Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

 


Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Monitor Question - Reply to topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

cringer8

Location: Seattle

Post Sun May 20, 2012 2:14 pm   Reply with quote         


So I just worked up a nightime entry (my first). I used a dark blue photo filter layer adjustment, a gradation map, and desaturation to achieve the affect. On my monitor it looked pretty damn good, like the hour after dusk. I was pleased.

I posted my entry only to discover that people couldn't see a damn thing. I was floored. It's a JPG and I could see every single detail on my screen; every blade of grass. What gives? Can my monitor really be that off? Now I'm worried about my other entries. Were they just as ridiculously dark? When I adjusted the aforementioned image, it doesn't really look like "night" anymore on my screen. I'm just blindly hoping it looks better on everyone else's.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I can do to make sure that my settings are more "universal?" I might just avoid doing dark chops Huh..




Post Sun May 20, 2012 2:41 pm   Reply with quote         


cringer8 wrote:
So I just worked up a nightime entry (my first). I used a dark blue photo filter layer adjustment, a gradation map, and desaturation to achieve the affect. On my monitor it looked pretty damn good, like the hour after dusk. I was pleased.

I posted my entry only to discover that people couldn't see a damn thing. I was floored. It's a JPG and I could see every single detail on my screen; every blade of grass. What gives? Can my monitor really be that off? Now I'm worried about my other entries. Were they just as ridiculously dark? When I adjusted the aforementioned image, it doesn't really look like "night" anymore on my screen. I'm just blindly hoping it looks better on everyone else's.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I can do to make sure that my settings are more "universal?" I might just avoid doing dark chops Huh..


I'm not really sure about the monitor as sometimes my work looks good on my monitor but then when I go say to an internet cafe, colors etc never look right.

But in regards to your work, first thought is since its a night time shot, why shouldn't it look dark but then when I looked again I noticed 2 guys on roof, (it definitely looks better large} so just a suggesting, maybe you could have the guys with torches so it just adds a little more light and puts more focus on the source(house) hope that makes sense




cringer8

Location: Seattle

Post Sun May 20, 2012 3:31 pm   Reply with quote         


Mel47 wrote:
cringer8 wrote:
So I just worked up a nightime entry (my first). I used a dark blue photo filter layer adjustment, a gradation map, and desaturation to achieve the affect. On my monitor it looked pretty damn good, like the hour after dusk. I was pleased.

I posted my entry only to discover that people couldn't see a damn thing. I was floored. It's a JPG and I could see every single detail on my screen; every blade of grass. What gives? Can my monitor really be that off? Now I'm worried about my other entries. Were they just as ridiculously dark? When I adjusted the aforementioned image, it doesn't really look like "night" anymore on my screen. I'm just blindly hoping it looks better on everyone else's.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I can do to make sure that my settings are more "universal?" I might just avoid doing dark chops Huh..


I'm not really sure about the monitor as sometimes my work looks good on my monitor but then when I go say to an internet cafe, colors etc never look right.

But in regards to your work, first thought is since its a night time shot, why shouldn't it look dark but then when I looked again I noticed 2 guys on roof, (it definitely looks better large} so just a suggesting, maybe you could have the guys with torches so it just adds a little more light and puts more focus on the source(house) hope that makes sense


When I read that, I thought, "why would they use torches when they could use a flashlight?" and then I remembered that parts of the world call flashlights "torches." I'm such an idiot Wink Thanks for the tip. I'll give them some flashli.... er, torches Smile




TheShaman

Location: Peaksville, Southeast of Disorder

Post Sun May 20, 2012 3:33 pm   Reply with quote         


looks better here on my macbook. on my IBM its still really dark though.
I didn't see the guys or the ladder until the second update and not until I looked on my Mac.

Doh!

night time images are tricky at best. you want them dark, yet you want everyone else to see the picture.
You almost have to cheat. Yes it needs to be dark, but you need really bright areas to make up for that.
making the night atmosphere blue instead of black helps as well.





_________________
T-shirt Designs: http://www.cafepress.com/TheShaman
Help fight breast cancer by becoming an enabler: http://www.cafepress.com/Pinkaholics
seelcraft

Location: High Bridge, New Jersey

Post Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 pm   Reply with quote         


TheShaman wrote:
looks better here on my macbook. on my IBM its still really dark though.
I didn't see the guys or the ladder until the second update and not until I looked on my Mac.

Doh!

night time images are tricky at best. you want them dark, yet you want everyone else to see the picture.
You almost have to cheat. Yes it needs to be dark, but you need really bright areas to make up for that.
making the night atmosphere blue instead of black helps as well.



Good tip, Shaman! Hopefully standards will never come to PSC. I'm tired of dealing with them almost all my professional life.
Doug




_________________
Seelcraft
Chemists have solutions!

Post Mon May 21, 2012 3:50 am   Reply with quote         






YerPalAl

Location: On Deck, South by Southeast

Post Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 am   Reply with quote         


Its not just monitors either, a lot depends on video cards and then there is how does the person looking at your image have their settings modified. (you know, those little lightness and contrast settings on every monitor and computer)

So, no. There IS no way to assure that everyone has the same view, so the above advice is your best. Welcome to the frustration club, it has a lot of members.

Having said that, there are applications to calibrate your monitor, Spyder comes to mind. (its sitting on a shelf right above my work station) but it only calibrates YOUR monitor so it does nothing about other people's computers.

This is why I hate online graphics. Give me print work where if a project comes out poorly you can ask Mr. Printer what the hell happened. Laughing Laughing Laughing




_________________
YerPalAl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm highly motivated to be un-ambitious today.



Tesore

Location: On the way to Utopia!

Post Mon May 21, 2012 11:56 am   Reply with quote         


I love my Acer 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor.


@ Work i have the hp-w2558hc-widescreen-flat-panel-monitor.


I have no probs with dark images, except it's dark Wink
I saw the guys on the roof.

Maybe it's time for the 26" scratch
Is there a 28" already?




Post Mon May 21, 2012 1:20 pm   Reply with quote         


Watch it and weep!

90% of my chops are done on this piece of crap...
...but that is not the reason 90% of my chops are crap also Laughing




Trann

Location: Canadian Prairies, eh?

Post Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 am   Reply with quote         


Pro Tip: Mac vs. PC Gamma.




_________________

Employed Droid

Location: france

Post Sat May 26, 2012 7:51 am   Reply with quote         


bonjour,

could someone explain how I can start new thread on front page. I am new user here.

thanks




irgum

Location: Hungary

Post Sat May 26, 2012 8:15 am   Reply with quote         


bonjour,
If you mean you would like start a new topic then click on the "post new topic" top of the this page or any others forum topic

I like your avatar Wink




Employed Droid

Location: france

Post Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 am   Reply with quote         


irgum wrote:
bonjour,
If you mean you would like start a new topic then click on the "post new topic" top of the this page or any others forum topic

I like your avatar Wink


merci, irgum. silly me, it was staring me in the face Laughing




irgum

Location: Hungary

Post Sat May 26, 2012 8:39 am   Reply with quote         


no problem
if you have other questions then you can find in the "faq" http://photoshopcontest.com/faq/help.html bottom of the front page




Employed Droid

Location: france

Post Sat May 26, 2012 10:55 am   Reply with quote         


thank you




Goto page 1, 2  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Ask the Experts - Monitor Question - Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Navigate PSC
Contests open  completed  winners  prizes  events  rules  rss 
Galleries votes  authentic  skillful  funny  creative  theme  winners 
Interact register  log in/out  forum  chat  user lookup  contact 
Stats monthly leaders  hall of fame  record holders 
PSC advantage  news (rss)  faq  about  links  contact  home 
Help faq  search  new users  tutorials  contact  password 

Adobe, the Adobe logo, Adobe Photoshop, Creative Suite and Illustrator are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Text and images copyright 2000-2006 Photoshop Contest. All rights reserved.