book format to work with the library systems around here. I will say that some formats may require software from third parties that was not included on the Kindle. I don't remember which format I tried to download and couldn't, but there was at least one. I will definitely let my husband know there is no such thing as item 3. Razz

bigbuck

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 am   Reply with quote         

Definitely more stuff available if you're in the US

nevet

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am   Reply with quote         

I understand that it is possible to buy book on other sites and convert them to kindle format. So I could just buy it elsewhere....

cafn8d

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 am   Reply with quote         

nevet wrote:
I understand that it is possible to buy book on other sites and convert them to kindle format. So I could just buy it elsewhere....

I would research reviews of such converters, make sure it doesn't clip text or wreck how page-turning is supposed to work. While you're at it, why not just look at your reading wish list and go ahead and look up several of the titles in Amazon's Kindle store? Then you'll really have a better sense of availability.

nevet

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:12 am   Reply with quote         

I found most of what I wanted on Amazon but i'm not sure how to check if it's available in my country.

I also found some free e-books in other places...

cafn8d

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 am   Reply with quote         

Did you go through your account and your regional Amazon domain? You can also contact Amazon's customer service and see if they will check regional availability for you or at least tell you how to verify it for yourself. I bet they would, especially if you explained you are still *considering* buying a Kindle but wanted to make sure you could access all the books you wanted to. I found them very helpful and friendly when I needed assistance.

nevet

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 am   Reply with quote         

I think i'll check it more thoroughly.... but I think the Kindle is the most popular reader so it must be the most easy to manage....

cafn8d

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 am   Reply with quote         

nevet wrote:
I think i'll check it more thoroughly.... but I think the Kindle is the most popular reader so it must be the most easy to manage....

Not necessarily... It really only means that Amazon is the biggest company selling e-readers out there. Sort of like assuming Windows must be "better" than Macintosh because of Microsoft's much larger market-share over Apple for home computing. That said, I wouldn't confuse yourself about other options unless you found a real bargain somewhere. You'll definitely be happy with a Kindle, and Amazon is more likely to still be around in several years than most of its e-reader competitors. Smile

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:54 am   Reply with quote         

nevet wrote:
but I think the Kindle is the most popular reader so it must be the most easy to manage....

or most advertised

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:49 pm   Reply with quote         

I didn't mean it was better just more supported...

bigbuck

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:01 pm   Reply with quote         

look into http://calibre-ebook.com/ software too

arcaico

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:55 pm   Reply with quote         

nevet wrote:

or you could just get them for free in torrent sites... just an idea...

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

arcaico

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
Sort of like assuming Windows must be "better" than Macintosh because of Microsoft's much larger market-share over Apple for home computing.

A little off-topic, but that´s not a fair comparison... You can´t compare windows with mac... mac is a hardware (imac, macbook pro, macbook air, and so on) and windows is a software... fact is, windows will always be worse than the OS(insert feline here)... But PC will always be better than Mac... mac is overpriced. If you compare the hardware performance between a PC and a Mac, considering how much you spend in the PC and in the Mac, you´ll see you can get a way superior performance out of a PC for the price of a Mac... the bitch is you can´t use the Mac OS(insert kitty here) on it, unless you use an emulator...

now carry on... keep talking about books.

And Buck, read the whole thread before posting.

TheShaman wrote:
fine fine! I'm an idiot!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Something about Kindle - Reply to topic