Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Werdnaibor

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:06 am   Reply with quote         

I think it's far fetched, because as I have said, I don't think those images have been coming up too frequently.

Alright, I guess it's time to repeat myself. Game show: does not apply because there is no advantage gained from the type of source, as there would be with selecting question categories. Video game: The reason for repeated map selection is entirely different. Shitty players pick the map that they have a chance to not suck on, and there are more shitty players than good players. The maps actually are identical, whereas the source images are not even close to identical, so the issue of annoyance is different. The frequency of playing the same maps that you have described is nowhere near the frequency of the source images you discussed. It's used to exaggerate the issue. Lunch: you have presented a completely unrealistic scenario. Once again, it's technically possible. Congratulations. But the likelihood of it occuring is slim. You even had to edit it to make it more possible. Overall, it contributes nothing to your argument, because it is loosely tied to your argument. The only connection is voting. That's not enough.

PotHed

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:14 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
I think it's far fetched, because as I have said, I don't think those images have been coming up too frequently.

Alright, I guess it's time to repeat myself. Game show: does not apply because there is no advantage gained from the type of source, as there would be with selecting question categories.

Why isn't there an advantage to choosing the source? At the very least, those who chose it are more likely to want to participate in it, and that is an immediate advantage.

Quote:
Video game: The reason for repeated map selection is entirely different. Shitty players pick the map that they have a chance to not suck on, and there are more shitty players than good players.

Sounds like quite an assumption to me.

Quote:
The maps actually are identical, whereas the source images are not even close to identical, so the issue of annoyance is different.

Here's what I want you to do. I want you to break open your piggy bank, buy an xbox 360, sign up for xbox live, buy Call of Duty and Max Payne 3, and play the maps before you tell me that the maps are identical. They aren't.

Quote:
The frequency of playing the same maps that you have described is nowhere near the frequency of the source images you discussed. It's used to exaggerate the issue.

They don't have to be frequent relative to each other, they have to be frequent within their own contexts. The images I've complained about occur more frequently than would be expected by chance alone. The maps occur more frequently than would be expected by chance alone. Do you not know how analogies work? God damn you remind me of my sister. Blithering idiot, she is. Still thinks the sun goes around the Earth and Noah lived to be 900. She doesn't know how analogies work either. I should introduce you two then push you both off a cliff.

Quote:
Lunch: you have presented a completely unrealistic scenario. Once again, it's technically possible. Congratulations. But the likelihood of it occuring is slim. You even had to edit it to make it more possible. Overall, it contributes nothing to your argument, because it is loosely tied to your argument. The only connection is voting. That's not enough.

You still don't know how to explain a disagreement. Let's analyze the qualms you have with my lunch scenario:

"Unrealistic"
"likelihood... slim"
"only connection is voting"

What sort of vague comments are these? Only connection is voting? I had more connections than that whether you wish to give me credit or not. What's worse is you'll come back in 10 pages and tell me you already gave me an explanation when you simply haven't. That's all you keep doing. That's all you've been doing this entire thread. You don't know how to have a productive discussion. I'm sorry, but you simply haven't got a clue. You just found a way to expand "I disagree for no reason!" to 8 sentences. If you want to tell me it's unrealistic, you have to tell me WHAT was unrealistic about it. Is pizza a fantasy food, like a unicorn burger or a leprechaun shake? Why is the likelihood slim? Is it more likely that the office would vote on fried chicken? I don't know what people eat where you're from, but change it to suit your local cuisine, I don't care. And if voting was the only connection, what about people being able to leave (not participate) if they get tired of the repetition? Isn't that a connection? What about the repetition based on general popularity? Isn't that a connection? What about the connection between me saying I want images "other than what's already been done" and the disgruntled office workers wanting "something other than pizza."

I mean talk about glossing over. You've used a lot of words but you still haven't said anything. Why don't you do something more useful with your time like crossing the Pacific in a stone kayak?

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:44 am   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
See the problem here at PSC isn't ONE thing... (even as much as you'd like to think it is) it is many things.
For YOU its repetitive sources. For others its "work"... yet for others its 'lack of good ownership'... and for others its "family"... or new hobbies... etc.

I agree with this. Earlier I spoke about the fact that we have 25 votes now, and while this wasn't a problem when we have 60 chops to pick from, now that there are 30 on a good day, it makes the problem of participation even worse, whatever the cause of the drop was to begin with.

Quote:
But pardon me for not Bow to your extremely thought out theory as to why the site is failing...
even though EVERYONE else here is disagreeing with YOU.

Not everyone. I started off getting positive responses. The group turned on me when I started calling some people idiots for being idiots.

So again, another issue to add to the pile of issues... I agree. having 25 votes for a contest where there are only 27 entries (on a prize contest) is stupid. Doesn't mean you have to use them... but there are some who are tempted to throw them all out there in hopes of landing some back.

as for your second response... I left off the "s" on purpose. Only Anfa agreed with you, and thats because he was here pre-2005.
anfa wrote:
I've said before that we should bin the voting on source pics. It's the same people doing the voting so we are getting sources that they like. It's obvious it's going to repeat itself over and over again. It's fucking mind numbingly boring if you don't want to do the same chop over and over like some people here do. Laughing
It needs to be random like in the olden days of PSC.

Like I said. Since I've been here, we've been able to submit sources. I'm not saying that every source was user submitted. Because I don't know that for fact... But I do know a lot of Sources were submitted by the 50 or so users we had at the time... BUT we didn't vote on the sources we submitted.

Problem: I don't think current management wants to spend anymore money than they have to... Hell, I'm surprised that $50 prize contests are still coming up every week. Thats $200 a month going out the window.

For you, that's money that could be spent on improving the site *IE stock photos* Like you said earlier.

When I first came, prize contests were few and far between. H2H was where you won a 'prize'. Lifetime advantages & Drawing Pads and such.

I have and always will contend that this is a multi-layered problem. It all stared with JMH leaving and selling it to someone who didn't give as much of a shit... which a few of the old timers including Anfa also agreed
anfa wrote:
Eve wrote:
kittie wrote:
Eve wrote:

My best guess is pscbuzz is scrounging to find a buyer..........right now!

Anyone have a guess at how much it takes to keep this place running? I can't afford it, but I've always thought about how nice it would be if someone who participated also owned the site.

EXACTLY!!!!1

Bring back Jeremy!
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1
It's never been the same since he sold it. He was one of the founders and gave a shit about the place and the people, not like the owners we've had after him that seem to buy it in the hope they can make some advertising revenue and just leave the place to run itself. Bastards! Evil or Very Mad

This place cannot run itself. You cannot run a business (in this case a website) and hope that it just works on its own. JMH was here everyday doing something and participating within the community.

I'm OK with getting rid of votes for source pictures. I'm OK with finding somewhere to get stock photos from. I even agree to knock the votes down to like 10, 15 max... I agree with getting new ownership (someone who isn't going to just hope this all works out) preferably one who actually likes photoshop... I agree, that people like me and kittie go away from the site for a few months, and come back when we have the time. THE top chopper agrees as well
Claf wrote:
PotHed wrote:
If one more person tries to convince me that 50% of the people on this site just don't have time anymore, I'm going to shoot up an orphanage.

Laughing
I will say... it's the main reason of surely 50% of top choppers that I talked to about their low participation... but I don't know about the others...
I know that ReyRey one of the best here, doesn't have the time to play this game anymore...

I know that if you have pizza for lunch every day, you're going to get fucking tired of pizza... and one day probably end up with food poisoning.

I know that when I play MarioKart live on the Wii, and the Fucking Rainbow Bridge comes up AGAIN, I go Fucking INsane.

I know that using that above analogy of a game map isn't really a good analogy because that map (Rainbow Bridge) will never be some how a different rainbow bridge track...

Unfortunately until the ownership one is fixed. we can sit here and call each other names, and it's not going to change anything.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am   Reply with quote         

PotHed wrote:
Why don't you do something more useful with your time like crossing the Pacific in a stone kayak?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80URrQO1cU4[/youtube]

anfa

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:07 am   Reply with quote         

What year were non-anonymous contests brought in?

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:30 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
What year were non-anonymous contests brought in?

Is this a trick question Raising Brow

I would assume the year the site started. Razz

as for anonymous contests....
I think those have only been around a few years now. It was after a loud cry of 'vote whoring' and how this would take care of it...

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:43 am   Reply with quote         

That's not really an advantage.

I was referring to the repetitive maps. When the same map comes up, it is identical to itself, making it a different situation than the somewhat similar sources. Read better, please. I own an xbox, and I play COD. It is not an assumption, it is something learned from experience. The crappy people love the tiny circular maps like Dome in MW3, because that map is a cluster fuck and anything can happen. It was the same with Nuketown in Black Ops. The frequency is a problem in your analogy, because you're painting a picture of constantly playing the same maps in every single lobby, which is much more than the maps just occurring more frequently than expected by chance.

The lunch analogy was created by you, simply replacing sources with food, drastically amplifying the frequency, and not providing a new argument as to why that would happen. In that way, it is definitely useless, in addition to it being an unlikely event with so many variables that have to happen, like people leaving and coming back and voting for the pizza. I believe if people had pizza the one day, they would not eat it the next day (an assumption, which is just as valid as your assumption that built the hypothetical), making that entire scenario where people leave and come back voting for pizza not likely. You made the hypothetical with pizza happening every day. As it's a daily situation, like the daily contests, the frequency should definitely match up. So it should be, at worst, eating pizza five times in three weeks, which isn't bad at all. There's no need to change the food. As you can see, I'm from New York. We love pizza.

And I definitely made the points in my previous post earlier in the thread.

anfa

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:46 am   Reply with quote         

It was all anonymous(like the Thursday contests where you can see the comments and votes but not the voters) when I joined and then the non-anonymous was brought in.

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 am   Reply with quote         

anfa wrote:
It was all anonymous(like the Thursday contests where you can see the comments and votes but not the voters) when I joined and then the non-anonymous was brought in.

I see. I didn't know that they weren't anon at all when I got here in Sept of 2005.

I do like the current Thursday Anon though.

Besides, I was just giving you a hard time Tony Smile

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:01 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
As you can see, I'm from New York. We love pizza.

It's just too bad Chicago makes it better! Laughing

Oh yes, I did just go there! Twisted Evil

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

Clearly you are insane. The pizza here is infinitely superior.

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:11 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

you have not stated why it is superior, and therefore your argument is invalid. I claim that you are being intellectually dishonest. No pizza for you.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:13 am   Reply with quote         

TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

you have not stated why it is superior, and therefore your argument is invalid. I claim that you are being intellectually dishonest. No pizza for you.

Shit, I really want pizza every day.

kittie

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

You guys don't know what the hell you're talking about. My mom made the best pizza I know!! That clearly makes the pizza that I make the best.

TheShaman

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:17 am   Reply with quote         

Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:
TheShaman wrote:
Werdnaibor wrote:

you an the other co-workers of yours. I'm getting tired of having pizza every day. So I'm going to pout in this corner over here and eat my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But when you guys order... Could you get one with Sausage so I can swipe a piece when you're not looking? I'm going to eat that over by the bridge with the statue of some guy sitting in a car.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - Brain Storm - How to increase participation - Reply to topic