Photoshop Contest PhotoshopContest.com
Creative Contests. Real Prizes. Essential Resource.
You are not logged in. Log in or Register

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Socks - Reply to topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Synthvet

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:31 pm   Reply with quote         

Laughing

shane.e.randall

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:48 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
anfa wrote:
I think they are getting too detailed and too big.

I agree. Socks should be, well, sockish. I believe most of the best socks have been created actual size, zooming in on a very small canvas rather than creating a larger sock and trying to scale it down. At any rate, if sock-making gets going again, I highly recommend (1) setting up some some guidelines so newbies have to stick around and EARN a sock (search forums for various sock-related threads), and (2) we keep more than one sock artist on the job, although it is VERY important to coordinate with each other about who does which socks. I enjoyed doing the socks I made and found it useful to survey each "client" to get a sense of what they might like (favorite color, hobbies, other interest, favorite animals, etc). Socks historically are VERY popular, and Cynn used to be "socked" even with Reinman acting as the Sock Police. As for who can currently code them, BTVS and Grefix have both been "gatekeepers." There may be others able to add new socks to the chat code too.

This whole sock thing sounds pretty serious!

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm   Reply with quote         

shane.e.randall wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
anfa wrote:
I think they are getting too detailed and too big.

I agree. Socks should be, well, sockish. I believe most of the best socks have been created actual size, zooming in on a very small canvas rather than creating a larger sock and trying to scale it down. At any rate, if sock-making gets going again, I highly recommend (1) setting up some some guidelines so newbies have to stick around and EARN a sock (search forums for various sock-related threads), and (2) we keep more than one sock artist on the job, although it is VERY important to coordinate with each other about who does which socks. I enjoyed doing the socks I made and found it useful to survey each "client" to get a sense of what they might like (favorite color, hobbies, other interest, favorite animals, etc). Socks historically are VERY popular, and Cynn used to be "socked" even with Reinman acting as the Sock Police. As for who can currently code them, BTVS and Grefix have both been "gatekeepers." There may be others able to add new socks to the chat code too.

This whole sock thing sounds pretty serious!

Yup! lol
http://photoshopcontest.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3004

Synthvet

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:36 pm   Reply with quote         

The-Masked-Layer

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:41 pm   Reply with quote         

Okay, so if I gave this sock to Werd... it would be legit? What steps would need to be taken to get a sock ratified? He's a guitarist (music grad) who currently moonlights as a security guard.

kittie

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I'm almost a little sorry that I brought it up.

I should have known it would turn into some sort of defensive war over the old days, like most topics tend to do.
Just want to do something nice, cripes.

The-Masked-Layer

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 pm   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:

I should have known it would turn into some sort of defensive war over the old days, like most topics tend to do.

Laughing Laughing

It's funny. You don't hear anything about this stuff until you try it, and then everybody jumps on it like you were pissing in Holy Water! Laughing

shane.e.randall

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:56 pm   Reply with quote         

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHJBqF6oRI[/youtube]

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 pm   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:

Not to worry, Kittie. Reviving the socks IS something nice. I have my opinions about sock styles, but the first Marco sock made that a moot point. I DO advise sock artists to look at their creations scaled down to chat-code size (whatever that is) before calling them "done." You might be surprised what details are lost. One of the musical-themed socks looks like it has fleas, imo.

Us old-skoolers will always rant and rave about days gone by. You little whippersnappers will just have to nod your heads and smile as you walk by our rocking chairs. I think, Kittie, if you had something more in mind other than a free-for-all, now's your chance to speak up. Otherwise, if you just wanted to make some friends some socks, go for it. Hug (Edit: As if I had any authority! Gah! In MY day... wha? Time for meds? ........*drool*)

Long live the socks!

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:01 pm   Reply with quote         

What are that socks you all talking about? Is that cotton feet prisons people use in those western countries?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS1YPPPUEKE[/youtube]

anfa

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:09 pm   Reply with quote         

Synthvet wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

kittie

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm   Reply with quote         

cafn8d wrote:
kittie wrote:

Not to worry, Kittie. Reviving the socks IS something nice. I have my opinions about sock styles, but the first Marco sock made that a moot point. I DO advise sock artists to look at their creations scaled down to chat-code size (whatever that is) before calling them "done." You might be surprised what details are lost. One of the musical-themed socks looks like it has fleas, imo.

Us old-skoolers will always rant and rave about days gone by. You little whippersnappers will just have to nod your heads and smile as you walk by our rocking chairs. I think, Kittie, if you had something more in mind other than a free-for-all, now's your chance to speak up. Otherwise, if you just wanted to make some friends some socks, go for it. Hug (Edit: As if I had any authority! Gah! In MY day... wha? Time for meds? ........*drool*)

Long live the socks!

No, I like this. I need to know the proper size specifications though... that's really what I wanted from the beginning, was to see if people knew the right sizes for everything. I see who codes now, so that helps.
I don't think a free-for-all is a good idea at all, and if I need to do ALL of the socks in order to prevent this, then I will.
I'm really loving TML's socks, though scaling them down may/may not present a problem. If he feels like making socks, maybe we can work together on them.

Working small from the start as you suggest sounds like the best way to do it. I'm also good with the "rules" for obtaining a sock and all of that.

I can't start until after Thanksgiving, but if anyone wants a sock, then PM me and we'll go from there.

I'll try and revert to the more "socky form" as I agree that they started straying from their classic simple design. Mine's cute, but pretty deformed for a sock Crying or Very sad [sock:kittie]

YerPalAl

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:43 pm   Reply with quote         

I have a rey2 sock and if anybody is going to take it from me they will have to pry my cold, dead fingers off of i . . . . .

no wait, that's my gun. Embarassed

never mind.

cafn8d

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 pm   Reply with quote         

kittie wrote:
cafn8d wrote:
kittie wrote:

Long live the socks!

No, I like this. I need to know the proper size specifications though... that's really what I wanted from the beginning, was to see if people knew the right sizes for everything. I see who codes now, so that helps.
I don't think a free-for-all is a good idea at all, and if I need to do ALL of the socks in order to prevent this, then I will.
I'm really loving TML's socks, though scaling them down may/may not present a problem. If he feels like making socks, maybe we can work together on them.

Working small from the start as you suggest sounds like the best way to do it. I'm also good with the "rules" for obtaining a sock and all of that.

I can't start until after Thanksgiving, but if anyone wants a sock, then PM me and we'll go from there.

I'll try and revert to the more "socky form" as I agree that they started straying from their classic simple design. Mine's cute, but pretty deformed for a sock Crying or Very sad [sock:kittie]

[Like]

Beyond style, I do feel that sticking to tradition of having to earn a sock does make getting one more meaningful. If I recall in the original sock "laws," one had to have an active conversation in chat... reviving the socks could (at least temporarily) revive the chat! Not to mention using one's new sock in chat!

the burning couch

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:58 pm   Reply with quote         

arcaico wrote:
Azionite wrote:
No offense to Marco and whoever picked up the sock making from Cynn, but nothing beats an original Cynn sock.

This is just brilliant:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I double quote that... although i mean offense to marco...

DAMN YOU , marco....DAMN YOU!!

*!!*

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Photoshop Contest Forum Index - General Discussion - Socks - Reply to topic