Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

TheShaman

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:07 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
PotHed wrote:

I was a TA for my philosophy professor (formal logic) and I studied analysis under the former Senior Intel Analyst, Joint Staff, Pentagon. I know a little something about good arguments and bad arguments. I know a little something about real logic and what passes for logic in the minds of idiots.

and yet you work where again?

I'm a student. Before going to school, I worked in the film industry (On set- Battle: LA, Drive Angry 3D. VFX studio- The Expendables, The Mechanic). Before that, I was in the Army. Even when I was deployed in Iraq, I still competed here, which is one of the reasons I don't buy the "life got in the way" argument. If people enjoy the site, they will make time.

Why was I thinking you were a fry cook for Jack in the Box?
I guess that was that someone else here? Where you work, or what type of edumacation you received... is irrelevant to this thread anyway... and to PSC for that matter. This isn't DebateContest.com.

Just because you don't buy the life got in the way argument doesn't make it any more true for "some" people. Everything isn't Black or White. There are varied shades of grey... this site's layout aside...

See the problem here at PSC isn't ONE thing... (even as much as you'd like to think it is) it is many things.
For YOU its repetitive sources. For others its "work"... yet for others its 'lack of good ownership'... and for others its "family"... or new hobbies... etc.

But pardon me for not Bow to your extremely thought out theory as to why the site is failing...
even though EVERYONE else here is disagreeing with YOU.

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 pm   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:

Great, it's possible, but it's not happening. Read the whole statement. I'm not arguing for the sake of being in opposition, you're just throwing that out to dodge the points. Yes, it's a terrible argument. I don't think a repitition problem exists at all. It would be a problem if it happened with significant frequency and with a complete lack of difference in the similar sources, but that is not the case.

Great, then I'll just go through this thread and look for all the times you responded to people who claimed it has always been a problem and has nothing to do with voting. Hang tight...

... Okay, I'm back. Nothing.
Quote:
You have ignored numerous arguments. How did you like the random stock photos? What do you think of the FACT that people are voting in significant numbers for unique images?

You mean the "random" photos that were actually photos from specific categories? They were terrible. No shit.

Try miscellaneous and random. The selection is much better.

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?cat=22&safesearch=1&prev_sort_method=newest&sort_method=random&page=1

My argument was never that every time people vote, that the image will be repetitive. The argument is that over time, the trend will favor images like cars, statues, etc based on their appeal as "good" images, and this kills variety in the long-term. Pointing to voting that is occurring right now doesn't tell us anything, especially since the results could have easily been skewed by this thread alone. Many people have already stated that they will try to submit and select more randomly. The question is whether or not this can be sustained long-term.

TheShaman

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 pm   Reply with quote         

just because a source is voted for today... doesn't mean its coming up tomorrow or anytime soon for that matter. I had a few voted for from May and June. They're still not on the board yet...

over time miscellaneous and random becomes repetitive as well.

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Why was I thinking you were a fry cook for Jack in the Box?

I am, part time. I get the majority of my income from the GI Bill. I work at Jack in Box on days off and do freelance artwork whenever it comes around.

Quote:
I guess that was that someone else here? Where you work, or what type of edumacation you received... is irrelevant to this thread anyway... and to PSC for that matter. This isn't DebateContest.com.

But if we're looking at an analysis and debating it on its merits, and if someone is going to make the claim that a logical argument has been made when it hasn't, then it becomes relevant.

Quote:
Just because you don't buy the life got in the way argument doesn't make it any more true for "some" people. Everything isn't Black or White. There are varied shades of grey... this site's layout aside...

It certainly is true for some people. I just don't buy it as a reason for the trend. It ought to be offset by newcomers, people finding more time, etc.

Quote:
See the problem here at PSC isn't ONE thing... (even as much as you'd like to think it is) it is many things.
For YOU its repetitive sources. For others its "work"... yet for others its 'lack of good ownership'... and for others its "family"... or new hobbies... etc.

I agree with this. Earlier I spoke about the fact that we have 25 votes now, and while this wasn't a problem when we have 60 chops to pick from, now that there are 30 on a good day, it makes the problem of participation even worse, whatever the cause of the drop was to begin with.

Quote:
But pardon me for not Bow to your extremely thought out theory as to why the site is failing...
even though EVERYONE else here is disagreeing with YOU.

Not everyone. I started off getting positive responses. The group turned on me when I started calling some people idiots for being idiots.

Werdnaibor

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

Great, it's possible, but it's not happening. Read the whole statement. I'm not arguing for the sake of being in opposition, you're just throwing that out to dodge the points. Yes, it's a terrible argument. I don't think a repitition problem exists at all. It would be a problem if it happened with significant frequency and with a complete lack of difference in the similar sources, but that is not the case.

Great, then I'll just go threw this thread and look for all the times you responded to people who claimed it has always been a problem and has nothing to do with voting. Hang tight...

... Okay, I'm back. Nothing.
Quote:
You have ignored numerous arguments. How did you like the random stock photos? What do you think of the FACT that people are voting in significant numbers for unique images?

You mean the "random" photos that were actually photos from specific categories? They were terrible. No shit.

Try miscellaneous and random. The selection is much better.

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?cat=22&safesearch=1&prev_sort_method=newest&sort_method=random&page=1

My argument was never that every time people vote, that the image will be repetitive. The argument is that over time, the trend will favor images like cars, statues, etc based on their appeal as "good" images, and this kills variety in the long-term. Pointing to voting that is occurring right now doesn't tell us anything, especially since the results could have easily been skewed by this thread alone. Many people have already stated that they will try to submit and select more randomly. The question is whether or not this can be sustained long-term.

Really? You're going to keep pointing to the irrelevant? No, I didn't argue directly with them. I definitely put my views in the same thread. It makes no difference in my argument with you.

I'll use one of your techniques here. Those images came from that site, it's entirely possible they would come up, therefore they will come up. I skipped the stupid question with the obvious answer part. I followed that link to find nothing special in there. It's similar to what comes up here. Multiple signs were in there.

Your original argument definitely sounded like that, especially with that video game analogy. Your argument was that this has been happening with enough frequency to drive people away. Once again, you're assuming that everyone thinks those are good images. I don't think any particular type of image is good. (You will say, "Great, that's you, but what about everybody else?" which is what could easily be thrown at any of your thoughts) I also pointed to voting before this thread. So, concrete examples aren't good, but completely made up hypothetical scenarios point to the truth? If it's the repetitive sources keeping you from chopping, why didn't you chop that hardhat? It's not repetitive, and there's no obvious idea for it. I'd like to bring up your ridiculous lunch analogy now. It was unrealistic and suited to your needs. If they were eating pizza everyday, why would the majority voting for pizza be shifting? People who didn't want pizza before suddenly thought, "Hey, since I had pizza for the last five days, I think now I'll vote for it." There is absolutely no logic behind that scenario. It would not happen in real life.

kittie

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:23 pm   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:

It certainly is true for some people. I just don't buy it as a reason for the trend. It ought to be offset by newcomers, people finding more time, etc.

I found more time (and became interested again) during the last 3 months. I was absent for several months before. In this short time, I could name at LEAST 3 new members that have joined and chop on a somewhat regular basis.

This isn't meant to debunk your original hypothesis, but I thought you ought to know that some of us DO phase in and out as we get more time, and the incoming member rate isn't at a standstill.

PotHed

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:

Really? You're going to keep pointing to the irrelevant? No, I didn't argue directly with them. I definitely put my views in the same thread. It makes no difference in my argument with you.

Why didn't you?

Quote:
I'll use one of your techniques here. Those images came from that site, it's entirely possible they would come up, therefore they will come up. I skipped the stupid question with the obvious answer part. I followed that link to find nothing special in there. It's similar to what comes up here. Multiple signs were in there.

I never said those images wouldn't come up.

Quote:
Your original argument definitely sounded like that, especially with that video game analogy. Your argument was that this has been happening with enough frequency to drive people away. Once again, you're assuming that everyone thinks those are good images. I don't think any particular type of image is good. (You will say, "Great, that's you, but what about everybody else?" which is what could easily be thrown at any of your thoughts)

I honestly don't even know what you're saying. I haven't assumed "everyone" would do or think anything.

Quote:
I also pointed to voting before this thread. So, concrete examples aren't good, but completely made up hypothetical scenarios point to the truth?

If you pick one or two examples out of 5+ years of voting, then you're not interested in describing trends; you're interesting in cherry-picking. The examples I used, some real, some hypothetical, were used in the proper context. My real examples of what happens in video games described a trend. My hypothetical scenario described the possibility, of which not your nor anyone else was willing to acknowledge. The assumption from your side has always been that because voting is based on choice that the site must be better for it. I have shown multiple examples, both real and hypothetical, in which that is simply not always the case.

Quote:
If it's the repetitive sources keeping you from chopping, why didn't you chop that hardhat? It's not repetitive, and there's no obvious idea for it.

I'm just not into the site anymore. I want to be, but if I see one more bridge/statue/flower/whatever I'm just going to give it up altogether.

Quote:
I'd like to bring up your ridiculous lunch analogy now. It was unrealistic and suited to your needs. If they were eating pizza everyday, why would the majority voting for pizza be shifting? People who didn't want pizza before suddenly thought, "Hey, since I had pizza for the last five days, I think now I'll vote for it." There is absolutely no logic behind that scenario. It would not happen in real life.

People who speak in absolutes as much as you do should absolutely be shot in the face at close range with a high caliber rifle.

People who were tired of pizza could leave for lunch. Then they would come back and vote for the damn pizza again, which would annoy the people who voted for pizza the day before. And so on and so forth.

PotHed

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:33 am   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
PotHed wrote:

I found more time (and became interested again) during the last 3 months. I was absent for several months before. In this short time, I could name at LEAST 3 new members that have joined and chop on a somewhat regular basis.

This isn't meant to debunk your original hypothesis, but I thought you ought to know that some of us DO phase in and out as we get more time, and the incoming member rate isn't at a standstill.

The trend, which is what I've been speaking of, is that participation has been falling, not going in cycles, not phasing in and out.

This is about trends.

Trends.

Trends.

Trends.

God dammit.

If one more person tries to convince me that 50% of the people on this site just don't have time anymore, I'm going to shoot up an orphanage.

kittie

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 am   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
kittie wrote:
PotHed wrote:

The trend, which is what I've been speaking of, is that participation has been falling, not going in cycles, not phasing in and out.

This is about trends.

Trends.

Trends.

Trends.

God dammit.

If one more person tries to convince me that 50% of the people on this site just don't have time anymore, I'm going to shoot up an orphanage.

And I'm saying that from the time I came back a couple of months ago, participation has been rising.

Rising

Rising

Rising

Goddamit Hallelujah

I

Werdnaibor

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:54 am   Reply with quote         

Again, irrelevant. I put the ideas out there, if anyone else wants to challenge them, I'll argue with them. I'm content not doing that right now.

Yes, but you implied that they're somehow a poor representation because they came from categories, which doesn't make sense. And again, the random ones you linked to are no better.

"The argument is that over time, the trend will favor images like cars, statues, etc based on their appeal as "good" images, and this kills variety in the long-term." In order for that to be true, you are assuming the majority of people view those types of images as being good.

It's quite impossible to get the voting information from the past, as it is gone as soon as it's done. I can only go with what I have seen. Your analogies are not related enough, and I have pointed out why. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_analogy And now you changed the elements of the lunch analogy, which is still very weak. It's based entirely on your own assumptions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_projection_fallacy People who think they alone have the understanding of how people think and act should really just leave, and apparently you will tomorrow, as tomorrow's source is a foot bridge. You really need to learn to look at the images differently. It doesn't matter that it's a bridge at all. Also, if you're not into the site to the point that you won't chop the sources that are perfectly fine by your definitions, how will any changes help?

Werdnaibor

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:59 am   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
PotHed wrote:
kittie wrote:
PotHed wrote:

This is about trends.

Trends.

Trends.

Trends.

God dammit.

And I'm saying that from the time I came back a couple of months ago, participation has been rising.

Rising

Rising

Rising

Goddamit Hallelujah

I

Kittie is the key! We will all flock to her and chop like we have never chopped before!

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:01 am   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:

Laughing
I will say... it's the main reason of surely 50% of top choppers that I talked to about their low participation... but I don't know about the others...

kittie

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
kittie wrote:
PotHed wrote:
kittie wrote:
PotHed wrote:

This is about trends.

Trends.

Trends.

Trends.

God dammit.

Rising

Rising

Rising

Goddamit Hallelujah

I

Kittie is the key! We will all flock to her and chop like we have never chopped before!

u iz all my childrnz so stfuac

You're gonna love my bridge tomorrow. I made it a bridge lol

Werdnaibor

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:06 am   Reply with quote         

Haha, I look forward to seeing your very bridgey bridge entry.

PotHed

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:44 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
Again, irrelevant. I put the ideas out there, if anyone else wants to challenge them, I'll argue with them. I'm content not doing that right now.

Of course.

Quote:
Yes, but you implied that they're somehow a poor representation because they came from categories, which doesn't make sense. And again, the random ones you linked to are no better.

They came from categories that were common, like the animals one. Absent of the context of repetition, the pictures were just fine.

Quote:
"The argument is that over time, the trend will favor images like cars, statues, etc based on their appeal as "good" images, and this kills variety in the long-term." In order for that to be true, you are assuming the majority of people view those types of images as being good.

I don't think that's a far-fetched assumption given the image selection we've seen on this site.

Quote:
It's quite impossible to get the voting information from the past, as it is gone as soon as it's done. I can only go with what I have seen.

Well then we're both missing information that would help. Sad day for us.

Quote:
Your analogies are not related enough, and I have pointed out why. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_analogy And now you changed the elements of the lunch analogy, which is still very weak. It's based entirely on your own assumptions.

Why is the game show analogy false?
Why is the video game analogy false?
Why is the office pizza analogy false?

Calling it weak is not an actual explanation.

Players vote for the maps on Max Payne 3 and the same maps come up over and over again.
Players can only vote for a map twice in a row in Call of Duty and they get more variety.

Game show contestants are not allowed to vote on which categories will be available during the game because those few who know obscure subjects the best would never get their subjects into the game.

People can leave the office to go to lunch just like they can leave this site. The people who don't get tired of pizza will hang back at the office just like people who don't tire of repetitive sources stick around on this site, and in both cases they continue to vote for the same shit again and again, keeping everybody who wants Chinese in the minority, everyone who wants burgers in the minority, everyone who wants something other than pizza in the minority, even if they collectively make up a larger group than the pizza lovers.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_projection_fallacy People who think they alone have the understanding of how people think and act should really just leave, and apparently you will tomorrow, as tomorrow's source is a foot bridge. You really need to learn to look at the images differently. It doesn't matter that it's a bridge at all.

That's right, it doesn't matter that it's a bridge. It matters that with bridges, you get a lot of the same shapes and textures to work with. I've gotten a lot of credit for seeing images differently, for taking a different approach, so I don't think the problem is that I need to learn to look at the images differently.

Quote:
Also, if you're not into the site to the point that you won't chop the sources that are perfectly fine by your definitions, how will any changes help?

I would, and have, but I know that every time I do, I get about 3 entries in before seeing something I've already seen a bunch of times before and I stop. If I know I can't make a habit of competing, I just won't do it.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic